UW Seattle MSW Fall 2019

Capturedvitality

Hey anyone-  if UW Seattle is one of your top choices, would you mind saying briefly why?  Especially would love to hear from those doing the clinical track. 

I  have been accepted to the MSW Day program ? and need to make decisions!

Thanks and best of luck! 

Edited by findtheriver

On 3/20/2019 at 6:06 PM, katface said:

I was admitted to the Day program on 3/15. I'm deciding between UW and BU!

In my email it said to keep an eye out for scholarships... has anyone heard anything from UW about scholarship, yet?

I'm deciding between BC and UW myself! Any progress on your decision? I'm still at a standstill.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, minniepoptarte said:

anyone here going to the event with lunch on Thursday April 4th??

I cant make any of the welcome events, but if anyone who attends would mind reporting back how they were I would be so grateful!

Regarding scholarship notifications--- just in case it puts anyone's mind at ease-- they clarified that they will notify us by email either way, including if we were not approved for scholarship funding, just so you don't have to wonder. And they're now saying early April at latest (so I'm guessing next week). 

On 3/18/2019 at 2:45 AM, findtheriver said:

Hey anyone-  if UW Seattle is one of your top choices, would you mind saying briefly why?  Especially would love to hear from those doing the clinical track. 

I  have been accepted to the MSW Day program ? and need to make decisions!

Thanks and best of luck! 

Hi @findtheriver, I'll be attending UW in the fall, but I'm doing the macro-level track. UW is known in this area for not having a strong clinical focus - if you're interested in private practice in particular, I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else. I actually had a social worker in my office tell me that it was good I'm interested in macro-level practice because otherwise she'd have told me not to waste my money applying to UW. However, the program is very well regarded in the area, especially in the local nonprofit sphere, so if you'd like to work in a direct practice role in a different way, it could still be a good option for you to establish yourself in the Seattle area.

Edited by claireospace
Clarification

8 hours ago, claireospace said:

I received an email yesterday at around 11 AM PST letting me know I have been awarded financial aid from the SSW! Keep checking your emails everyone, and good luck!

I got loans, but what about department funding awards? Did they also notify you about that?

11 hours ago, claireospace said:

Hi @findtheriver, I'll be attending UW in the fall, but I'm doing the macro-level track. UW is known in this area for not having a strong clinical focus - if you're interested in private practice in particular, I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else. I actually had a social worker in my office tell me that it was good I'm interested in macro-level practice because otherwise she'd have told me not to waste my money applying to UW. However, the program is very well regarded in the area, especially in the local nonprofit sphere, so if you'd like to work in a direct practice role in a different way, it could still be a good option for you to establish yourself in the Seattle area.

Thank you for the insight! Seems like a majority of students are in the Clinical concentration so that's a bit surprising. 

Do you have a sense of why? Eg. if someone was specifically looking at private clinical practice they would not be sufficiently well-prepared? (I'm not planning to do that, but would want to at least have the option in the future...) Did people like your co-worker have a disappointing experience working with clinical SWs from UW? 

Starting this year they are changing the clinical concentration a bit to give students more flexibility/ knowledge integration, so I wonder if that will change... 

It's good to hear that it's well- regarded overall, but as much as I'd like to live/work in Seattle the program has to be right! 

17 hours ago, findtheriver said:

I got the email about loans from Office of FinAid, but nothing yet about departmental scholarships. 

Ok. I was just wondering. Those should be out by early April, so next week at the latest. Good luck!

On 3/29/2019 at 1:54 AM, claireospace said:

Hi @findtheriver, I'll be attending UW in the fall, but I'm doing the macro-level track. UW is known in this area for not having a strong clinical focus - if you're interested in private practice in particular, I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else. I actually had a social worker in my office tell me that it was good I'm interested in macro-level practice because otherwise she'd have told me not to waste my money applying to UW. However, the program is very well regarded in the area, especially in the local nonprofit sphere, so if you'd like to work in a direct practice role in a different way, it could still be a good option for you to establish yourself in the Seattle area.

Thank you for the input! That's a little surprising since it seems like so many people are in the clinical track there. Do you know why/  Why not private practice in particular? Do people not get enough clinical training to be versatile and independent?  And/or something else? 

