Is it GPA suicide to complete 30 credits in two semesters (fall/spring)?

My program requires 30 credits and theoretically can be completed within one academic year...is this even realistic? Or should I stretch out the credits over 1.5-2 years instead?  I'd like to hang on to my sanity and have some semblance of a social life (hobbies, exercise, family/friend time, volunteering, pets, etc.)  I know that Columbia has a reputation as a stress factory.  I looked at the course list for my department and an individual course is typically 3-5 credits.  I need to be enrolled FT to be in graduate housing, but I am willing to live off-campus.  

I would stretch it if I were you. When I went through my master's I got questioned multiple times by the department committee that oversees graduation and doctoral admissions on why I did my master's so quickly. (I started spring 17 and graduated end of spring 18 - so 1.5 years essentially for me) They had a valid point for bringing it up. Graduate school is not about how quickly you can power through the program, it is about giving yourself time to truly master the concepts and create original research (if applicable), or have time to reflect on what the content is (transformative learning).

That said, I had a good reason to go through mine quickly because I knew I wanted to get started with the PhD as quickly as I could knowing it would take 4-5 years. I am already in my late 20's and I started on an off-term being that it was January and I had to be finished in time for a fall start for the PhD. I did not want to take time off in between (except for a summer).

Long story short, it is your decision, but I would not do the entire degree in a single academic year. Maybe a fall, spring, summer trimester type timeframe, but I would not go quicker than that if it was my decision. Good luck!

Along the lines of what Sandmaster said, I would consider what your objectives are.  I can't tell immediately by the credentials listed in your signature.  If you're planning on a professional job, it might be worth it to rush through.  If you're planning on a doctorate, it's probably worth it to take your time and use the "spare" time to try to get a publication of some variety and otherwise improve your PhD application.

8 hours ago, E-P said:

Along the lines of what Sandmaster said, I would consider what your objectives are.  I can't tell immediately by the credentials listed in your signature.  If you're planning on a professional job, it might be worth it to rush through.  If you're planning on a doctorate, it's probably worth it to take your time and use the "spare" time to try to get a publication of some variety and otherwise improve your PhD application.

Thanks.  I don't plan to get a PhD (I'm too old to start-2010 college grad here).  I'm interested in human rights/UN work/international development. 

On 7/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

I don't plan to get a PhD (I'm too old to start-2010 college grad here).

Duuuuuude.  I graduated undergrad in 2004, and I'll be finishing my PhD around age 39.  Most of the people starting the PhD program at my school are in their 30s.  Looking in this forum, a good chunk of folks are in their 30s, with a handful 40s+.  Doing a PhD/academia as a second career is very, very common.

Basically, don't let being in your late 20s stop you if that's what you want.  You would certainly not be the oldest person in your PhD cohort, if you go that route.

And it's probably a good idea to not say you're "too old" to do something in a mixed audience, since there will certainly be people present who are older than you. :P  Probably more relevant a pro-tip for future day jobs than random strangers on the Internet.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:20 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

My program requires 30 credits and theoretically can be completed within one academic year...is this even realistic? Or should I stretch out the credits over 1.5-2 years instead?  I'd like to hang on to my sanity and have some semblance of a social life (hobbies, exercise, family/friend time, volunteering, pets, etc.)  I know that Columbia has a reputation as a stress factory.  I looked at the course list for my department and an individual course is typically 3-5 credits.  I need to be enrolled FT to be in graduate housing, but I am willing to live off-campus.  

I know programs vary greatly in structure, credits, etc, so my situation is certainly different from yours. That being said, I will be taking 14 credits a semester for the first year of my two-year program (not going above and beyond, this is required for the program) and will also be doing on-campus clinical work, so I think 30 credits in a year is certainly doable with some sacrifices. You probably would not be able to work much and your personal life will most likely suffer, but it depends on your priorities. If getting out a year earlier is worth it to you then go for it. If you are not pursuing a PhD then your GPA is not super important, as long as you maintain the minimum. 

Of course, finances also matter. If taking too many credits at a time affects your finances then it would probably be better to hang on for the extra year.

Edited by bibliophile222

19 hours ago, E-P said:

Duuuuuude.  I graduated undergrad in 2004, and I'll be finishing my PhD around age 39.  Most of the people starting the PhD program at my school are in their 30s.  Looking in this forum, a good chunk of folks are in their 30s, with a handful 40s+.  Doing a PhD/academia as a second career is very, very common.

Basically, don't let being in your late 20s stop you if that's what you want.  You would certainly not be the oldest person in your PhD cohort, if you go that route.

And it's probably a good idea to not say you're "too old" to do something in a mixed audience, since there will certainly be people present who are older than you. :P  Probably more relevant a pro-tip for future day jobs than random strangers on the Internet.

You're probably right!  I am concerned about age discrimination tho.  

22 hours ago, telkanuru said:

LOL?

In Indian culture, you need to live life in a linear fashion-finish school, get married, buy a house, have kids, by certain ages.  The pressure is real.  

2 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

In Indian culture, you need to live life in a linear fashion-finish school, get married, buy a house, have kids, by certain ages.  The pressure is real.  

In American culture, too. I wasn't supposed to take 9 years to finish my undergraduate, and I wasn't supposed to devolve from my middle-class family into working at a grocery store. Life's weird. 

Edited by telkanuru

On 7/5/2018 at 6:20 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

...Is this even realistic? Or should I stretch out the credits over 1.5-2 years instead?  

Even if you can do it one year, and do it very well, should you? Professors can hold strong POVs about graduate students accelerating their paths to a degree. Will the savings in time and money be worth the potential, hidden cost of losing prestige in their eyes? 

(I knew a guy who burned his bridges rather spectacularly because he wanted to get his doctorate on an accelerated time table. He got his degree and a PNG on about the same day.)

Recommendation: Get a sense of the lay of the land in your department. Understand that the response you receive may not be the actual answer.

Edited by Sigaba

38 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

(I knew a guy who burned his bridges rather spectacularly because he wanted to get his doctorate on an accelerated time table. He got his degree and a PNG on about the same day.)

I'm having a derp moment.  What is a PNG?

18 hours ago, telkanuru said:

In American culture, too. I wasn't supposed to take 9 years to finish my undergraduate, and I wasn't supposed to devolve from my middle-class family into working at a grocery store. Life's weird. 

Well, good for you for making it to the finish line!  My dad still gives me hell over taking 6 years to graduate law school instead of 3. ?

• 1 year later...

I just finished my first year in a life sciences PhD program. I took 18 credits the first semester and 19 credits the second semester completing all of my required coursework in a year. Needless to say I was incredibly busy between coursework and still trying to make time for lab work. I did well in all of my classes, with an overall gpa of 3.8. I think if you really feel you need to delve into the courses you are taking, taking fewer courses over time may be helpful so you have adequate time to spend on each class because each class will be demanding and you want to get the full benefit of the material you cover. But if you think you can have a handle on the material, a year is totally doable in my experience.

Oh one more note- I had a discussion about taking all of my courses in one year with my advisor and the program department head before attempting this. I had their full support which I think was essential because overall I had much less time in lab since I was taking more classes. If my advisor was not on board, I think it would have been very difficult (and very unpleasant) to try to do this.