2019 App Cycle

2 minutes ago, BLM said:

Gotcha. GPA: 3.01

GRE: Verbal score was decent but math was low...due to my severe anxiety. 

Low GRE scores was the main reason why I didn’t get into MSU, ASU, Cincinnati & Albany. I straight up asked them! 

Research: Racism in the Criminal Justice system, Modern racism in the USA & cybercrime (Human trafficking).

Waiting on other schools:

UM, UCI, FSU, penn, RU, UCF, UL, FIU & UOttawa (Canada). 

I am waiting on Penn State too, but I also have a low GRE score. I didn't do good in any categories and I retook it. I still got into a program. What I would worry about is that a lot of schools use GRE if you have a low GPA and vice versa, like if you have a low GPA then you're going to want to get a high GRE, but if you have a low GRE you want to make sure you have a high GPA. I think you have a really good chance at still getting into a couple programs if you have research experience! Don't give up hope yet, I thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere and then I did! 

2 minutes ago, BLM said:

I applied to penn & no response either. Didn’t get into Cincy either. I also applied to UL & FSU. 

Did Cincinnati send you an email? 

6 minutes ago, EV1764 said:

Still waiting for GSU, Penn State, Cincy, UL, and Florida. I'm convinced I was rejected by Penn State and Cincy since others have gotten their acceptance letters. 

I am still partially hopeful about Penn State, there has only been two acceptances so they might do waves. I am not sure about Cincy because I didn't apply there, and I don't think I've seen any GSU, UL, or Florida go out. I'm waiting only on Temple and Penn State, but Temple seems to be a clear rejection to me but I am not so sure about Penn State yet.

5 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I am waiting on Penn State too, but I also have a low GRE score. I didn't do good in any categories and I retook it. I still got into a program. What I would worry about is that a lot of schools use GRE if you have a low GPA and vice versa, like if you have a low GPA then you're going to want to get a high GRE, but if you have a low GRE you want to make sure you have a high GPA. I think you have a really good chance at still getting into a couple programs if you have research experience! Don't give up hope yet, I thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere and then I did! 

Thanks! I hope...I have research experience & MA...Certain programs really do care about the GRE like it has to be high...They literary told me I would’ve gotten in if it wasn’t for my GRE scores. Been so stressed out lately! 

Just now, beautifuladrenaline said:

I'm sorry!! You still have what 8 other programs that you're waiting to hear back from? You'll just have to wait and see!

I’m numb at this point...I guess my application wasn’t as good as I thought. Idk anymore! 

26 minutes ago, BLM said:

They did...

The only reason I'm asking is because George Mason changed my application status (I was rejected) but never emailed me. I'm just making sure Cincy doesn't do the same thing since I haven't received anything from them.

38 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I am still partially hopeful about Penn State, there has only been two acceptances so they might do waves. I am not sure about Cincy because I didn't apply there, and I don't think I've seen any GSU, UL, or Florida go out. I'm waiting only on Temple and Penn State, but Temple seems to be a clear rejection to me but I am not so sure about Penn State yet.

I was rejected by George Mason and Northeastern so I'm not hopeful about PSU and Cincinnati haha. That being said, I got an interview with John Jay so I really have no clue where I stand as an applicant! 

Just now, EV1764 said:

The only reason I'm asking is because George Mason changed my application status (I was rejected) but never emailed me. I'm just making sure Cincy doesn't do the same thing since I haven't received anything from them.

I feel you...I just got rejected (rutgers) by email & my app status still says “no decision”. Just wait for the email. 

1 minute ago, EV1764 said:

I was rejected by George Mason and Northeastern so I'm not hopeful about PSU and Cincinnati haha. That being said, I got an interview with John Jay so I really have no clue where I stand as an applicant! 

I was rejected from Northeastern as well but accepted into their masters program. Not worth the money at all haha, I have a feeling Penn State hasn't sent out all of their decisions yet, just be patient!!

Just now, EV1764 said:

I’ve had no luck so far! Starting not care anymore tbh! 

3 minutes ago, BLM said:

I’ve had no luck so far! Starting not care anymore tbh! 

We still have UL to hear from and their deadline is this Friday! 

16 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I was rejected from Northeastern as well but accepted into their masters program. Not worth the money at all haha, I have a feeling Penn State hasn't sent out all of their decisions yet, just be patient!!

But patience is the hardest part of the application! ? 

2 hours ago, EV1764 said:

We still have UL to hear from and their deadline is this Friday! 

Yea...I’m just sick and tired of the long rejection emails....like idc just tell me yes or no lol! 

5 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

You heard back from Temple? *sigh* I'm pretty sure I got rejected but I just want them to tell me I got rejected instead of all this waiting. I already got into another program that I'm probably going to accept their offer, but it would be nice to have other options other than paying $35,000 to go to Northeastern for a year. 

He heard from Temple in December when they first started contacting people before the holiday break and stuff. There is still hope, I am waiting for them too.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, BLM said:

“Racism in the Criminal Justice system” 

Hey, that’s my research interest too! I found it hard to find good supervisors that are critical criminologists and race scholars. So I also applied to sociology programs because the criminologists in those programs tend to be more critical, and there are also usually race scholars in soc departments. So far, one sociology acceptance and one criminology acceptance. But the top programs really didn’t have the right people for me.

2 minutes ago, RipCityBaby said:

Hey, that’s my research interest too! I found it hard to find good supervisors that are critical criminologists and race scholars. So I also applied to sociology programs because the criminologists in those programs tend to be more critical, and there are also usually race scholars in soc departments. So far, one sociology acceptance and one criminology acceptance. But the top programs really didn’t have the right people for me.

That’s awesome...Yea, I’ve had NO luck so far...Every program I spoke to professors & did my research on the programs...Went well but it’s up to them if they really want you! Who knows...ugh!

Has anyone applied to the Berkeley JSP program? Results usually come out around now but no one has posted acceptances or rejections...app deadline was December 17, 2018...would think they would have made a decision by now.

4 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

Has anyone applied to the Berkeley JSP program? Results usually come out around now but no one has posted acceptances or rejections...app deadline was December 17, 2018...would think they would have made a decision by now.

I know how you are feeling...still waiting on like 7 schools. I check everyday & says “under review@....