Chemistry Fall 2019 cycle

AntiSpinel

Anyone heard from Georgia Tech?
I got an acceptance from Purdue and a reject from Penn State.
Also, I'm more inclined towards joining an MS program in Europe in P Chem. I got an acceptance from Univ of Amsterdam and KU Leuven. Waiting on other results.
I'm having trouble decide between US and Europe. Please ping me if you can help!

Posting my stats since I finally enrolled

Undergrad Institution: Public university in big Italian city (1M citizens)
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major:  3.18 in Undergrad, 3.94 in Master
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: International, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
I did not take the GRE, I refuse to pay another idiotic standardized test

Research Experience:  2 years and some months, in 3 different labs/subfields

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: n/a
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Gen and Org chemistry tutor for 4 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I had 3 very strong LoR

Special Bonus Points:  n/a

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  n/a

Applying to Where:
Auburn 
Purdue
Emory
University of Michigan
Washington State
Wayne State
University of Kansas 
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Admitted to Auburn, Washington State, Wayne State

Going to Auburn

I was accepted to UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara and will be visiting them this weekend, but I'm still waiting on five more schools:

Uni of Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Uni of Oregon, and UC Berkeley

Anyone heard from these schools or know when they send out acceptances/rejections?

3 hours ago, nikit96 said:

I was accepted to UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara and will be visiting them this weekend, but I'm still waiting on five more schools:

Uni of Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Uni of Oregon, and UC Berkeley

Anyone heard from these schools or know when they send out acceptances/rejections?

The result page have a few acceptance and rejections from both Berkeley and UW.  But no one in my school heard from UW (me included) and while visiting weekend (2 weekends ago) non of the students I talked to heard from Berkeley. Its strange since I heard their first visit weekend was last weekend, and the 2nd is this coming.  

4 hours ago, nikit96 said:

I heard from UW.  When I visited they said they had sent out all acceptances and the rest will be rejections.  Berkeley I imagine is the same way; I haven't heard from them but I also haven't seen in past results anyone getting an acceptance this late (March). 

Congrats on your UC Davis and UCSB acceptances!  Both are great schools and tough to beat the locations.  :)

Now that most US grad schools have started accepting applications... 

Here is an old copy & paste profile format to make things a bit easier.

Undergrad Institution: Alexandria University, Egypt
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Biochemistry, Physics
GPA in Major: 3.72
Overall GPA: 3.36
Position in Class: 1st group, 3rd of 550 students
Type of Student: International, Male, White Middle-Eastern

Q: 147
V: 140
W: 3.0
S: N/A

IETLS : 7.5

Research Experience:  10 years R&D chemist in Egypt and Dubai multi-national companies

Awards/Honors/Recognition: Very good with honors graduate

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Demonstrator for newly hired employees for 5 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 4 internships

Special Bonus Points: M.Sc Materials Science Courses (21 credit hours)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
Purdue

Emory

Case Western Reserve

Wayne State

Temple

Kent State

Saint Louis

Purdue and Emory (Rejected) may be because of very poor GRE

Do I have a chance in case, temple, wayne state, kent state, saint louis ???

Thank you in advance

Edited by Mahmoud.

21 hours ago, AllAboutThatChem said:

The result page have a few acceptance and rejections from both Berkeley and UW.  But no one in my school heard from UW (me included) and while visiting weekend (2 weekends ago) non of the students I talked to heard from Berkeley. Its strange since I heard their first visit weekend was last weekend, and the 2nd is this coming.  

20 hours ago, PCCP said:

I heard from UW.  When I visited they said they had sent out all acceptances and the rest will be rejections.  Berkeley I imagine is the same way; I haven't heard from them but I also haven't seen in past results anyone getting an acceptance this late (March). 

Congrats on your UC Davis and UCSB acceptances!  Both are great schools and tough to beat the locations.  :)

So probably rejections from both, they were a bit of a reach for me anyways. Thanks for the info! ?

I am still waiting for six schools. UT Austin, Georgia Tech, UIUC, Wisconsin-Madison, CMU and Cornell University(I received an email from Cornell in January to evaluate my English proficiency, I passed the test but I haven't heard anything from then, so I am so worried about it because it's my dream school). Is there any hope for me to get into any of these schools? I am afraid that they have sent all of the admissions.

Edited by Amy Zhu

On 3/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, nikit96 said:

yes, I received acceptance from Washington State the first week of January

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Amy Zhu said:

I am still waiting for six schools. UT Austin, Georgia Tech, UIUC, Wisconsin-Madison, CMU and Cornell University(I received an email from Cornell in January to evaluate my English proficiency, I passed the test but I haven't heard anything from then, so I am so worried about it because it's my dream school). Is there any hope for me to get into any of these schools? I am afraid that they have sent all of the admissions.

I applied to UIUC and still haven't heard anything either. I am not optimistic based on the results page for past years. :(

Hey!

I am bit concerned. I applied very late to grad school (PhD Chemistry Programs). And then I also had trouble to get my letter of recommendations in time (professors were busy). So even though I completed my application by the first week of February, my recommendation did not arrive until two weeks later. So officially my applications were completed by the 22nd of February.

I applied to Notre Dame (they let me apply even though the deadline was January 15th, they even waived my application fee), Miami University in Ohio (I applied before the March 1 deadline) and Michigan State University (rolling admission). 

When should I expect a decision? Should I hope any positive answers? 

I will leave my profile...

