Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

19 minutes ago, QueMono said:

Rejection. I'm 0 for 3 babies!!! Have fun!

I'm sorry! ? Maybe next year? Some of the most brilliant people I know--who also helped review my applications--said it took them a couple of tries but they were able to gain research experience in the meantime and be outstanding applicants their second go round! 

Hi all! I’ve been a lurker for months, but since I’m about to be in decision mode, I wanted to meet others considering my same programs. 

To the person admitted to UMB, Rutgers, and Denver - I’m waitlisted for Denver and admitted to the other two (as well as four others), but I love Denver and wondered if/when you were making a decision and what it was?

My other options are Illinois, Case, Michigan State, and the Brown School at WashU. Hoping to do intervention research (using creative writing techniques) working with gender-based violence.

15 hours ago, thelifeinpink said:

Hi all! I’ve been a lurker for months, but since I’m about to be in decision mode, I wanted to meet others considering my same programs. 

To the person admitted to UMB, Rutgers, and Denver - I’m waitlisted for Denver and admitted to the other two (as well as four others), but I love Denver and wondered if/when you were making a decision and what it was?

My other options are Illinois, Case, Michigan State, and the Brown School at WashU. Hoping to do intervention research (using creative writing techniques) working with gender-based violence.

Wow, you really killed it this season! Congratulations!!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:31 PM, thelifeinpink said:

I was admitted to MSU, UMB, and Denver but I did not apply to Rutgers, so I'm not sure if you're talking about me? 

I accepted my offer to Denver on Friday though, and am emailing the other schools today to let them know. I work in the area of gender-based violence too, although my research is more focused on restorative justice/practices in violence-based work environments and restorative communities for offenders post-incarceration. WashU is really impressive--congrats! I'm sure you know, but MSU has Researcher Consortium on Gender-based Violence; I work with someone now at UT who previously directed the consortium. I've heard mixed feelings about the program and rigour (I went through and read all of the PhD students/candidates CVs for all schools and MSU student's had the least robust CVs with few, if any, publications and lots of "writing literature reviews" as their GRA assignments. UMB was better, and DU had some really impressive opportunities to publish a lot, be involved, and really get to lead efforts--and I'm sure would be the case with WashU too).

You seem to have a lot of options, that's fantastic. You really did kill it this season! It took me months just to put together three applications while working, can't imagine putting together 7 and doing so well! Very impressive. 

Also, I do know that DU had 6 spots and I am only sure of 2 that have officially accepted their offer (including myself), so good luck and I hope you get into the one you want!

Edited by MCC778

6 minutes ago, MCC778 said:

I was admitted to MSU, UMB, and Denver but not Rutgers, so I'm not sure if you're talking about me? 

I accepted my offer to Denver on Friday though, and am emailing the other schools today to let them know. I work in the area of gender-based violence too, although my research is more focused on restorative justice/practices in violence-based work environments and restorative communities for offenders post-incarceration. WashU is really impressive--congrats! I'm sure you know, but MSU has Researcher Consortium on Gender-based Violence; I work with someone now at UT who previously directed the consortium. I've heard mixed feelings about the program and rigour (I went through and read all of the PhD students/candidates CVs for all schools and MSU student's had the least robust CVs with few, if any, publications and lots of "writing literature reviews" as their GRA assignments. UMB was better, and DU had some really impressive opportunities to publish a lot, be involved, and really get to lead efforts. 

You seem to have a lot of options, that's fantastic. You really did kill it this season! It took me months just to put together three applications while working, can't imagine putting together 7 and doing so well! Very impressive. 

Also, I do know that DU had 6 spots and I am only sure of 2 that have been officially accepted (including myself), so good luck and I hope you get into the one you want!

Congrats! I am not sure if you were the person I was talking about (this may been someone on the results page). That said, I saw some of your other posts and was hoping we might end up at the same place, although maybe we won’t now if you’re going to DU. :( Who are you hoping to work with at Denver? And was their funding offer decent? That was a little concerning to me. 

