MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

So I've seen this as a trend on here and have been lurking on those old threads and have gotten some awesome insight. So now that the application season has started i thought  we could start our own freak out forum as we go into applying for programs in 2019. 

Personally I am an interdisciplinary artist. I have a BFA in Print media and have always worked across disciplines. My current work utilizes acrylic, vinyl, and UV direct printing. My schools right now consist of :

UC- Davis, Irvine and SB

Rutgers

Carnegie Mellon

University of Michigan

University of Oregon

Northwestern

I'm not currently entertaining any programs that don't offer full funding. But thats just a personal thing for me.

*LETS FREAK OUT*

Hey guys!

Happy to see the thread starting again this year. I’ve also been reading these forums the past few years- although, this might be the first year I actually apply. Did my undergrad in Painting and now currently work in mixed media. Looking mostly at 3 year programs and would love to stay on the west coast.

Currently leaning towards:

University of Oregon

UC Davis

University of Washington 

If anyone has info specifically on U of O, I would love to hear some pointers! Currently rebuilding my website, but IG is @M.j.white

Lets do this!

your work is incredible! 

I’m liking u of o because it’s really interdisciplinary, fully funded and they encourage you to take classes outside of the fine arts which is great for me because my work is Increasingly becoming more research oriented , specifically in psychology,  so it would be great to take those courses that can further inform my work. 

Also you can see my work on my website 

abbymarietaylor.com

Likewise! Really enjoying the line quality in your portrait work! 

And I agree with you, U of O seems to have a very attractive program. Also! Living in Eugene would be fantastic.

How's your portfolio coming along? I'm a crazy person and decided to cut 2/3 of my work out; so.. currently in studio lock down, haha!

I actually think my portfolio is pretty solid, though im trying to complete a couple of sculpture to show a more interdisciplinary approach. Im completing an artists residency in barcelona for the next couple of months so that will give me the time to also be on studio lock down. im working on all of my statements currently, which is just about as difficult as i expected it to be cause schools ask for different and specific things so you cant (and shouldnt) use one across the board. 

On 10/2/2018 at 7:55 PM, justaylor said:

So I've seen this as a trend on here and have been lurking on those old threads and have gotten some awesome insight. So now that the application season has started i thought  we could start our own freak out forum as we go into applying for programs in 2019. 

Personally I am an interdisciplinary artist. I have a BFA in Print media and have always worked across disciplines. My current work utilizes acrylic, vinyl, and UV direct printing. My schools right now consist of :

UC- Davis, Irvine and SB

Rutgers

Carnegie Mellon

University of Michigan

University of Oregon

Northwestern

I'm not currently entertaining any programs that don't offer full funding. But thats just a personal thing for me.

*LETS FREAK OUT*

Thanks for starting the thread this year! Can you tell me what you know about the program at Carnegie Mellon? Thanks! 

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working towards applying this year, still looking into different programs. I'm wondering where you all are seeking feedback on your portfolios. I finished undergrad last June but relocated to New York City after graduation. I am planning on attending Graduate Portfolio Review day but was interested in hearing any advice you all may have. 

-Ciaran Freeman

ciaranfreeman.com

Hi Everyone! 

I am starting to get super stressed out about applying! I'm wanting to go for Sculpture.  I haven't completely narrowed it down yet but am thinking about:

• Pratt
  • MassArt
  • Tyler
  • MICA
  • Carnegie Mellon 
  • Hunter
  • Rutgers
  • NYU 

How is everyone's statement of purpose/intent writing going? I'm struggling with it a bit! Anyone else? 

Also my website is: karrileamonart.com (Need to add pieces and update a bit.) Would love any feedback! 

Thanks! 

On October 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM, cfree said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working towards applying this year, still looking into different programs. I'm wondering where you all are seeking feedback on your portfolios. I finished undergrad last June but relocated to New York City after graduation. I am planning on attending Graduate Portfolio Review day but was interested in hearing any advice you all may have. 

-Ciaran Freeman

ciaranfreeman.com

I am going to do the online NPDA Graduate School Online Portfolio Day and Information Fair on November 30th! 

