Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

Way to go @AsianSpice that’s awesome!

I was wondering what everyone else is doing with their Fall semester grades. Some (biostats) programs, like UNC, explicitly want them; some, like UWashington, explicitly don’t want them, but most don’t say either way. If it’s not mentioned are you guys emailing them in or just not bothering?

If y'all feel comfortable, don't forget (now or later) about the results page!  Looks like some Columbia and Michigan biostat Ph.D. results have been entered, but not anything that appears to be a traditional statistics Ph.D. (not real sure what to make of Educational Measurement and Statistics).

Also, ya' know, congratulations!

Just now, rabilstat said:

Congrats guys. What schools did you hear back from and how?

2 hours ago, Statboy said:

Got my first offer last week. (Statistics PhD) 

13 hours ago, data_scrub said:

Got an offer December 20th for Stats PhD

On 12/23/2018 at 2:16 AM, AsianSpice said:

Got my first offer on December 21st. Stats Ph.D.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:16 PM, Conman315 said:

Way to go @AsianSpice that’s awesome!

I was wondering what everyone else is doing with their Fall semester grades. Some (biostats) programs, like UNC, explicitly want them; some, like UWash, explicitly don’t want them, but most don’t say either way. If it’s not mentioned are you guys emailing them in or just not bothering?

I have the exact question as Conman315. I'm not sure whether or not to send in my Fall grades. If anyone can provide any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy (Gregorian) new year!  Looks like no one has posted any more results since the last post in this thread, so if you haven't gotten an interview/admission e-mail yet, don't worry!  Some results from past years seemed to show that some schools did actually send out e-mails in this Christmas/New Year's Eve week, but apparently they decided to give all of us (or at least those who post results here) a break, so go take advantage of it!

What does everyone think a typical timeline is to hear back from a school? I know some have heard from schools like OSU already, but thats a 2.5 week turnaround, which seems extremely unlikely for most programs. Do we suspect 8 weeks from the deadline or just mid-March regardless of the deadline is a good bet? Thanks and good luck all!

It seems to vary widely across programs. I just used particular school searches and sorted by decision date in the results section, e.g. like this For the ones I applied to, most are much earlier than mid march, and typically make first rounds by mid-January / early-February. But of course, I don't know how accurate those results are.. maybe someone else can chime in with what to expect from a given school, if you have a top choice in mind.

Edited by galois
fix link

4 hours ago, BL250604 said:

What does everyone think a typical timeline is to hear back from a school? I know some have heard from schools like OSU already, but thats a 2.5 week turnaround, which seems extremely unlikely for most programs. Do we suspect 8 weeks from the deadline or just mid-March regardless of the deadline is a good bet? Thanks and good luck all!

Biostatistics programs tend to get back earlier, usually in January. Statistics programs tend to be sometime in February.  It's rare that programs wait til March.

8 hours ago, BL250604 said:

Don't worry about it.  It's super early.  My guess is that OSU sorted applicants by GRE/GPA pulled out the best candidates to try to start recruiting top candidates before anyone heard back.  I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't done admitting yet. 

I posted this last year with some timelines of places I applied to and my signature has all the dates I heard back which except Duke and Columbia  and Baylor (edited) were the earliest reported dates on hear (unless someone backdated stuff in results without my knowledge): 

Edited by Bayesian1701

2 hours ago, Goodwillhunting2 said:

For Biostats, do schools normally send out interview invites all at once or staggered? I'm pretty bummed that Michigan and Columbia already sent them out

Me too... I haven't got any feedback from schools.

It doesn't appear to be a school that those worrying about admission decisions applied to, but I just said I didn't get any grad school e-mails today and was bummed out, then checked again and saw I got my first acceptance, so I'll second cyberwulf's optimism for us all!