U of Illinois, Chicago MSW, 2019

harpert1

Hello, everyone!  I know that it's a bit early in the admissions cycle, but I recently submitted my application to UIC and I started getting excited.  Hoping that we can share information about decisions and scholarships, and anxiety as time goes on! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 7:13 PM, harpert1 said:

Hello, everyone!  I know that it's a bit early in the admissions cycle, but I recently submitted my application to UIC and I started getting excited.  Hoping that we can share information about decisions and scholarships, and anxiety as time goes on! 

I applied to UIC as well. What is your major?

On 12/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, Genia13 said:

Hello! I’m also in the process of applying to U of Illinois,  but I’ve applied to Urbana - Champaign campus! Have you applied to any other MSW programs? 

Yes!  I applied to the Urbana campus as well.  In addition, I applied to UChicago, UMichigan, and Case Western.  So far, I've received an acceptance to Case Western; and I'm very excited about that.  The scholarship they offered me is pretty good; however, I am hoping for more money, somehow, to come in the near future. 

Edited by harpert1

12 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Congratulations!   Is UIC one of your top choices?

Thank you! It is actually my only choice. I went to UIC for my undergrad. Also, I live close and it is more affordable than other schools in the area, so it is my first (and only) choice haha. I am pretty sure I will be attending next year, but I am still considering my options as it's a big choice to make (and still costly). I see you applied to a few schools. What schools are you leaning towards?

Edited by Rsanta7

On 12/24/2018 at 6:03 AM, Rsanta7 said:

Thank you! It is actually my only choice. I went to UIC for my undergrad. Also, I live close and it is more affordable than other schools in the area, so it is my first (and only) choice haha. I am pretty sure I will be attending next year, but I am still considering my options as it's a big choice to make (and still costly). I see you applied to a few schools. What schools are you leaning towards?

I totally understand the closeness.  I almost went to UIC for undergrad (could have been friends in an alternate reality!). UMichigan and UChicago are my top choices currently as I really like their macro-based programs in social administration.  Like you, however, I’m keenly aware of the costliness so I’ll go to whichever school offers me the most money.  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I was admitted to UIC on 1/16, paid my enrollment deposit by 1/29 (due date) and received information about starting the field placement process on 2/4. I need scholarships so I paid the enrollment deposit and am finishing up their scholarship application (due by 2/15), but am still waiting on other programs, so I'm not sure I'll end up at UIC. Has anyone started the field placement process yet? If I end up at UIC, I don't want to start this too late for fear of missing out on my preferred placement, but I don't really know how long the process will take and don't want to secure a placement only to cancel my enrollment/pull out of placement in the end... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I was admitted to UM on 2/7 and am waiting to hear back from UW and BU still... I'm using this next step in life to also move away, so I likely won't accept UM and am hoping for either UW or BU... fingers crossed!

On 2/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, katface said:

Hi everyone! I was admitted to UIC on 1/16, paid my enrollment deposit by 1/29 (due date) and received information about starting the field placement process on 2/4. I need scholarships so I paid the enrollment deposit and am finishing up their scholarship application (due by 2/15), but am still waiting on other programs, so I'm not sure I'll end up at UIC. Has anyone started the field placement process yet? If I end up at UIC, I don't want to start this too late for fear of missing out on my preferred placement, but I don't really know how long the process will take and don't want to secure a placement only to cancel my enrollment/pull out of placement in the end... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I was admitted to UM on 2/7 and am waiting to hear back from UW and BU still... I'm using this next step in life to also move away, so I likely won't accept UM and am hoping for either UW or BU... fingers crossed!

Congratulations on your acceptances!!!  Fingers crossed for UW & BU, with good funding too.  Amen!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, katface said:

I started the field placement process and it is a bit slow, but maybe that is because of where I applied. I sent my resume and cover letter to the organization about 3 weeks ago and have my phone interview this morning. The way the placement liaison talked about it, I feel confident I will get a placement somewhere, even if it isn't my top choice. She said UIC has contracts with local organizations so they are essentially 'promised' an intern and are expecting applicants. 

Did you receive any scholarship or grant money? I did not, unfortunately. 