Just got an email from the department head at U of O. For anyone interested in attending their MFA open house, the date is November 7th. You need to RSVP ahead of time, but they will be doing individual reviews and holding a Q+A session with current MFA students. Anyone else planning on attending? Hope to see some of y'all there!

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to the National Portfolio Day in NYC this Sunday? I'm curious how busy does it get. I was in Miami last year for an undergrad event and arrived 2 hours before the opening time – I was expecting lines, but it was packed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, henryfive said:

Thanks for starting the thread this year! Can you tell me what you know about the program at Carnegie Mellon? Thanks! 

Hi! Sorry for the late reply! I've been in Spain completing and artist's residency, mainly just so I can have the time to finish up the last few pieces I want to include in my portfond so I can have the time to focus on my applications. Because I was overseas I was unable to attend NPD but would love to know how it went for anyone that was able to attend? My final FINAL (lol) list of schools is 

UC - Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara and San Diego ( I got a fee waiver for all University of California Schools [up to 4] )

University of Michigan 

University of Oregon

I've already started all of my applications and have all my letters of recommendation out. 

I decided not to go with Carnegie Mellon because of the lack of funding. While they do provide some funding the program isnt completely covered and they cant guarantee you an assistantship which is a big deal breaker for me because I'm pursuing the MFA largely so I may teach at the collegiate level. 

Though, if those arent things youre concerned about very much I would totally recommend the program. It looked super cool and experimental, their faculty is incredible and they very recently renovated their studios and they look pretty sick. 

8 hours ago, justaylor said:

Hi! Sorry for the late reply! I've been in Spain completing and artist's residency, mainly just so I can have the time to finish up the last few pieces I want to include in my portfond so I can have the time to focus on my applications. Because I was overseas I was unable to attend NPD but would love to know how it went for anyone that was able to attend? My final FINAL (lol) list of schools is 

UC - Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara and San Diego ( I got a fee waiver for all University of California Schools [up to 4] )

University of Michigan 

University of Oregon

I've already started all of my applications and have all my letters of recommendation out. 

I decided not to go with Carnegie Mellon because of the lack of funding. While they do provide some funding the program isnt completely covered and they cant guarantee you an assistantship which is a big deal breaker for me because I'm pursuing the MFA largely so I may teach at the collegiate level. 

Though, if those arent things youre concerned about very much I would totally recommend the program. It looked super cool and experimental, their faculty is incredible and they very recently renovated their studios and they look pretty sick. 

Hey justaylor,

I am Applying to UC SanDiego for Visual arts, I'm not sure weather the SOP and artistic statement should be same or different. Can you help me with this?

It's my first year trying to apply, my shortlist is:

UCLA (Photography)

CalArts (Art and Art&Technology)

UT Austin (Studio Art)

I'm still considering VCU (doesn't have research facilities that I'm interested in) and Yale (doesn't have an interdisciplinary program and studios for photographers). 

It was my second NPD, I went last year to see how things were and how realistic it was to get in with the kind of work I make. 

It was incredibly helpful this year as I received application waivers from a few schools; two schools I'm most interested in recalled me from the last year, saw my projects progress and were encouraging about my chances. I'm not sure if it translates to anything admission/funding-wise, but it made me feel more confident. It was also a great way to meet faculty and have an hour-long conversation to see if I'd be a good fit to work with these people for 2 years. 

I went to UT Austin MFA Open Day last weekend, and although it was helpful to see their facilities, it was far less useful as it didn't have a portfolio review component. 

On 11/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, Ang2018 said:

Hey justaylor,

I am Applying to UC SanDiego for Visual arts, I'm not sure weather the SOP and artistic statement should be same or different. Can you help me with this?

From what Ive gathered and researched about this subject it seems as though they should be similar but cover a couple of different things. One being more comprehensive about your personal artistic practice (the artist statement) and the SOP would go into more detail about the school specifically and why their program would help you grow and achieve your artistic goals. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:46 PM, Meaou said:

UCLA (Photography)

UT Austin (Studio Art)

I'm still considering VCU (doesn't have research facilities that I'm interested in) and Yale (doesn't have an interdisciplinary program and studios for photographers). 