At MSU I’d be working with Carrie Moylan and be affiliated with the RCGV, so that is definitely a draw. I think WashU and Illinois are the two most likely ones because it’s closer to family, and my partner works at Illinois. I have one campus visit left (Rutgers) so then it’ll be crunch time!

I'm hoping to work with Shannon Sliva, who does restorative justice work in the criminal justice system and legislature in Colorado. I LOVED visiting Denver, everyone seemed really invested in their students (I've been working in academia for almost 6 years, so I definitely know that's not always the case at an R1 or R2). They had the best funding. I was able to tell them what UMB and MSU gave me and they gave me additional funding to surpass my other offers. Overall, I'm looking about abut $2500-$2800/mo living expenses (they're currently taking the ask up a notch to the graduate department to ask for even more funding) on top of tuition remission, health care, travel/professional development stipends, and the ability to still work for pay with collaborative departments. They have been incredibly supportive in negotiating, even encouraging, which definitely helped me make my decision. 

That's great! My colleague works a lot with Moylan, and I know I've cited her work several times. I wasn't too pleased with the faculty supervisor MSU offered me (he is set to graduate from UC in June, so will be very new. I'm sure I could have asked about it but DU has just been much more responsive and supportive through the whole process. Too often people assume RJ interests are affiliated with solely juvenile justice, which mine aren't but that's the field he's in; so that didn't really draw me to the school any more than the extreme cold ? ). 

Wow, you've been able to visit all campuses! That's awesome. I've literally only visited Denver (I know, bias) and was thinking about the MSU open-house but decided against since I accepted Denver Friday and don't want to waste anyone else's resources flying me out. I've heard great things about Rutgers though too--Sarah McMahon is GREAT. She does a lot of work with bystander intervention and sexual violence and is super kind and chill to talk to. I've consulted in her for a few projects from my work and she's always been a pleasure to talk to. Either way, you have some really great options--you can't really go wrong! (As long as they're offering enough funding!)

8 hours ago, MCC778 said:

I'm hoping to work with Shannon Sliva, who does restorative justice work in the criminal justice system and legislature in Colorado. I LOVED visiting Denver, everyone seemed really invested in their students (I've been working in academia for almost 6 years, so I definitely know that's not always the case at an R1 or R2). They had the best funding. I was able to tell them what UMB and MSU gave me and they gave me additional funding to surpass my other offers. Overall, I'm looking about abut $2500-$2800/mo living expenses (they're currently taking the ask up a notch to the graduate department to ask for even more funding) on top of tuition remission, health care, travel/professional development stipends, and the ability to still work for pay with collaborative departments. They have been incredibly supportive in negotiating, even encouraging, which definitely helped me make my decision. 

That's great! My colleague works a lot with Moylan, and I know I've cited her work several times. I wasn't too pleased with the faculty supervisor MSU offered me (he is set to graduate from UC in June, so will be very new. I'm sure I could have asked about it but DU has just been much more responsive and supportive through the whole process. Too often people assume RJ interests are affiliated with solely juvenile justice, which mine aren't but that's the field he's in; so that didn't really draw me to the school any more than the extreme cold ? ). 

Wow, you've been able to visit all campuses! That's awesome. I've literally only visited Denver (I know, bias) and was thinking about the MSU open-house but decided against since I accepted Denver Friday and don't want to waste anyone else's resources flying me out. I've heard great things about Rutgers though too--Sarah McMahon is GREAT. She does a lot of work with bystander intervention and sexual violence and is super kind and chill to talk to. I've consulted in her for a few projects from my work and she's always been a pleasure to talk to. Either way, you have some really great options--you can't really go wrong! (As long as they're offering enough funding!)

That’s incredible! Kim Bender is awesome, and if I don’t get to go there, they’re the sort of place I’d want to work at. I’ve collaborated with Sarah McMahon a bit already so I’m super excited to finally meet her in person. I’m really excited for you and your forthcoming work in the field! My former colleague Rachel Storm is studying RJ concepts connected with campus SA if you’d be interested in reaching out to her (she’s an EPOL PhD student at Illinois). Best wishes to you!

I just got notice that I was rejected from UNC. The letter was very vague/from the Dean of the grad school so nothing as to why.

