Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

Didn't get accepted by UChicago for an MS, which is totally fair. But not even being waitlisted despite having As in Real Analysis and Measure Theory, as well as some research experience? Also not shocking, but gotta say that stung a little.

Could it be because I only have one statistics class (Probability Theory)?

Blarg. Life goes on.

Edited by theduckster

5 hours ago, theduckster said:

Didn't get accepted by UChicago for an MS, which is totally fair. But not even being waitlisted despite having As in Real Analysis and Measure Theory, as well as some research experience? Also not shocking, but gotta say that stung a little.

Could it be because I only have one statistics class (Probability Theory)?

Blarg. Life goes on.

You'd probably have a better chance if you had applied to the PhD program, I think.

Has anyone received responses from Columbia's PhD program or Colorado State's? I'm beginning to wonder if maybe CSU has rolling admissions - I submitted in October of last year and have heard nothing since. 

It appears that there are Columbia Ph.D. acceptances listed on the results page, and at least one is from a domestic student (sometimes I think the international acceptances go out first, presumably for help accelerating paperwork), so I'm just assuming a rejection at this point.  

Edited by Geococcyx

4 hours ago, jwlim07 said:

Is there anyone who got no result from UChicago PhD program yet?

I feel pretty bumped cause there have been pretty much acceptances and rejections on the results page, but no a single email to me until now.

58 minutes ago, yukichi said:

Has anyone received responses from Columbia's PhD program or Colorado State's? I'm beginning to wonder if maybe CSU has rolling admissions - I submitted in October of last year and have heard nothing since. 

38 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

It appears that there are Columbia Ph.D. acceptances listed on the results page, and at least one is from a domestic student (sometimes I think the international acceptances go out first, presumably for help accelerating paperwork), so I'm just assuming a rejection at this point.  

I haven't heard back from Chicago or Columbia either. I checked Chicago's website (FAQ) and it explicitly says that they batch the applications and send out results (acceptances, rejections, waitlist) as soon as they review them, so if you haven't heard back it means they haven't reviewed your "batch" yet.

I mean, I want to believe them, but I can't help but think otherwise... 

And as for Columbia, I emailed the department today asking about my status. 

The struggle is REAL.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:34 AM, jwlim07 said:

Is there anyone who got no result from UChicago PhD program yet?

I feel pretty bumped cause there have been pretty much acceptances and rejections on the results page, but no a single email to me until now.

I haven't heard anything from Chicago, Berkeley, Harvard, Washington, or Michigan yet... Not a single contact or email since I applied to any of these programs, even though most have already sent out acceptances and rejections. I wonder why all of these programs are keeping me in the dark. I'm ready to be done with the waiting forever.

1 hour ago, lazo said:

I haven't heard anything from Chicago, Berkeley, Harvard, Washington, or Michigan yet... Not a single contact or email since I applied to any of these programs, even though most have already sent out acceptances and rejections. I wonder why all of these programs are keeping me in the dark. I'm ready to be done with the waiting forever.

same for me ... nothing from UW and Michigan

Did anybody get a weird email from UNC today? I reached out a few weeks ago about my MS Biostatistics application, and they responded with 

Hi [me], I am sure you have been notified of your admission!  Congratulations!

So that seems like an admit? But also that was all it said, the application hadn't changed on their website, and I haven't heard anything else from them lmao. It doesn't really matter since I'm going to UofMN, but it would feel good to know I got admitted to UNC too lol.

I reached out to UC Berkeley via email, and received a notification to check my portal about 30 minutes later. As I expected, a rejection :(. 

17 hours ago, fireuponthedeep said:

Did anybody get a weird email from UNC today? I reached out a few weeks ago about my MS Biostatistics application, and they responded with 

Hi [me], I am sure you have been notified of your admission!  Congratulations!

So that seems like an admit? But also that was all it said, the application hadn't changed on their website, and I haven't heard anything else from them lmao. It doesn't really matter since I'm going to UofMN, but it would feel good to know I got admitted to UNC too lol.

I guess the actual admissions email was just slow to arrive, I received it this morning. If the cost wasn't so prohibitive I'd love to go, but still nice to be admitted! Best of luck to everyone else waiting on admissions decisions!

9 hours ago, fireuponthedeep said:

the cost wasn't so prohibitive I'd love to

Just checked and it's a about $43000 intuition to get a masters in biostats from UNC. I wonder how that compares to Harvard, Washington, Hopkins, Michigan, Berkeley, Minnesota. One day I'll compare unless someone has done the math

14 hours ago, GoPackGo89 said:

Just checked and it's a about $43000 intuition to get a masters in biostats from UNC. I wonder how that compares to Harvard, Washington, Hopkins, Michigan, Berkeley, Minnesota. One day I'll compare unless someone has done the math

I think UNCs honestly not too bad compared to those schools (especially Harvard/JHU/berkeley once cost of living is factored in), out of state is 15k a semester for UNC, far higher at the other places. I receive in state tuition to UMN, so it will be nearly half as much to get my MS, which is a no brainer to me. And that's assuming I don't get a graduate assistantship lol. Plus I'll be closer to my family and my dogs need cold weather! If the costs were closer I'd definitely consider UNC, but regardless I'm sure happy to get an admit!