It was my second NPD, I went last year to see how things were and how realistic it was to get in with the kind of work I make. 

It was incredibly helpful this year as I received application waivers from a few schools; two schools I'm most interested in recalled me from the last year, saw my projects progress and were encouraging about my chances. I'm not sure if it translates to anything admission/funding-wise, but it made me feel more confident. It was also a great way to meet faculty and have an hour-long conversation to see if I'd be a good fit to work with these people for 2 years. 

I went to UT Austin MFA Open Day last weekend, and although it was helpful to see their facilities, it was far less useful as it didn't have a portfolio review component. 

I did a lot of research on Yale and the past students didnt seem very happy with the art program atleast they felt it didnt live up to the high price tag it came with. I wish I could have gone to NPD but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from past mentors at SCAD and SAVS so that feels encouraging. 

Hi everyone!

Second year applying and feeling a lot more confident this time around. 

I'm applying to:

NYU

Columbia

UCLA

USC

and mostly all for photo. I applied to UCLA and NYU last year. Got waitlisted at NYU, applied as Interdisciplinary Studio for UCLA last time around. 

Excited to see this thread going forward the next few months!

On 11/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, Meaou said:

UCLA (Photography)

UT Austin (Studio Art)

Have you considered Carnegie Mellon? They are strong for technologically oriented photo/interdisciplinary work.

1 hour ago, 121212 said:

Have you considered Carnegie Mellon? They are strong for technologically oriented photo/interdisciplinary work.

I'm an international student, so the lack of funding is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. I also hope to make work related to the ocean ecosystem while in MFA, and being 5.5 hours away from the coast will be difficult. Austin is 3.5 hours away from Corpus Christi, and that's already a stretch. 

5 hours ago, nfagunde said:

Hi everyone!

Second year applying and feeling a lot more confident this time around. 

I'm applying to:

NYU

Columbia

UCLA

USC

and mostly all for photo. I applied to UCLA and NYU last year. Got waitlisted at NYU, applied as Interdisciplinary Studio for UCLA last time around. 

Excited to see this thread going forward the next few months!

How was your experience with UCLA last year? I'm curious if you went to their Open Studios? I'm considering going in December. 

Hi guys!

Right now I'm working on applying to 

RISD-Painting

VCU-Painting

SAIC-Painting

Royal College of Art (London)- Mixed Media Concentration in Textiles major

Manchester Metropolitan University- Embroidery

Is anyone looking into these places or applying to a paining program somewhere else? I'm looking for painting programs in schools that also have good textile departments as well- or as you can see from my list, some experimental textile programs. Good scholarships or full funding is always a huge plus.

My website is www.annieoklaas.com. I would love your feedback!

Annieo

Hi all! I’m applying for painting to these schools:

UCLA

UC Irvine

University of Minnesota

Rutgers

Tulane

I’m hoping for a 3-year painting program with funding and TA opportunities in or near a good sized city. Anyone have any ideas of other programs like that?

Edited by willennium

On 11/14/2018 at 9:35 AM, henryfive said:

Does anyone know if it is better to include images from a few series or to show work from just one or two series in application portfolios?

You should prioritize your most recent work and only include older work that helps show the direction your work is going in.  So for a set of 20 images, I would show 10 from the last year, 5 from an older series, and 5 from a series before that.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:46 PM, Meaou said:

UCLA (Photography)

UT Austin (Studio Art)

How were the grad studios at UT Austin? I’m not able to find much about it on their site. Do grads get private studios?

4 hours ago, willennium said:

How were the grad studios at UT Austin? I’m not able to find much about it on their site. Do grads get private studios?

They're half-private, you're sharing with one more person and you're separated by thick curtains/wall. Also, studios with nice lighting seem to be for photographers and painters (maybe sculptors too?), transmedia people were in larger and somewhat newer studios, but the lighting was not great.