2019 App Cycle

2 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Have you contacted either school?

I haven’t talked to anyone at Temple, but I see Jerry Rattcliffe frequently and he said they ran behind in letting the results out. I have spoken with Dave Hargrin at UCI and he said decisions are still underway when we last spoke

2 hours ago, HighStrangeness said:

I haven’t talked to anyone at Temple, but I see Jerry Rattcliffe frequently and he said they ran behind in letting the results out. I have spoken with Dave Hargrin at UCI and he said decisions are still underway when we last spoke

I applied to UCI & got an email saying late Feb is when decisions will be made.

11 hours ago, HighStrangeness said:

I'm guessing you don't go to Temple but you live in Philadelphia huh? Did you get an interview at UCI? I thought they did interviews? It sounds like you only applied to a couple programs, and you've only heard back from Arizona State? 

19 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

I saw an email earlier today that the official letters are going out within a week or so, hopefully we can both rest easy once those come in. I think I am going to head up there around mid March as well. Here's hoping we both get some funding! $17,000 is better than nothing for sure - is your friend Canadian? I do think they get more funding than international students.

She is American. She didn't end up going to SFU but told me that was her offer. A current SFU student told me there's also opportunities for TA and RA positions. I guess we'll have to ask as soon as we get our official letters! Keep me posted :) and good luck! 

4 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I'm guessing you don't go to Temple but you live in Philadelphia huh? Did you get an interview at UCI? I thought they did interviews? It sounds like you only applied to a couple programs, and you've only heard back from Arizona State? 

No I don’t live in Philadelphia, he is dating my mentor at CSULB so I see him when he comes around. I didn’t get an interview and UCI and only applied to the 3 programs 

3 hours ago, HighStrangeness said:

No I don’t live in Philadelphia, he is dating my mentor at CSULB so I see him when he comes around. I didn’t get an interview and UCI and only applied to the 3 programs 

That is a long distance relationship! I’m sorry, is there any reason you only wanted to apply to 3? 

7 hours ago, teddypicker said:

She is American. She didn't end up going to SFU but told me that was her offer. A current SFU student told me there's also opportunities for TA and RA positions. I guess we'll have to ask as soon as we get our official letters! Keep me posted :) and good luck! 

Same! Its going to be a hard choice for me, moving to Canada is super appealing, but the money part is stressful.

2 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

That is a long distance relationship! I’m sorry, is there any reason you only wanted to apply to 3? 

The cost of the entire process to be honest, and I felt out where my best chances were at ASC.

14 minutes ago, HighStrangeness said:

The cost of the entire process to be honest, and I felt out where my best chances were at ASC.

The cost is ridiculous! I understand that, I also narrowed down my choices a lot. I only applied to four and I did that too, there was a couple of schools receptions I didn’t like at all. I’m lucky because my interests align really well with sociology so I was able to apply to at least one sociology program. I really liked Temples reception but hated Penn States and George Masons lol

29 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

The cost is ridiculous! I understand that, I also narrowed down my choices a lot. I only applied to four and I did that too, there was a couple of schools receptions I didn’t like at all. I’m lucky because my interests align really well with sociology so I was able to apply to at least one sociology program. I really liked Temples reception but hated Penn States and George Masons lol

And Rutgers has that open bar!

Just got an email from Dr. Groff at Temple saying that I am not offered one of the funded positions right now, but in the next few weeks they hope that I will be! I guess I’m on the waitlist for a funded spot. I may still go even if I don’t get funded.

Edited by HighStrangeness

On 2/18/2019 at 4:52 PM, LisKis said:

I head back from them via email a few weeks back.

I got in. They said official decisions go out late Feb but they like to give funded PHDs a headsup for their preview day. Its possible you got in but with no funding. 

Haven’t heard back from FSU../I’m guessing that I didn’t get in.