Undergrad Institution: University of Puerto Rico
Major(s): Chemistry and Biomedical Sciences
minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.93
Position in Class: 1
Type of Student: Minority 

Q: 146
V: 144
W: 3.5
S: 

TOEFL: 94 (Speaking:23)

Research Experience: 1 year of undergraduate research, 1 REU. 3 presentations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean List, Presidential Award, Honor Scholarship, Honor Assembly

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry mentor for 3 years, Math tutor for 6 months, High school science mentor in summer, Industry Practice Internship for one semester 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Community service for 4 years in different places. Traveled to Ecuador to help people in need (one week, 40 hours). 

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:
ND, MSU, Miami University Chemistry - Bioorganic Chemistry

Edited by 2OrderRx

On 3/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, 2OrderRx said:

Hey!

I am bit concerned. I applied very late to grad school (PhD Chemistry Programs). And then I also had trouble to get my letter of recommendations in time (professors were busy). So even though I completed my application by the first week of February, my recommendation did not arrive until two weeks later. So officially my applications were completed by the 22nd of February.

I applied to Notre Dame (they let me apply even though the deadline was January 15th, they even waived my application fee), Miami University in Ohio (I applied before the March 1 deadline) and Michigan State University (rolling admission). 

When should I expect a decision? Should I hope any positive answers? 

I will leave my profile...

Undergrad Institution: University of Puerto Rico
Major(s): Chemistry and Biomedical Sciences
minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: 3.93
Position in Class: 1
Type of Student: Minority 

Q: 146
V: 144
W: 3.5
S: 

TOEFL: 94 (Speaking:23)

Research Experience: 1 year of undergraduate research, 1 REU. 3 presentations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean List, Presidential Award, Honor Scholarship, Honor Assembly

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry mentor for 3 years, Math tutor for 6 months, High school science mentor in summer, Industry Practice Internship for one semester 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Community service for 4 years in different places. Traveled to Ecuador to help people in need (one week, 40 hours). 

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:
ND, MSU, Miami University Chemistry - Bioorganic Chemistry

Don't bother yourself about deadline, it is only to ease the process for them, many people admitted later than you and get admission.
I'm like your situation, unlike those applying for Harvard, UCLA,... and get multiple admission offers and still have doubt !!!!!!

My Gre is 287, see my post earlier than yours, I applied for Kent State, Wayne State, Saint Louis and Temple ! waiting like you !

On 3/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, skibike said:

I applied to UIUC and still haven't heard anything either. I am not optimistic based on the results page for past years. :(

Never lose hope! Wish you get in somewhere you like!

Edited by Amy Zhu

On 3/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, Amy Zhu said:

I believe both UT Austin and UW-Madison are done sending out acceptances. UW-Madison made offers to ~230 people out of over 750 applicants. UT Austin I think made offers to ~100 people out of over 400 applicants.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, Amy Zhu said:

Never lose hope! Wish you get in somewhere you like!

Thanks, wishing all the best for you too!

Hey all, I'm hoping to head into industry after graduation.  I am torn between two schools- both successfully send applicants into industry and academia.  Should I choose higher ranking over research fit?  I have been told my research interests may change anyway and ranking will matter more career-wise in the long run.  Although the research "fit" isn't as perfect, it still gives me the skills necessary to enter the job field I want to go into.  Thanks for any advice!

Edited by PCCP

Hi,  I just have one question concerning chemistry graduate school. I always thought chemistry graduate school was free with a generous stipend, but even though the tuition has been waived, I still have to pay student fees. As an international student, the non-resident student fee is actually more than the cost of tuition. Although the stipend covers the student fees, I am left with only a couple hundred bucks every semester. As a result, I will have to pay out of pocket for personal expenses, food etc, which over the course of a year will be a major investment. Anyone else in chemistry graduate school confronted with a similar situation? Anyone who can share how they manage their finances/ handle their student fees? 

7 hours ago, DChemPhDZ said:

Hi,  I just have one question concerning chemistry graduate school. I always thought chemistry graduate school was free with a generous stipend, but even though the tuition has been waived, I still have to pay student fees. As an international student, the non-resident student fee is actually more than the cost of tuition. Although the stipend covers the student fees, I am left with only a couple hundred bucks every semester. As a result, I will have to pay out of pocket for personal expenses, food etc, which over the course of a year will be a major investment. Anyone else in chemistry graduate school confronted with a similar situation? Anyone who can share how they manage their finances/ handle their student fees? 

Hello. I am also an international student and this is news to me. Did the school tell you what the fees are for?

13 hours ago, DChemPhDZ said:

Yes, there are other fees (especially for internationals) but they usually are in the 500-1000$ per year range. This should still leave you with enough money to pay for rent and groceries.

Are you sure you read it right? You may want to ask your school for more informations.

15 hours ago, NoNo1 said:

Hello. I am also an international student and this is news to me. Did the school tell you what the fees are for?

9 hours ago, catalysis said:

Yes, there are other fees (especially for internationals) but they usually are in the 500-1000$ per year range. This should still leave you with enough money to pay for rent and groceries.

Are you sure you read it right? You may want to ask your school for more informations.

I emailed them again today to confirm because I was freaking out and they got back to me fairly quickly. Turns out the online student fees calculator was completely off. The student fees for international students, at least at the school I committed to, are about $2000 a year, including summer. It's totally affordable compared to the stipend so that's great news for me, specially since I was so worried yesterday. Thanks for the fast response y'all!