On 2/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, katface said:

I applied around January 22 for one placement I was recommended, and after 20 or so days of no response, I told my field liaison. Apparently, the person at the organization had replied incorrectly via email so it had not gotten to me. But with a few days of my liaison reaching out, I had a phone interview. I also applied to the second recommended site and got a call right away, and a phone interview a week later. I haven't heard back from the first place (so I am taking it as a rejection), but I was given an offer to intern at the second place. If it helps, I am out of the country. So if the process was pretty fast for me, it shouldn't be too bad for you hopefully! 

But on another note, I received my financial aid letter and was only offered loans (which I was expecting). It kind of makes me rethink this whole thing! It's daunting to be tied down to those loans for a while. Is anyone else getting cold feet?

Edited by Rsanta7

2 hours ago, krimbus said:

I started the field placement process and it is a bit slow, but maybe that is because of where I applied. I sent my resume and cover letter to the organization about 3 weeks ago and have my phone interview this morning. The way the placement liaison talked about it, I feel confident I will get a placement somewhere, even if it isn't my top choice. She said UIC has contracts with local organizations so they are essentially 'promised' an intern and are expecting applicants. 

Did you receive any scholarship or grant money? I did not, unfortunately. 

I did not receive any scholarships from UIC and I have at least 2 other options lined up for grad school... UIC is actually the most expensive option for me. That's why I'm really waiting on doing the field placement process, because right now, I don't see myself ending up there.

It's good to know that, once I hear back from the last program that I applied to, if I decide to do UIC the field placement will at least move quickly.

1 hour ago, Rsanta7 said:

I applied around January 22 for one placement I was recommended, and after 20 or so days of no response, I told my field liaison. Apparently, the person at the organization had replied incorrectly via email so it had not gotten to me. But with a few days of my liaison reaching out, I had a phone interview. I also applied to the second recommended site and got a call right away, and a phone interview a week later. I haven't heard back from the first place (so I am taking it as a rejection), but I was given an offer to intern at the second place. If it helps, I am out of the country. So if the process was pretty fast for me, it shouldn't be too bad for you hopefully! 

But on another note, I received my financial aid letter and was only offered loans (which I was expecting). It kind of makes me rethink this whole thing! It's daunting to be tied down to those loans for a while. Is anyone else getting cold feet?

I was only offered loans as well. It's not making me have cold feet - I've been working for a few years and know this is the path I want to take. I am expecting at least $80k in loans by the end of it, and while it does cause a lot of stress and anxiety to think about, I know it's what I need to do in order to pursue the career path that I want. It's definitely a huge investment, but I'm hoping it's worth it...

17 minutes ago, katface said:

I was only offered loans as well. It's not making me have cold feet - I've been working for a few years and know this is the path I want to take. I am expecting at least $80k in loans by the end of it, and while it does cause a lot of stress and anxiety to think about, I know it's what I need to do in order to pursue the career path that I want. It's definitely a huge investment, but I'm hoping it's worth it...

I only applied to UIC since for me it was the most affordable in the area. Looking back, Northeastern and Governor's State may be cheaper, but I think UIC offers a more quality education. It is also significantly cheaper than the private programs around. Just out of curiosity, why $80k? Does that include undergrad loans? I am hoping to take out $34k at most for tuition and fees and work alongside school and internship to pay for living expenses, but we will see. 

9 minutes ago, Rsanta7 said:

I only applied to UIC since for me it was the most affordable in the area. Looking back, Northeastern and Governor's State may be cheaper, but I think UIC offers a more quality education. It is also significantly cheaper than the private programs around. Just out of curiosity, why $80k? Does that include undergrad loans? I am hoping to take out $34k at most for tuition and fees and work alongside school and internship to pay for living expenses, but we will see. 

I'm using grad school as an opportunity to move out of state, and I applied to full-time programs only.

I used each programs estimated budget documents to get an idea of what it might cost me to attend (tuition & everything else). UIC tuition for out-of-state is $34,706 (per year), plus the cost of living (rent, books & supplies, medical insurance, etc) which they've estimated at about $16,500 (per year). So for a 2 year program, that's $102,412. Now I know that isn't exact, as some of the estimates can fluctuate greatly (personal expenses, rent, etc. are really variable) depending on the person/situation, but I know that just tuition will be at least $69k (not accounting for possible tuition increases during the 2nd year of grad school) and I'm sure rent for 2 years in Chicago will be at least $10k.