Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

I've received an email from the Texas A&M Statistics Department nominating me for a university-based diversity fellowship and encouraging me to apply. But nothing was said about whether I am admitted or not. Does anybody know what this means in terms of my admission to the university? 

1 hour ago, orchidnora said:

I've received an email from the Texas A&M Statistics Department nominating me for a university-based diversity fellowship and encouraging me to apply. But nothing was said about whether I am admitted or not. Does anybody know what this means in terms of my admission to the university? 

I would think that means that you're admitted, but it certainly would be great if you could get $$$ while not attending! In all seriousness, this probably means you're in, but a school told me I would get a fellowship last year and then told me I wouldn't be able to attend after the visit day, so I would never count anything 100%, but you should be good. 

Thanks guys for the help! Also, I won an award at JMM last week, and was asked to sit on a panel regarding my research. Is it worthwhile to send an update to the schools I applied to? If so, do I just send it to the staff there and ask for them to pass it along, or to the grad coordinator? Thanks!

Maybe they are rejecting all of us ? I feel like there won't be that much time for interviews now.

Also, I see some UW Applied Math acceptances; I know this is a Stats thread, but did anyone else hear back from them? I'm curious if they mentioned anything about applicant pool, timeline, etc., in their accept/reject notices.

54 minutes ago, galois said:

Maybe they are rejecting all of us ? I feel like there won't be that much time for interviews now.

Also, I see some UW Applied Math acceptances; I know this is a Stats thread, but did anyone else hear back from them? I'm curious if they mentioned anything about applicant pool, timeline, etc., in their accept/reject notices.

I checked UW yesterday and my application status is still submitted. I'd imagine probably next week they would start sending out notices since their deadline was Dec 3rd.

Thanks, @MathStat and @ducky500! For anyone wondering, I did email Texas A&M about my admissions. They confirmed that I am accepted and that I will receive TA/RA funding even if I'm not awarded the fellowship. 

I haven't heard anything yet about the Stats Ph.D. at UW and Duke. My application statuses are still just "submitted". 

30 minutes ago, yukichi said:

I checked UW yesterday and my application status is still submitted. I'd imagine probably next week they would start sending out notices since their deadline was Dec 3rd.

I was referring to UW Applied Math. Their deadline is actually 1/15 and they already have some accept/rejects out. Quite a turn around time! But yes, all my applications to them (Applied Math PhD, Statistics PhD, Math MS) still read as status submitted.

2 hours ago, MathStat said:

Congratulations for receiving good news, orchidnora and ducky500. Did anyone hear anything about Duke Statistics?

I just asked some Duke faculty and he told me they just finalized the application process yesterday and haven't sent out the interviews yet. So don't worry guys!

7 minutes ago, ChoweeWu said:

I just asked some Duke faculty and he told me they just finalized the application process yesterday

Huh, interesting wording. Do you know what he meant? Presumably the "application process" is already finalized, given the age of the program. Maybe they are making some changes to admissions this year?

2 minutes ago, galois said:

Huh, interesting wording. Do you know what he meant? Presumably the "application process" is already finalized, given the age of the program. Maybe they are making some changes to admissions this year?

Sorry for the confusion. He said something is finalized (I forget the exact words he used). He means they haven't sent out any letters yet. So don't worry!

3 hours ago, galois said:

I was referring to UW Applied Math. Their deadline is actually 1/15 and they already have some accept/rejects out. Quite a turn around time! But yes, all my applications to them (Applied Math PhD, Statistics PhD, Math MS) still read as status submitted.

Oh, sorry for misreading. That is a really quick turn around!