2019 App Cycle

3 hours ago, EV1764 said:

I was invited to both. Skype was an option if I had scheduling conflicts with their visit date. 

Is it a one day visit for all applicants, with question and answers sessions and meetings? If this is the case, when is this visit?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I am so impatient, I feel like I am going to explode this week, I just want to know everything already..

Oh, I agree so much with you. Part of my reason is that I submitted all of my applications early by early October. 

Anyone claiming the second Simon Fraser Criminology PhD acceptance? I am one of them, just curious who the other person is. I'm dying to know more about funding, especially as an American and have been told a "letter is coming" with those details. Also, do Canadian schools not do vists? Or is it just SFU, anyone know? I still have more decisions I am waiting on, but excited at the prospect of an international move!

Hey! totally new here but equally as anxious with admission decisions. Currently volunteering abroad so terrified I'm going to miss something due to the time difference and whatnot 

Edited by sherbertlem0n
misspelled

I applied to University of Maryland, Albany, UCI, Cincinnati, ASU, FSU, Penn, Rutgers, MSU, UCF, UL.

Didnt get into ASU, Cincinnati, MSU, Albany....Mainly due to my average GRE scores which is BS.

Did my undergrad @ Rutgers & got my MA from BU. I thought my application was pretty strong but I guess NOT!

At this point, I don’t think I’m gonna get in anywhere...Back to plan B! 

11 minutes ago, BLM said:

I applied to University of Maryland, Albany, UCI, Cincinnati, ASU, FSU, Penn, Rutgers, MSU, UCF, UL.

Didnt get into ASU, Cincinnati, MSU, Albany....Mainly due to my average GRE scores which is BS.

Did my undergrad @ Rutgers & got my MA from BU. I thought my application was pretty strong but I guess NOT!

Did they tell you it was your GRE? Everyone I have talked to in admissions has said GRE scores are the least important thing they look at, so are even considering dumping them as a requirement. If they are 50th % or better, it shouldn't hurt except in the most competitive programs. Good luck on the rest of the apps, hope you get in somewhere!

27 minutes ago, RipCityBaby said:

Did they tell you it was your GRE? Everyone I have talked to in admissions has said GRE scores are the least important thing they look at, so are even considering dumping them as a requirement. If they are 50th % or better, it shouldn't hurt except in the most competitive programs. Good luck on the rest of the apps, hope you get in somewhere!

That’s what I thought! ASU & I believe Albany said it was of my GRE scores...They want 60th percentile or higher...I’ve never been good at taking standardized tests due to my anxiety problems which I talk about in my application. I don’t think I’ll get in anywhere but we’ll see & thanks! 

2 hours ago, BLM said:

That’s what I thought! ASU & I believe Albany said it was of my GRE scores...They want 60th percentile or higher...I’ve never been good at taking standardized tests due to my anxiety problems which I talk about in my application. I don’t think I’ll get in anywhere but we’ll see & thanks! 

Did you interview with ASU? Did they tell you thats why you were not admitted or did you ask? Just curious because mine were bad too and I got rejected as well :(  Keep your head up you still have many great programs to hear from!! Good luck! 

1 hour ago, 4everjung said:

Did you interview with ASU? Did they tell you thats why you were not admitted or did you ask? Just curious because mine were bad too and I got rejected as well :(  Keep your head up you still have many great programs to hear from!! Good luck! 

I emailed them and asked & they said it was cuz of my GRE scores. They want 60th percentile or higher..same with Albany. I’m trying but I’ve been depressed and stressed out. Hope you get in somewhere as well! ????

10 hours ago, BLM said:

Were they below 50th percentile? Mine weren't the greatest either, so it's weird that they would put so much emphasis on it, especially since you have a masters already. Did you hear back from any other places? Stay positive (easier said than done, I know)!

16 hours ago, BLM said:

If this round doesn't work out for you, I suggest you check out Canadian schools. I applied and was accepted at Simon Fraser (in Vancouver, BC) for a Criminology PhD, they don't ask for GRE scores. Funding for international students can be tricky, but on the plus side, tuition per year for international grad students is only about $6000/year, so its possible to make it up with scholarships/TA/Research positions. And, you can start banking time towards permanent residency if you want to get Canadian citizenship - that's why I first looked at Canadian schools. Might be an option - though I don't think all schools put so much emphasis on the GRE. I hope they don't, my quant is 48%, though verbal is 80-something % and 92% for writing, so I don't know how they would rank me.

2 hours ago, newyorkmets188 said:

UPENN Decisions are out- Got Denied

Accepted: Indiana Univ. of Penn

Rejected: Univ of Penn, George Mason

Waiting: Temple Univ., UMass Lowell, GA State, American

When I first saw the reject I thought it was Penn State, and I was like thank god now I'll finally know something... but sadly it wasn't I'm sorry about your rejections! You still have four schools to hear back from, and I also haven't heard back from Temple, super tempted to email them...

3 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

If this round doesn't work out for you, I suggest you check out Canadian schools. I applied and was accepted at Simon Fraser (in Vancouver, BC) for a Criminology PhD, they don't ask for GRE scores. Funding for international students can be tricky, but on the plus side, tuition per year for international grad students is only about $6000/year, so its possible to make it up with scholarships/TA/Research positions. And, you can start banking time towards permanent residency if you want to get Canadian citizenship - that's why I first looked at Canadian schools. Might be an option - though I don't think all schools put so much emphasis on the GRE. I hope they don't, my quant is 48%, though verbal is 80-something % and 92% for writing, so I don't know how they would rank me.

Thanks...I’ll check that out if I don’t get into any programs..Yea, it depends on the program when it comes to the GRE. I believe I made it to the last round bt my GRe scores are average so they chose to accept someone else. 

9 hours ago, Crim2019 said:

Were they below 50th percentile? Mine weren't the greatest either, so it's weird that they would put so much emphasis on it, especially since you have a masters already. Did you hear back from any other places? Stay positive (easier said than done, I know)!

My math score is just on the 50th percentile. I’m terrible at math. MY Verbal score was pretty good....Yea, I thought having a MA from BU would help bt guess not! I’m still waiting to hear back from 7 places. And thanks...I’m trying to stay positive! It’s just so stressful! 

3 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Did you talk to them?? Have they said anything to you about your application or are they behind or what??

Nothing to me about my application but the graduate director said decisions should be finalized by mid-Feb. 

11 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

I applied to u Ottawa but I’m so stupid..I thought the deadline was feb 28 but it was Jan. 10. I paid the $100 & emailed them to see if I can still have my application looked at. So stupid lol! 

11 hours ago, BLM said:

I applied to u Ottawa but I’m so stupid..I thought the deadline was feb 28 but it was Jan. 10. I paid the $100 & emailed them to see if I can still have my application looked at. So stupid lol! 

Good luck! I thought about applying there, its a good program! University of Toronto is a good program too but they rarely can fund international students - wish I had known prior to applying! I also applied to McGill sociology, as there is a professor there that does criminology and focuses on police-citizen encounters, which is a research area of interest to me and is a really good fit. I think I have at least a few more weeks before I hear back from them.

Waiting is the worst. You will feel better though once you get your first acceptance!