2019 App Cycle

On 2/23/2019 at 7:42 AM, HighStrangeness said:

Just got an email from Dr. Groff at Temple saying that I am not offered one of the funded positions right now, but in the next few weeks they hope that I will be! I guess I’m on the waitlist for a funded spot. I may still go even if I don’t get funded.

Wow! It sounds like they are pretty confident they'll be able to offer you a funded spot, but I don't know if you should take an unfunded offer... you may never get funding and owe a lot of money by the end of the Ph.D., wouldn't it be better just to strengthen your application and reapply next year? I don't think you want to pay out of state at Temple for at least 4 years.

4 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Wow! It sounds like they are pretty confident they'll be able to offer you a funded spot, but I don't know if you should take an unfunded offer... you may never get funding and owe a lot of money by the end of the Ph.D., wouldn't it be better just to strengthen your application and reapply next year? I don't think you want to pay out of state at Temple for at least 4 years.

Yeah, my mentors told me I really shouldn’t accept an unfunded position. I was just excited when I wrote that so I feel now as if I won’t accept it if it is unfunded.

1 minute ago, HighStrangeness said:

Yeah, my mentors told me I really shouldn’t accept an unfunded position. I was just excited when I wrote that so I feel now as if I won’t accept it if it is unfunded.

No, it is definitely still exciting! You are so close, but don't let that excitement get in the way of logic. I read a bunch of opinions on whether it's a good idea to accepted an unfunded Ph.D. and most people said definite no and that the majority of unfunded Ph.D. students never get funding after the fact and actually drop out due to the cost. I would just take another year and try again! I have been hearing great success stories of taking a year and fixing parts of their application that were weak and getting accepted into every program they apply to! But don't give up hope it sounds like they are working to get you funding!

4 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

No, it is definitely still exciting! You are so close, but don't let that excitement get in the way of logic. I read a bunch of opinions on whether it's a good idea to accepted an unfunded Ph.D. and most people said definite no and that the majority of unfunded Ph.D. students never get funding after the fact and actually drop out due to the cost. I would just take another year and try again! I have been hearing great success stories of taking a year and fixing parts of their application that were weak and getting accepted into every program they apply to! But don't give up hope it sounds like they are working to get you funding!

I really think they are trying to get me a funded position. I actually talked to Jerry Rattcliffe today and he told me he wouldn’t even let me come and work with him if it wasn’t a funded position because it would be too much of a burden.

18 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

Just waiting on McGill Sociology...hopefully will hear in the next week or two. I will have to email them and ask for an update if I don't hear soon as Canadian schools don't follow the whole April 15th deadline.

Nice...I applied to U Ottawa & been emailing one of the professors about my research proposal. I’m also still waiting on 7 schools to reply!  SMH!

9 hours ago, newyorkmets188 said:

Have you heard anything? What is the status update for you?

I didn’t get into Albany, ASU (due to GRE scores), Cincinnati, MSU, UCF.

Still waiting to hear back from UM, UCI, FIU, UL, FSU. 

Also waiting to hear back from UK school University of Leister (6 weeks) & UOttawa (Canada). 

Only place that I’ve gotten into so far is Capella lol. ??

I’m getting sick of waiting to hear back from these 6-7 programs...like it has been 3 months + & they said they would let me know by late feb. 

44 minutes ago, BLM said:

I’m getting sick of waiting to hear back from these 6-7 programs...like it has been 3 months + & they said they would let me know by late feb. 

I don't mean to bring bad news but some programs have already accepted people and have denied people without telling them.  

29 minutes ago, newyorkmets188 said:

I don't mean to bring bad news but some programs have already accepted people and have denied people without telling them.  

It’s not bad news lol...I think you are right!

34 minutes ago, newyorkmets188 said:

What programs do you know of?

2 minutes ago, newyorkmets188 said:

A lot of programs have made decisions by now because the deadline to accept is April 15th. Some have not released decisions but most have. 

Yea, I don’t even care anymore...??

On 3/1/2019 at 7:23 PM, newyorkmets188 said:

A lot of programs have made decisions by now because the deadline to accept is April 15th. Some have not released decisions but most have. 

I’m just frustrated...I’m gonna call and see what’s up! 

22 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

any news???

Didn’t get into UOttowa cuz a certain professor didn’t like my research proposal! I can’t catch a break man! Didn’t get into UMD. Still waiting for FSU, Uci, UL & University of Leicester. At this point, I’m not gonna get in anywhere! 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, BLM said:

Didn’t get into UOttowa cuz a certain professor didn’t like my research proposal! I can’t catch a break man! Didn’t get into UMD. Still waiting for FSU, Uci, UL & University of Leicester. At this point, I’m not gonna get in anywhere! 

I am so sorry....