Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

On 5/30/2019 at 5:13 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm not sure what type of writing you do in your program or what sort of help you need but have found these books very helpful:

How to Write a Lot by Paul J. Silvia

The Glamour of Grammar by Roy Peter Clark

Writing Empirical Research Reports by Fred Pyrczak

thank you :) I am doing a Masters in Public Policy 

• 5 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 3:23 AM, catalysis said:

advice on my new laptop: Macbook Pro or Macbook Air? 

I'm going to do a Chemistry PhD, specifically organic chemistry, so no need for fancy modeling software, just office and some chemdraw or data analysis (plus TA duty, but that shouldn't require much horsepower). I'm leaning toward the Pro at the moment, because it would be more futureproof and also because a dual core CPU doesn't "feel" enough... idk, anyone using chemdraw or other heavy software on a 2018 macbok air? 

I'm not a Mac user so I can't really answer the question fully. If you're not too fussy about the technical specs, why not simply go for the cheaper option?

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, catalysis said:

I'm going to do a Chemistry PhD, specifically organic chemistry, so no need for fancy modeling software, just office and some chemdraw or data analysis (plus TA duty, but that shouldn't require much horsepower). I'm leaning toward the Pro at the moment, because it would be more futureproof and also because a dual core CPU doesn't "feel" enough... idk, anyone using chemdraw or other heavy software on a 2018 macbok air? 

I'd definitely opt for something less fragile and proprietary than a Mac. Lenovo's ThinkPad laptops are absolute beasts, super durable and powerful without being crazy expensive. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, catalysis said:

I am still using my 2013 MacBook Pro.  A little slow by today's standards but still faster than the 2018 MacBook Air.  You likely got something by now but if you (or anyone) is still considering an Air, the M1 Air is a better deal but not sure if ChemDraw will run on it. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, Oklash said:

I’m resisting the urge to buy a new work bag because I only have acceptance so far. But I want it so badly!!

I'm just making a list at this point. I want SO MANY things! But I'll most likely be moving out of state, and I figure it'll be easier to make most purchases after I move instead of having more to pack. 

11 minutes ago, cecsav said:

I'm just making a list at this point. I want SO MANY things! But I'll most likely be moving out of state, and I figure it'll be easier to make most purchases after I move instead of having more to pack. 

Yea definitely after the move for me too. 

But I am looking at the 15 inch Cambridge Satchel in Oxblood