I'm not aiming for private practice, but it would be good to have as an option some time in the future. 

Apparently they are currently changing the clinical concentration which should give students more options so wonder if that will change...

I would love to work/ live in Seattle, but the program has to be right! 

6 hours ago, findtheriver said:

Thank you for the input! That's a little surprising since it seems like so many people are in the clinical track there. Do you know why/  Why not private practice in particular? Do people not get enough clinical training to be versatile and independent?  And/or something else? 

I'm not aiming for private practice, but it would be good to have as an option some time in the future. 

Apparently they are currently changing the clinical concentration which should give students more options so wonder if that will change...

I think if you want to work in Seattle there is no better place to go than UW, especially since the program is nationally well respected 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:05 AM, findtheriver said:

I am in the same boat as you. I am going into clinical track and am either going to BU or UW. I would love to hear more about why UW is the wrong choice if you are going clinical or would like to go into private practice later on. Are there any resources or tips to help people decide?

I've received nothing but loans from  both programs, which really hurts, especially since I'll be moving from the Midwest to either of the country's most expensive cities... I want to make sure I'm making the right choice, especially since I'll be paying off these loans until the end of time.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, nur.msw said:

I'm deciding between BC and UW myself! Any progress on your decision? I'm still at a standstill.

I'm at a major standstill, too. I went to BU's admitted student day this past weekend which was a nice way to see the campus/classrooms and get a feel for the staff. It was an enjoyable experience, but seeing the cost of living that they estimated for us as students was really jarring... I'm planning on visiting Seattle this weekend and will hopefully make my decision by next weekend, after visiting both schools and cities. I'm really hoping someone can share their thoughts on which program is better for clinical track, though....

13 hours ago, katface said:

I am in the same boat as you. I am going into clinical track and am either going to BU or UW. I would love to hear more about why UW is the wrong choice if you are going clinical or would like to go into private practice later on. Are there any resources or tips to help people decide?

I've received nothing but loans from  both programs, which really hurts, especially since I'll be moving from the Midwest to either of the country's most expensive cities... I want to make sure I'm making the right choice, especially since I'll be paying off these loans until the end of time.

The only thing I can think of from what I've heard so far is that maybe it's a little less hands-on?  That's way more important in clinical than macro.  For example some schools have a regular seminar course that  accompanies practicum to discuss fieldwork, conference cases, etc--  like additional group supervision with a professor. UW doesn't seem to have that-- or rather they do but it's not very frequent.  That might be changing with the changes to the curriculum but I'm not sure....

Also-- I see you got in to Michigan as well!  I was also accepted there so now that's in the running too. Can I ask why you decided not to go there? (Assuming since you said you're choosing btwn UW and BU). What's your impression of the UMich program? 

On 4/2/2019 at 4:37 AM, findtheriver said:

The only thing I can think of from what I've heard so far is that maybe it's a little less hands-on?  That's way more important in clinical than macro.  For example some schools have a regular seminar course that  accompanies practicum to discuss fieldwork, conference cases, etc--  like additional group supervision with a professor. UW doesn't seem to have that-- or rather they do but it's not very frequent.  That might be changing with the changes to the curriculum but I'm not sure....

Also-- I see you got in to Michigan as well!  I was also accepted there so now that's in the running too. Can I ask why you decided not to go there? (Assuming since you said you're choosing btwn UW and BU). What's your impression of the UMich program? 

Thank you for the insight! That makes a lot of sense.

I did get in to Michigan, and I think it's a fantastic program - one of my best friends actually just finished her MSW from UM and loved it.

The reason I'm not really considering UM is because I've lived in Michigan my entire life, lived in Ann Arbor for 6+ years, and my fiance and I are ready for a change. We see this as a safe opportunity to move away for a limited time before settling down near family (both of our families live in close proximity in Michigan). I love Ann Arbor, it's an amazing town, but I want to have exposure to different cities, different lifestyles, different cultures that come with bigger cities, etc. etc. And in the end, I didn't receive enough in scholarship to make it that much more financially feasible, to be honest. While UM is an amazing program, I'm of the belief that it's more about what you make of your degree than where it's from, and life is too short to not go out and explore the world (I'm ready to get out of the Midwest)!