MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

17 hours ago, arusse said:

Does anyone have any resources on how to reach out to faculty at schools you are interested in? I am not sure where to start. I have lists of faculty members at each school whose work I connect with. However, do you send the email in terms of a general inquiry - "what are your thoughts on xyz" or asking them about a specific facet of the school? I have no idea!

I asked one of my old professors about this and he said that just an email introducing yourself and your interest in the program and them specifically are generally pretty well received. From what I gathered they are pretty used to this kind of thing. It definitely helps to reach out before applying though, recognition can go a long way for standing out among other applicants. I have yet to do so but I'm planning on drafting some emails soon. 

2 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

Does anyone know if you are applying to an interdisciplinary program if you they would prefer you to include images from different concentrations even if you tend to focus on just one? 

I've been wondering the same thing!  Is it weird to note a secondary focus if you don't include any examples of work that are in the secondary medium?

16 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

Does anyone know if you are applying to an interdisciplinary program if you they would prefer you to include images from different concentrations even if you tend to focus on just one? 

You should absolutely include images from various disciplines! But try and keep them cohesive and focused. They aren’t much interested in seeing assignments or craft per say. They just want to see that you’re thinking in a broad way and that you’re “teachable”. Basically meaning that you aren’t stuck in your artistic ways and that you’re willing and ready to experiment and absorb the knowledge the program can offer. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:50 PM, Rennnnn said:

Hi all! I am so applying for UCLA (painting and drawing). I am wondering if anyone knows how important the personal history statement is. It seems like it is quite similar to the statement of purpose, so I am afraid there would be some repetitive content in both. Even though it is optional, I am still wondering whether it would have any effects on my application if I do not submit one. Is anyone going to submit it?

I cannot open my supplemental application as well, it says I need to check my username and password. I have contacted the department to see how to fix it.

Best wishes to everyone!

Did Ucla get back to you about the supplemental app? I just noticed on their site that it would be available soon, just seems a little late. Maybe they’re starting with a new system this year?

1 hour ago, willennium said:

Did Ucla get back to you about the supplemental app? I just noticed on their site that it would be available soon, just seems a little late. Maybe they’re starting with a new system this year?

Yes, I just figured it out yesterday. Is this your first time applying? If yes, the school says it needs at least 24hrs to update your information after you started your division app. If it is not, you need to register again on the supplemental page. If it still did not work for you, you should email them personally. In my case, I just needed to re-register. Hope this can help! :)

8 minutes ago, Rennnnn said:

Yes, I just figured it out yesterday. Is this your first time applying? If yes, the school says it needs at least 24hrs to update your information after you started your division app. If it is not, you need to register again on the supplemental page. If it still did not work for you, you should email them personally. In my case, I just needed to re-register. Hope this can help! :)

Omg thank you! Just got it ??

20 hours ago, willennium said:

What are thoughts on listing specific professors you want to work with in the statement of purpose? I’ve gotten mixed feedback about doing it, so I’ve been focusing on other things in the statement, but now I’m starting to wonder.

All of the schools I’ve written for so far actually state in the instructions to include it. And UC Irvine actually requests that you include professors outside of the art department you’d like to work with as well (all in just 600 words ?) . My advice is to absolutely include atleast two, even if it’s just name dropping. It shows you’ve done your research and also, if someone sees their name included they’ll be more inclined to push you through. It’s that tiny little narcissist in all of us lol 

1 hour ago, justaylor said:

All of the schools I’ve written for so far actually state in the instructions to include it. And UC Irvine actually requests that you include professors outside of the art department you’d like to work with as well (all in just 600 words ?) . My advice is to absolutely include atleast two, even if it’s just name dropping. It shows you’ve done your research and also, if someone sees their name included they’ll be more inclined to push you through. It’s that tiny little narcissist in all of us lol 

Thanks! Some of my statements want only 300-500 words ?? I’m like...how...???

17 hours ago, willennium said:

Thanks! Some of my statements want only 300-500 words ?? I’m like...how...???

right?! I mean, I wouldn't want to read all that if I were them either but damn..

On 12/13/2018 at 11:39 AM, justaylor said:

Should we do this in an Artist Statement too? Some of my apps just have an Artist's Statement and a Resume/CV.

22 hours ago, arusse said:

Should we do this in an Artist Statement too? Some of my apps just have an Artist's Statement and a Resume/CV.

Idk about doing it in the artist statement. It might seem out of place. I would carefully read what they ask you to include and include only those things. 

Hello everyone! I'm doing my first (and hopefully final...) round of apps for the MFA. I'm applying to Stanford, San Francisco State, San Jose State, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA, Yale, Carnegie Melon, and Virginia Commonwealth University (Sculpture).

