Grad students: How do you take notes?

I will be starting my grad program in the fall and am curious as to how most SLP grad students take notes during class! I have a macbook but it would be annoying to bring around school with my other materials. Would an iPad w/ keyboard be beneficial? Or should I just stick to the old fashioned paper and pen? Any input would be appreciated, thanks! :)

I did computer and eventually my iPad. Helpful to put notes right on PowerPoints or PDFs. A handful of classmates took notes by hand but most were computer. 

For me it depends on the class. I know some professors didn't want you to bring  your laptop to class so for those I would print out the power-point slides and then make any additional notes directly on the slides. However these past two semesters I have taken notes directly on my laptop. 

3 hours ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

For me it depends on the class. I know some professors didn't want you to bring  your laptop to class so for those I would print out the power-point slides and then make any additional notes directly on the slides. However these past two semesters I have taken notes directly on my laptop. 

I agree—it usually depends on the class as some profs don’t allow laptops/devices out in class. Otherwise I do a combo of colored pens and paper along with notes on PowerPoints. I also recommend recording class sessions if you can—sometimes it’s nice to listen back through class sessions if you missed something or when you’re studying.

Edited by Swishfish22

I second the previous posts. I typically take notes on OneNote and also record my lectures. I’m not a electronic learner so I print the notes off and study it. I also listen to the lectures. 

My program allows us to use electronics during class for notes so I plan on using my laptop to either type in the notes section of the PowerPoint they’re using or in google docs so that way I have access anywhere to notes in case something happens to my laptop. I also plan on bringing a notebook in case I forget my laptop or it dies or something during class as I don’t have a place to charge, etc

I have a couple of friends who take notes by hand, but most take them on their laptops. I take them right on the PowerPoint slides. There are some classes (like neuro) where there was NO way we could get all of the information down in our lectures if we hand-wrote. If I have a tough test to study for I go though my notes and hand-write them. If you're anything like me and my cohort, you will become the bag lady/guy once grad school starts. We live on campus so we are always carrying a million things around! So it would be nice to have a light laptop or iPad, but not necessary.

I'm really surprised that some professors don't allow laptops at the graduate level!! I guess you will need to wait and see if any of your professors have that policy before you make a plan. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a blog post on it that says hand writing is better than typing. I know typing is faster, but who knows? http://www.thespeechblog.com/stop-typing-notes-4-evidence-based-reasons-hand-write-notes/ 

I wonder the same thing! I have a Macbook and also the new iPad. In undergrad, I have always personally preferred to have my notes electronically. It makes things so much easier to find when looking back on notes for a specific topic. I'm debating on whether I should use my Macbook and only type or use my iPad and get a keyboard attachment so I can write and also type notes too if need be! 

If you do have the opportunity to use an ipad or tablet, I HIGHLY recommend using the app Notability. You can download the slides to the app and then record the lectures while taking notes on the slide with a stylus (or your finger). When you go back to review the notes, you can click your notes and it will take you to that exact part of the recording so you don't have to skip around and guess where you were. I think the app itself was like $20 max (maybe $10?) but seriously soooooooo worth it.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:20 PM, SLPtobe22 said:

There's a blog post on it that says hand writing is better than typing. I know typing is faster, but who knows? http://www.thespeechblog.com/stop-typing-notes-4-evidence-based-reasons-hand-write-notes/ 

I was planning on taking handwritten notes to begin with, since when I make a typing error it drives me nuts and I have to correct it, making typing actually take longer than handwriting. I also read this article and now I am even more sold on handwritten notes. Go with what the evidence tells you!

It depends for me, I like having my computer because its faster, but I turn off the internet because that can be distracting.I also like taking notes on paper when I am super distracted. Most of my class uses their computers.