It's the only school I applied to because it was the only that really fit my interests. I'm not super surprised. My GRE score is a 296. I only will have 2 years post-MSW in August, and neither job post-grad is directly in social work. Might try the GRE again and re-apply in a few years. 

Good luck to everyone else!

On 3/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, Bms153 said:

For those that were accepted to Boston University, do you plan on attending?

Hi, first of all congratulations! I was also accepted to BUSSW, but did!’t make my final decisions yet. BU is really one of my top choices! I was also accepted to Brandeis University the Heller School(social policy) and waitlisted at University of Pennsylvania. So still struggling to make my decision. 

Did you make your final decision?

On 3/19/2019 at 11:19 AM, MSW_MK said:

I just got notice that I was rejected from UNC. The letter was very vague/from the Dean of the grad school so nothing as to why.

It's the only school I applied to because it was the only that really fit my interests. I'm not super surprised. My GRE score is a 296. I only will have 2 years post-MSW in August, and neither job post-grad is directly in social work. Might try the GRE again and re-apply in a few years. 

Good luck to everyone else!

If you're not very committed to only going to UNC, i'm sure you would be accepted into other programs ! I ended up getting accepted into several programs and I had a 298 GRE score , plus I am still in my MSW program and graduating this spring. 

I will be a PhD student at uOttawa (Ontario, Canada), next fall. But I would like to complete a semester abroad during my PhD, either in the UK or in the US. It would be after the coursework so in 2020 or 2021. My research topic is sexual violence in relation to online feminist movements. Do you know any female researcher who works on those two topics ? I am doing a bit of research on Google, so far I have identified three scholars (that are outside of Social Work) and one at Rutgers (in Social Work) that work precisely on these themes. Any help would be appreciated. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:11 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I will be a PhD student at uOttawa (Ontario, Canada), next fall. But I would like to complete a semester abroad during my PhD, either in the UK or in the US. It would be after the coursework so in 2020 or 2021. My research topic is sexual violence in relation to online feminist movements. Do you know any female researcher who works on those two topics ? I am doing a bit of research on Google, so far I have identified three scholars (that are outside of Social Work) and one at Rutgers (in Social Work) that work precisely on these themes. Any help would be appreciated. 

Who are you looking at from Rutgers? I have been accepted to work with a lot of faculty focusing on sexual violence, so with a little more info on what your topic is looking like, I might have some further ideas from you!

19 hours ago, thelifeinpink said:

Who are you looking at from Rutgers? I have been accepted to work with a lot of faculty focusing on sexual violence, so with a little more info on what your topic is looking like, I might have some further ideas from you!

Sarah McHahon I believe is her name. Thanks!!

On 3/25/2019 at 9:11 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Sarah McMahon does a lot of great work on campus sexual assault and bystander intervention, especially in designing evaluative studies but I don't know how relevant it is to your interest in the intersection of online feminist movements. I would definitely branch out of social work and look into sociology and information scientists. There are a lot of great scholars in those fields whose work is grounded in feminism and also explores sexual violence. I wouldn't rule out computer science either, as more scholars are embracing humanism in digital discourse. English and/or Professional and Technical Communication fields would also be a place to explore. I completed part of a masters in Professional and Technical Communication (before I decided I wanted to go back for my PhD in Social Work) and it was very much entwined with internet movements, communication means, and social injustices ('twas my focus; but also was not out of the ordinary). 

Here's an interesting article from OpenGlobalRights about online feminist movements/digital (in)security along with its impact(s) on sexual violence (https://www.openglobalrights.org/embedding-digital-security-in-feminist-movement-building/). The author, Jennifer Radloff, does work with online feminist social change/movements. It's a good article to get an idea of the many intersecting fields of which you could pull from to learn more about scholars doing the kind of work you're planning to do. :)

Edited by MCC778

52 minutes ago, MCC778 said:

Sarah McMahon does a lot of great work on campus sexual assault and bystander intervention, especially in designing evaluative studies but I don't know how relevant it is to your interest in the intersection of online feminist movements. I would definitely branch out of social work and look into sociology and information scientists. There are a lot of great scholars in those fields whose work is grounded in feminism and also explores sexual violence. I wouldn't rule out computer science either, as more scholars are embracing humanism in digital discourse. English and/or Professional and Technical Communication fields would also be a place to explore. I completed part of a masters in Professional and Technical Communication (before I decided I wanted to go back for my PhD in Social Work) and it was very much entwined with internet movements, communication means, and social injustices ('twas my focus; but also was not out of the ordinary). 

