PhD Applications Fall 2019 Season

MonkeyMagic

8 hours ago, FrigidSky701 said:

I wonder what is up with UC Santa Barbara. Haven't heard anything from them, and there is just one mysterious person who got accepted with full scholarship on the result page for Ph.D and nothing else.

I am that mysterious person

15 minutes ago, oh no said:

I am that mysterious person

Care to share any insight you may have gathered on their process? Is their cycle essentially over?

I'm not too anxious anymore, as I've received an admission at a program that is a better fit for my interests, but I am curious. 

9 hours ago, cr615 said:

Care to share any insight you may have gathered on their process? Is their cycle essentially over?

I'm not too anxious anymore, as I've received an admission at a program that is a better fit for my interests, but I am curious. 

I am not oh no, but I am currently communicating with a prof at UC Davis because I personally know him from my undergrad(I took many courses taught by him) and it seems that UCSB is under a certain crisis at the moment according to him. He did not specify what the crisis is, but I assume that is what is delaying their second round offers. I am not too anxious because I am ready to move onto my second cycle and going through some preps, but I will let you know once I receive answer from the prof as I will ask him what is going on with UCSB.

11 hours ago, cr615 said:

I am not sure what is going on inside. When I posted on the results page, I had an informal contact from my POI. A week or so after, I got an official offer. I was told that the official information concerning scholarship will be emailed sometime beginning of March.

Since I had the informal offer, I've been actively communicating with the professors and other people of the department. I didn't know that there is an "internal crisis" as FrigidSky701  mentioned; when I communicated with them, it seemed like everything was rolling according to how it should be. 

According to the information I have, I can infer that the notifications to be made after the official scholarship decision (beginning of March) will be 1) admission without scholarship or 2) rejection. What do you think?

2 hours ago, ticktick said:

What schools are you still waiting on?

I've not heard official word from Emory or Notre Dame, though I am pretty sure they will be rejections.  

I'm still waiting to hear from Catholic University, and am entirely in the dark about their process.  

1 hour ago, EarlyXianity said:

I've not heard official word from Emory or Notre Dame, though I am pretty sure they will be rejections.  

I'm still waiting to hear from Catholic University, and am entirely in the dark about their process.  

Notre Dame's acceptances are going out tomorrow and I believe Emory's already have.

4 hours ago, Re-Donne said:

Hey, y'all! I'm an anxious lurker finally joining the fray--do we have any confirmed Emory acceptances outside of New Testament?

I know of OT and NT acceptances that have gone out at Emory. I've been waitlisted there for my subfield but haven't yet received an email. I found out by contacting my POI (usually not advisable). If you still haven't heard from Emory, you're probably either rejected or on a short waitlist. 

9 hours ago, CartesianDemon said:

I know of OT and NT acceptances that have gone out at Emory. I've been waitlisted there for my subfield but haven't yet received an email. I found out by contacting my POI (usually not advisable). If you still haven't heard from Emory, you're probably either rejected or on a short waitlist. 

So there's only news from the Biblical courses of study? Curious and curiouser...

35 minutes ago, CartesianDemon said:

I heard from someone else at ND that faculty are meeting tomorrow and sending out decisions on Monday...?

It might be different for the different concentrations. I'd heard that the meeting for CJA folks had already heard, but I could be wrong. When I was accepted here, the email came the wednesday/thursday after interview weekend. 

1 hour ago, jp614 said:

Does anyone have any familiarity with the UNC-Chapel Hill process? They put out very little information in terms of when applications can expect to be notified, if they conduct interviews, etc. 

I’m not very familiar with the inner workings of the department, but I can say that they don’t conduct interviews. Moreover, it is likely that their top choices for admittance were notified earlier in the month. I was contacted by a colleague who said that two of our mutual friends already received offers in my sub-field (Hebrew Bible). Lastly, I contacted the interim department head, Carl Ernst, and he notified me that I did not make it in to the program. With all things considered, I wouldn’t want to prematurely assert that if you didn’t hear back by now, you didn’t get in, but I also think that, given this info, your chances of admission are slim.

Edited by TUKUL.TI.A.É.ŠÁR.RA

On 2/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, ticktick said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Indiana?

If you're talking about the PhD program in religious studies there, I'm afraid all first-round acceptances have gone out. They hosted an admitted students event this past week and I didn't hear of any open (non-waitlist) spots. But if you haven't been rejected, you may be on a waitlist!

5 hours ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

If you're talking about the PhD program in religious studies there, I'm afraid all first-round acceptances have gone out. They hosted an admitted students event this past week and I didn't hear of any open (non-waitlist) spots. But if you haven't been rejected, you may be on a waitlist!

I see that you're also on Notre Dame's MTS waitlist.  Any word from the school?  Is there any way to move up spots on the waitlist?

2 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

I see that you're also on Notre Dame's MTS waitlist.  Any word from the school?  Is there any way to move up spots on the waitlist?

Hi,

I'm actually on the Early Christian Studies M.A. waitlist, not the MTS waitlist. I got a personal e-mail from the director of the ECS program; from my understanding you basically just have to wait it out and confirm you're still interested by a certain deadline (mine was in early March, but I confirmed my interest pretty much right away). If you're on the waitlist and haven't gotten in touch with a POI or the department chair yet, you may just want to write to confirm you're still interest in the program.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, Pierre de Olivi said:

Thanks for your reply! I haven't heard from them, but I figured it was a rejection since some acceptances trickled out in early and mid-February. I have not seen any rejections on the results page, so maybe they haven't sent them out yet.

Congratulations on your acceptance!