Random bits of info from what I've heard or seen:

• UCI: More equitable in terms of funding being more evenly distributed than other places. Irvine is a weird place to live though, warning if you haven't been there! Around half the students live in LA and commute (which can be pretty intense but I think this is more for people who already have a practice/connections in LA) Personally I would want to stay on campus, they do guarantee on campus housing for everyone in the program. The single studio that I saw didn't have a window/which made me a little sad, but after the first year, you can share studios and imo those were better (higher ceilings, more light)
  • UCLA: The studios are temporary until their fancy amazing looking new ones are built (projected for Fall 2019 but...when does construction ever finish on time???) The temporary studios are not great, they are located in an old grocery stores. Of course the faculty is *amazing* and I'm still applying! But if you want to do projections it isn't great as there is one main light switch for all the lights. I think the degree to which the studios work for you or not would depend on what you're doing. I'm not sure how equitably the funding is distributed, I've heard mixed things.
  • VCU: I've been told it is an up and comping program, great work coming out, the Sculpture section is fully funded but they keep it under wraps b/c they don't want too many people applying, I guess?
  • SF State: I really like the people and faculty that I've spoken to here. You have to pay but it is a state school so it is cheaper, and they have a lot more professional development than I've seen elsewhere, which is something I would like. It's not a school that is going to be on many people's radars but since I'm from the Bay :) 
  • Stanford:  If you apply multiple times, I have heard that you should not submit any of the same work. I guess that's obv but just FYI. For the recommendations, they aren't looking so much to learn about you as a person/your character, but instead about your art, so pick people that can write well about your work. Their interviews are very long compared to other schools and they expect you to talk a lot about your work. Their studios are really large and lovely, faculty studios are in the same area which is great.

Hope that is helpful! I have done 3 applications and to be honest am already feeling a bit done. But pushing for the next 6 and trying to make a little bit more work for them too. Good luck everyone!

On 12/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, willennium said:

What are thoughts on listing specific professors you want to work with in the statement of purpose? I’ve gotten mixed feedback about doing it, so I’ve been focusing on other things in the statement, but now I’m starting to wonder.

Another thought to add to the mix - I've heard that it is fine to include the names but don't try to draw connections between the professor's art and your work b/c they might not agree. 

On 12/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, sunflowerlemon said:

Another thought to add to the mix - I've heard that it is fine to include the names but don't try to draw connections between the professor's art and your work b/c they might not agree. 

Thanks for the tip! I mostly tried to keep it a good mix of vague enough that they can’t be like “wtf?” and specific enough so it doesn’t sound like BS lol. And thanks for the information you listed above!!! I didn’t know that much about UC Irvine - especially the living situation there. And I’m excited to hear about new studios at UCLA!

Edited by willennium

Ok here’s a question - this is the 2nd and 3rd time I’ve applied to a couple of these programs, but last time I applied was 2-3 years ago. Do you think that having applied to a program multiple times could work against me? Or perhaps they won’t even remember my application? I saw on previous freak out boards that some people applied to programs multiple times and got in and that gave me hope but I’m starting to get a little nervous about it ?

Is anyone applying to the University of Houston? Their supplemental application for Studio Art program has some weird instructions for a Letter of Academic Interest: 

A brief letter stating your interests within the field of art history and career goals.

I wonder if it's just a mistake (they have an Art History department too)? Their grad advisor wasn't able to clarify, unfortunately.

Edited by Meaou

16 hours ago, willennium said:

Ok here’s a question - this is the 2nd and 3rd time I’ve applied to a couple of these programs, but last time I applied was 2-3 years ago. Do you think that having applied to a program multiple times could work against me? Or perhaps they won’t even remember my application? I saw on previous freak out boards that some people applied to programs multiple times and got in and that gave me hope but I’m starting to get a little nervous about it ?

I don’t really think it’s here nor there. I have also read that applying multiple years can help but that’s only if they see growth in your work. So, if you feel confident in your growth and the work you’re going to show them, I would say the fact that you’ve applied before could help a lot. That being said it will definitely work against you if you’re just sending the same work, if they rejected it once they’ll do it again. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:27 PM, willennium said:

It's actually a good thing, and a sign that you've researched and are interested in their program in particular.  In your application, be specific about how you think that program can help you grow as an artist - there's obviously a reason why you're reapplying there - make it clear that you're not just spraying applications into the ether. 

Hi all,

I am applying to Ohio schools. Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, and Miami. I'm so nervous already. Does anyone have any info about acceptance rates for these schools? I'm not sure what my chances are of getting in. I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I find out if I got accepted or not. I want this so bad!

6 hours ago, Scarletttrust said:

Hi all,

I am applying to Ohio schools. Ohio State University, Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, and Miami. I'm so nervous already. Does anyone have any info about acceptance rates for these schools? I'm not sure what my chances are of getting in. I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I find out if I got accepted or not. I want this so bad!

I was able to find out quite a bit about acceptance rates on this website: https://www.petersons.com

For most of the schools that I am applying to it listed the amount of people that apply to the specific program, and how many get accepted. So it's not just the overall acceptance rate of the school. Hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, tee_lemon said:

I was able to find out quite a bit about acceptance rates on this website: https://www.petersons.com

For most of the schools that I am applying to it listed the amount of people that apply to the specific program, and how many get accepted. So it's not just the overall acceptance rate of the school. Hope this helps! 

Thanks! That is helpful. :)

On 12/21/2018 at 12:30 PM, tee_lemon said:

I'd be weary about looking up information on this website! I checked out the program I'm applying to and their information is way off. It might be out of date, but none of the admissions statistics I found on that website were even close to being accurate. Just a heads up!

How are all of you doing with your apps? Is everyone else going through slideroom to submit their portfolio components also? I have a question about the labeling section.. Are all of you filling out the "additional details" section at the very bottom for each piece? I felt like the majority of what I had to say was already said in my essay, but I don't wanna miss out on an opportunity to connect with the panel. Are you all filling out this section for each piece in addition to what you already mentioned in your essays? Just curious :)

Happy Holidays! Good luck!