Here's an interesting article from OpenGlobalRights about online feminist movements/digital (in)security along with its impact(s) on sexual violence (https://www.openglobalrights.org/embedding-digital-security-in-feminist-movement-building/). The author, Jennifer Radloff, does work with online feminist social change/movements. It's a good article to get an idea of the many intersecting fields of which you could pull from to learn more about scholars doing the kind of work you're planning to do. :)

thanks!! I'll look into that. 

Hey Everyone-

I'm a long time PhD dreamer and finally decided it is time to actually apply for a program. I really do not have people in my life who have pursued this level of education and I feel pretty lost.

For example, I'm looking at university website's and seeing that application deadlines are Dec/Jan mostly - I assume that means they will not be re-opening until next Dec/Jan (Dec 2019/ Jan 2020)? Or is it similar to undergrad programs where a application season opens again for a different semester start?

I have my MSW from University of Michigan, 2015 .GPA 3.8, advanced standing, policy focus. I have worked since then in case management at a hospital, and currently in long term care at a continuing care retirement community. I am very analytical and love data - my (very loose) research interests are to make SW a more subjective field where possible to earn wider respect for the field. I'm also interested in organizational policy development. I enjoy teaching as well and have been part of some staff training in both of my post MSW jobs.

I have reached out to a few professors from undergrad and  my Masters program who are willing to write a reference. To them my strong writing skills are what have stood out.

I know I should be trying to publish something, and I have little formal research experience other than what was completed for assignments in my Masters program statistics course.

I have not taken the GRE yet, plan to take in the next few months.

The head of my undergrad SW dept. suggested I look at Top 10 PhD programs because of the rank of my MSW school.

I was also accepted to Columbia and UPenn MSW programs.

Any advice from anyone out there??? Looking for honesty here

Edited by Dreamin'

6 hours ago, Dreamin' said:

Hey Everyone-

I'm a long time PhD dreamer and finally decided it is time to actually apply for a program. I really do not have people in my life who have pursued this level of education and I feel pretty lost.

For example, I'm looking at university website's and seeing that application deadlines are Dec/Jan mostly - I assume that means they will not be re-opening until next Dec/Jan (Dec 2019/ Jan 2020)? Or is it similar to undergrad programs where a application season opens again for a different semester start?

I have my MSW from University of Michigan, 2015 .GPA 3.8, advanced standing, policy focus. I have worked since then in case management at a hospital, and currently in long term care at a continuing care retirement community. I am very analytical and love data - my (very loose) research interests are to make SW a more subjective field where possible to earn wider respect for the field. I'm also interested in organizational policy development. I enjoy teaching as well and have been part of some staff training in both of my post MSW jobs.

I have reached out to a few professors from undergrad and  my Masters program who are willing to write a reference. To them my strong writing skills are what have stood out.

I know I should be trying to publish something, and I have little formal research experience other than what was completed for assignments in my Masters program statistics course.

The head of my undergrad SW dept. suggested I look at Top 10 PhD programs because of the rank of my MSW school.

Study for the GRE and aim for a high score, focus your research interests and identify professors whose interests match yours, and apply to schools with ideally three or more years of funding.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Dreamin' said:

Hey Everyone-

Don't be shy about getting in touch with faculty you are interested in working with and arranging informational interviews. Applying for a PhD is a different, more competitive ballgame than an MSW -- you're really applying to work with specific faculty whose interests align with your own and who have the capacity to mentor incoming students. During admissions, it's faculty who are choosing who they want to work with, so it's worth putting in the effort to make yourself known. It also helps you to better determine fit before you invest the time and resources into submitting an application.