2019 App Cycle

On 2/12/2019 at 10:29 PM, RipCityBaby said:

Hey, that’s my research interest too! I found it hard to find good supervisors that are critical criminologists and race scholars. So I also applied to sociology programs because the criminologists in those programs tend to be more critical, and there are also usually race scholars in soc departments. So far, one sociology acceptance and one criminology acceptance. But the top programs really didn’t have the right people for me.

Heard from any other programs? Got rejected from Penn state. Waiting on UM, Irvine, FSU, FIU, UL & UOttawa. 

Rejected from University of Toronto.

Still waiting on Berkeley (Jurisprudence and Social Policy), American (Justice, Law, & Criminology), and McGill (Sociology).

At the moment it looks like I will be headed to Simon Fraser and just hoping for some pittance of funding. 

8 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

Still waiting on Berkeley (Jurisprudence and Social Policy), American (Justice, Law, & Criminology), and McGill (Sociology).

At the moment it looks like I will be headed to Simon Fraser and just hoping for some pittance of funding. 

I just heard from American (Justice, Law, & Criminology). I got accepted with funding and travel support!

16 minutes ago, newyorkmets188 said:

YAYYYY!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, MVyer said:

Congrats! Just got accepted to American as well -- research assistantship funding and travel support. So happy!

Nice job!! Congrats!!!

On 2/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, newyorkmets188 said:

I just heard from American (Justice, Law, & Criminology). I got accepted with funding and travel support!

On 2/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, newyorkmets188 said:

CONGRATZ!

On 2/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, teddypicker said:

To anyone accepted to Simon Fraser University, have you received an official letter from GPS (Graduate and Post Doc Studies)? I have not heard about funding/information on how to accept/decline their offer...

I’m in the same boat, not sure what is takening so long? I emailed the graduate secretary last Monday but haven’t heard back from her. They also don’t do a spring visit day? I’m going to go up in a few weeks anyway to see the campus. 

Are you a Canadian student or American? I’m American so extra concerned about funding as I know it’s limited for non-citizens/perm residents.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:43 AM, RipCityBaby said:

Congrats on Simon Fraser  & American. 

24 minutes ago, newyorkmets188 said:

When and how did you find out? I still have not received anything. Where are you going?

I found out this morning, they emailed me a long email stating they have made all their final decisions and that I was unfortunately not admitted because of a strong applicant pool and blah blah blah. I had emailed them last week asking for an update though so maybe that's why I heard back this morning. You should hear back soon! And I got into the University of Iowa's Sociology Ph.D. and Northeastern's Master's program so I have two options but I'm most likely going to choose the University of Iowa because there is a professor there who I really want to work with and it's fully funded lol! I hope you hear back from Temple soon and I hope it is good news :)

1 hour ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I found out this morning, they emailed me a long email stating they have made all their final decisions and that I was unfortunately not admitted because of a strong applicant pool and blah blah blah. I had emailed them last week asking for an update though so maybe that's why I heard back this morning. You should hear back soon! And I got into the University of Iowa's Sociology Ph.D. and Northeastern's Master's program so I have two options but I'm most likely going to choose the University of Iowa because there is a professor there who I really want to work with and it's fully funded lol! I hope you hear back from Temple soon and I hope it is good news :)

Well, I am glad that you are going somewhere where you are interested!!!! BTW, who did you email?