2019 App Cycle

3 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I found out this morning, they emailed me a long email stating they have made all their final decisions and that I was unfortunately not admitted because of a strong applicant pool and blah blah blah. I had emailed them last week asking for an update though so maybe that's why I heard back this morning. You should hear back soon! And I got into the University of Iowa's Sociology Ph.D. and Northeastern's Master's program so I have two options but I'm most likely going to choose the University of Iowa because there is a professor there who I really want to work with and it's fully funded lol! I hope you hear back from Temple soon and I hope it is good news :)

Ahh man I am feeling a sense of dread and rejection from Temple.

16 hours ago, BLM said:

Anybody heard from FSU yet? Just wanna know if I got in/rejected. 

I head back from them via email a few weeks back.

I got in. They said official decisions go out late Feb but they like to give funded PHDs a headsup for their preview day. Its possible you got in but with no funding. 

5 hours ago, newyorkmets188 said:

Well, I am glad that you are going somewhere where you are interested!!!! BTW, who did you email?

Just the email provided for contact and I just asked for my status! It was like cjgrad or something like that. I didn’t email anyone in particular.

4 hours ago, LisKis said:

I got in. They said official decisions go out late Feb but they like to give funded PHDs a headsup for their preview day. Its possible you got in but with no funding. 

That’s what I’m thinking! Gotten no luck so far...Thanks for that. 

25 minutes ago, HighStrangeness said:

Cool, just double checking haha. No I have seen like no Temple acceptances except the 2 I saw in December 

I was theorizing that Temple does it where they have waitlists for each individual spot that have specific research interests and once that spot has an official acceptance then everyone on that waitlist is rejected and if someone doesn’t take the spot they choose someone the next person ranked highest on that specifc waitlist.

1 hour ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I was theorizing that Temple does it where they have waitlists for each individual spot that have specific research interests and once that spot has an official acceptance then everyone on that waitlist is rejected and if someone doesn’t take the spot they choose someone the next person ranked highest on that specifc waitlist.

It could be, I want to work with Jerry Rattcliffe, who is my current mentor’s boyfriend. He likes me and my work and thinks we’d be a great fit, just depends on if the school believes that.

13 hours ago, LisKis said:

I would’ve gotten into two top programs (I asked) but my GRE scores are average! Pisses me off because I already have my MA from BU. I’ve never been a great test taker...IDK anymore man! 

Also, what  is your research topic?

10 hours ago, HighStrangeness said:

It could be, I want to work with Jerry Rattcliffe, who is my current mentor’s boyfriend. He likes me and my work and thinks we’d be a great fit, just depends on if the school believes that.

Sometimes it isn't up to the professor whether or not they want to work with you, unfortunately, it could just be that the committee (which he might now be on) decided that there was a stronger candidate regardless of the fact that the professor likes you and wants to work with you ?. Have you been accepted elsewhere? You aren't just waiting on this program I hope!

5 hours ago, BLM said:

I would’ve gotten into two top programs (I asked) but my GRE scores are average! Pisses me off because I already have my MA from BU. I’ve never been a great test taker...IDK anymore man! 

Also, what  is your research topic?

Crimes against humanity, mainly looking into causes/prevention of genocide, hate crimes and war crimes

On 2/17/2019 at 9:27 PM, RipCityBaby said:

I’m in the same boat, not sure what is takening so long? I emailed the graduate secretary last Monday but haven’t heard back from her. They also don’t do a spring visit day? I’m going to go up in a few weeks anyway to see the campus. 

Are you a Canadian student or American? I’m American so extra concerned about funding as I know it’s limited for non-citizens/perm residents.

Hi! 

I am American, so yes, I am also super concerned about funding! From my understanding, no, they don't do a visitation weekend. I am flying out there the second week of March to check out the campus. I have a friend who got accepted last year and she was offered $17,000 but Vancouver is a really expensive area. I've also heard that you can get TA or RA positions on top of the stipend, but I'm unsure if Canadian citizens have priority. 

2 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Sometimes it isn't up to the professor whether or not they want to work with you, unfortunately, it could just be that the committee (which he might now be on) decided that there was a stronger candidate regardless of the fact that the professor likes you and wants to work with you ?. Have you been accepted elsewhere? You aren't just waiting on this program I hope!

No acceptances elsewhere yet, and only one rejection from ASU. But my mentors here have reworked the budget of our research lab to keep me on until the end of the year with pay, where I will attempt to get publications out as well as improve my GPA and grades even further.

17 minutes ago, HighStrangeness said:

No acceptances elsewhere yet, and only one rejection from ASU. But my mentors here have reworked the budget of our research lab to keep me on until the end of the year with pay, where I will attempt to get publications out as well as improve my GPA and grades even further.

Where else are you waiting on?? 

5 hours ago, teddypicker said:

Hi! 

I am American, so yes, I am also super concerned about funding! From my understanding, no, they don't do a visitation weekend. I am flying out there the second week of March to check out the campus. I have a friend who got accepted last year and she was offered $17,000 but Vancouver is a really expensive area. I've also heard that you can get TA or RA positions on top of the stipend, but I'm unsure if Canadian citizens have priority. 

I saw an email earlier today that the official letters are going out within a week or so, hopefully we can both rest easy once those come in. I think I am going to head up there around mid March as well. Here's hoping we both get some funding! $17,000 is better than nothing for sure - is your friend Canadian? I do think they get more funding than international students.