Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

Congrats to the person who got accepted into Columbia! It looks like things have started picking up in the application side of things so hopefully those of us still waiting will get some good news soon. 

5 hours ago, yukichi said:

Congrats to the person who got accepted into Columbia! It looks like things have started picking up in the application side of things so hopefully those of us still waiting will get some good news soon. 

Could you tell me who got accepted to Colombia?

2 hours ago, Monte Carlo said:

It seems like duke usually send out all offers on the same day in the past years. Should we just expect rejections from Duke now? 

But usually duke would interview all non-duke students before sending out offers......

Yes, something seems different this year. In my UC Irvine interview, professor mentioned that they received 400 applications and were only interviewing 20 of them. Idk what is typical but that sounds like an absurdly high number for that tier. 

If the applicant pool is so unprecedentedly large this year, it's possible Duke changed process to accept the top ~ 2% or something ridiculously low, and will proceed in stages, interviewing some in the next batch..

Idk, just speculating in ways that don't crush my dreams?

1 hour ago, galois said:

Yes, something seems different this year. In my UC Irvine interview, professor mentioned that they received 400 applications and were only interviewing 20 of them. Idk what is typical but that sounds like an absurdly high number for that tier. 

That's... actually a little terrifying. I had heard that a lot of programs had previously (2012 - 2017) only received between 90 - 350 applications per cycle across both the PhD and Masters levels (with UNC-Chapel Hill having a relatively high number)

Maybe everyone's hopping on the data science train? 

7 hours ago, galois said:

If the applicant pool is so unprecedentedly large this year, it's possible Duke changed process to accept the top ~ 2% or something ridiculously low, and will proceed in stages, interviewing some in the next batch..

Idk, just speculating in ways that don't crush my dreams?

I noticed you were accepted to the UC Irvine statistics PhD program (congrats!)

Did they invite you to a visit day? Do you know if they are still interviewing applicants?

3 minutes ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

I noticed you were accepted to the UC Irvine statistics PhD program (congrats!)

Did they invite you to a visit day? Do you know if they are still interviewing applicants?

Thanks! It seems like a cool program especially if you are into interdisciplinary stuff, e.g. intersection with Comp Sci. Just hoping the stipend is reasonable for CA..

Not yet - I responded to the email asking about a visit day, so I can post here when I have an answer. And unfortunately I don't know if they're still interviewing. I would guess they'd need to have some of the admits withdraw first?

1 hour ago, galois said:

Thanks! It seems like a cool program especially if you are into interdisciplinary stuff, e.g. intersection with Comp Sci. Just hoping the stipend is reasonable for CA..

Not yet - I responded to the email asking about a visit day, so I can post here when I have an answer. And unfortunately I don't know if they're still interviewing. I would guess they'd need to have some of the admits withdraw first?

btw, how can i use such signature preferences? 

p.s. Never mind, i found it out

Edited by stlearn

Out of curiosity, for anyone accepted to a program already, did your program report total number of applications? So far, I've heard

UC Irvine: 400+ (source: my interview)

UT Austin: 150 (source: results section)

Seems larger than previous years. Curious if Duke, UNC, CMU have released this info. Also, I'm crushed that I (probably) didn't get into UT Austin.

I'm curious to see if any folks waiting for NC State decisions get acceptances today/tomorrow.  Most of the recent decisions on the results page have been straight rejections, and I got waitlisted -- I would think with all of NC State's application load that they'd still have acceptances coming out, but I haven't heard about any after those couple reported on the Chinese forums a little bit ago.

@data_scrub I think your options so far are still pretty good!  I'll be at UIUC's visit day, so hope to run into you there.

I'm really hoping some schools release more decisions before the weekend.  I'm getting pretty stir-crazy about Carnegie Mellon in particular, but for CMU or those who interviewed at Harvard/Hopkins, or any other school, I have to figure Super Bowl weekend's about the best weekend to help you momentarily forget that you didn't get into your dream school.

3 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

@data_scrub I think your options so far are still pretty good!  I'll be at UIUC's visit day, so hope to run into you there.

I'm really hoping some schools release more decisions before the weekend.  I'm getting pretty stir-crazy about Carnegie Mellon in particular, but for CMU or those who interviewed at Harvard/Hopkins, or any other school, I have to figure Super Bowl weekend's about the best weekend to help you momentarily forget that you didn't get into your dream school.

Thanks roadrunner! I'll be at the visit day as well, seems like a very interesting program.

I just read on CMU's website that there's about 10 people in each entering class, so I'm not too optimistic for my chances but still excited to hear back. Seems like they put out some acceptances around this time last year so hopefully we'll see soon.

I'm kind of regretting my decision to not apply to NC State (even though their major focuses in computational stats + biostats aren't my main research interests) simply because I would have probably heard something from them by now. Silence from 9 programs is disheartening.