Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

There isn't a profile/results thread yet, so I thought I'd gauge interest. I'm applying in the fall, and it would be super helpful to see some of the profiles from applicants this last cycle. Are you guys interested in contributing? If there's enough interest I don't mind starting the thread.

That's an OK idea, but due to the editing times allowed on here, it may make sense to wait until closer to/after April 15th, to get a better sense of waitlist chances if nothing else.

EDIT:  It's a better than "OK" idea, I got a lot of benefit from looking at those threads too, but I also recall the editing issue cluttering up those threads in the recent past, hence my recommendation.  

Edited by Geococcyx
I'm super lukewarm for no reason

4 hours ago, Geococcyx said:

That's an OK idea, but due to the editing times allowed on here, it may make sense to wait until closer to/after April 15th, to get a better sense of waitlist chances if nothing else.

You're right, but I think a good amount of people have their final offers by now or have committed to a program. Those with outstanding waitlists can post when they know for sure what their status is. I can add that caveat to the thread. 

Edited by captivatingCA

Does anyone have any opinion on the Applied Statistics program at bowling green state university? There are other programs I’ve gotten into for a masters but they’re the only one so far to give me a good funding offer

I'm surprised about UNC as well. IMO if students are on your waitlist, you should at least make contact with them at some point prior to April. I can only see benefits to doing that, where are the drawbacks??

19 minutes ago, galois said:

I'm surprised about UNC as well. IMO if students are on your waitlist, you should at least make contact with them at some point prior to April. I can only see benefits to doing that, where are the drawbacks??

I applied to UNC (STOR) last year and had assumed rejection because I didn't hear anything before April 15th. Then, I received an email in early July telling me that I had been accepted. This was for the MS program but still lol.

18 hours ago, WilliamWantPhD said:

What is Michigan doing this year... So unreasonably long waiting-time... Anyone knows what is going on now?

I have sent emails to the admission for a couple of times, but still got nothing back. I think it is kind of hurting to both applicants and other schools that are waiting for the admitted's responds to their offers

Is there anyone that has accepted or planning to accept their offer for Georgia State University for both MS/phd and Biostatistics/Statistics. I was admitted to the Masters in Mathematics with concentration in Biostatistics. If you're in this category, can you signify or PM me so we can discuss about the process. 

Hey everyone, I got an email from UMichigan this morning asking about my continued interest in the waitlist for their Stats PhD program. I took myself off the waitlist because I have already committed to another program. For the people still waiting on Michigan, I just wanted to let you know that it seems like they are finally getting back to people. Best of luck to everybody!

28 minutes ago, penguinbombs said:

Hey everyone, I got an email from UMichigan this morning asking about my continued interest in the waitlist for their Stats PhD program. I took myself off the waitlist because I have already committed to another program. For the people still waiting on Michigan, I just wanted to let you know that it seems like they are finally getting back to people. Best of luck to everybody!

Hi, did you receive any notice about your waitlist status before? I have never ever received any emails since the submission

3 hours ago, lolstats said:

Hi, did you receive any notice about your waitlist status before? I have never ever received any emails since the submission

Nope, I had hadn't received any communication from them at all until today when I received an email from the department chair. So I didn't even know that I was on the waitlist or anything. 

31 minutes ago, penguinbombs said:

Nope, I had hadn't received any communication from them at all until today when I received an email from the department chair. So I didn't even know that I was on the waitlist or anything. 

Thank you so much for sharing. I didn’t receive anything since submission either. Fingers Crossed

On 4/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, SchoolboyQ said:

I applied to UNC (STOR) last year and had assumed rejection because I didn't hear anything before April 15th. Then, I received an email in early July telling me that I had been accepted. This was for the MS program but still lol.

omg that is insane... did you accept the offer in July lol

Has anyone heard from UFL or UPitt? My status is still pending and I haven’t received any responses so far. I’m so anxious.

+ I applied for MS program.

Edited by kokomango

2 hours ago, cc2819 said:

Just curious. Has anyone been admitted to Berkeley's MA in Biostat? I haven't seen any acceptions this year and am wondering if they're even accepting applicants for 2019.:blink: 

I've checked a Chinese forum and there's one person admitted so far.

Guys, anybody heard from UIUC (MSc) lately?

Someone posted in the results page that (s)he talked to the program director and he told results would come out at once (so: not rolling) before (or on) April 15th. But right after that 3 people posted their acceptances already... and so far all I got was radio silence!

I have another acceptance reminding me to accept/register/send them visa documentation literally every day... and I'm starting to worry about the timing of things (visa, looking for a place to stay, renting my place here and even buying a cheaper flight ticket to get there haha - internationals have a lot to worry about haha)

Do you have some experience with their admission process? Are they used to admit people way past April 15th?

Edited by CherryBlossom_

Hey, just wanted to let folks on the waitlists know that I declined my other two offers (out of the three top North Carolina schools), so if you're still waiting on any of them make sure to keep an eye out.  

I was waitlisted at UChicago Statistics on April 10th, 5 days before the April 15th deadline... Still nothing from Michigan Statistics. I never expected when I was applying to graduate programs that I still wouldn't know where I'd be heading this close to April 15th...