Fall 2019 Applicants

On 2/26/2019 at 11:23 PM, Nathanael said:

Received an email titled Application Complete this morning. Seems an auto-reply.

image.png.1660d1a67cc3b5b873624fd5bd22e039.png

Got this yesterday and assumed it was a system glitch, but got emailed about an interview for the long list today. 

Does anyone know how CUNY interviews work? Like does getting an interview mean that you will either get accepted or placed on the waitlist or is it still possible to be rejected? I kind of tried asking but I was too nervous to do so in a coherent manner (also my general awkwardness probably didn't help). Was anyone able to figure out the exact date decisions will come out?

Also is it just me or are decisions in general kind of behind schedule? I kind of expected to have most of my decisions by the end of February but I still haven't heard from many schools ? .

@perpetualalligator I asked around last week Tuesday or Wednesday. They were finalizing the interviews and said they would be sending out decisions by early March. Tbh I kinda expected to hear from them today but nothing. As for the accepted w funding/ no funding/waitlisted I am not sure. When I interviewed w a prof he made it seem they were recommending some students to fellowships outside of the $25,000 and then fitting the rest to either admit w tuition remission/ waitlist. 

I am not at all sure if this is the case but they kind of made it seem that way. Sorry, I probably didn't provide a solid answer but that was my impression lol. 

@adamanthro Oh damn, I hate the really vague "early, mid, late" shit. JUST TELL US ALREADY! They have all the power, they could at least just let us know when they are going to release their decisions. Hopefully they'll let us know by the beginning of next week. Thanks for the information!

21 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

Does anyone know how CUNY interviews work? Like does getting an interview mean that you will either get accepted or placed on the waitlist or is it still possible to be rejected? I kind of tried asking but I was too nervous to do so in a coherent manner (also my general awkwardness probably didn't help). Was anyone able to figure out the exact date decisions will come out?

Also is it just me or are decisions in general kind of behind schedule? I kind of expected to have most of my decisions by the end of February but I still haven't heard from many schools ? .

@perpetualalligator, I believe GC might be sending out the first set of decisions the coming week. Apparently, they follow a rolling process, so if a student turns down the admit/funding, it gets offered to the next in line - which means that their decisions could go on till even April, according to a former student member of the adcomm. 

19 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

@perpetualalligator, I believe GC might be sending out the first set of decisions the coming week. Apparently, they follow a rolling process, so if a student turns down the admit/funding, it gets offered to the next in line - which means that their decisions could go on till even April, according to a former student member of the adcomm. 

Wow, would you happen to know how many people do they interview then if it’s rolling? Probably more than the 13 spots they offer. Their process is so weird. Honestly, I wasn’t even expecting to reach the interview stage and CUNY is probably my top choice so the wait is killing me. ?

Edited by perpetualalligator

8 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

Wow, would you happen to know how many people do they interview then if it’s rolling? Probably more than the 13 spots they offer. Their process is so weird. Honestly, I wasn’t even expecting to reach the interview stage and CUNY is probably my top choice so the wait is killing me. ?

Ugh, I feel you! It is my top choice as well! Hope we both get in! 

And I'm sorry, I 'm not sure. I'd hazard a guess of maybe 20-25? (This is only a guess, pliss not to panic anybody - I know I would if I saw this!) 

P.S: Anyone waiting on NYU should hear over this week as well, I mailed the adcomm head. Though I was rejected, best of luck to you guys out here! Also, don't panic if they haven't reached out yet, I don't think that's necessarily the case for NYU to do interviews/early acceptances. 

8 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

And I'm sorry, I 'm not sure. I'd hazard a guess of maybe 20-25? (This is only a guess, pliss not to panic anybody - I know I would if I saw this!) 

P.S: Anyone waiting on NYU should hear over this week as well, I mailed the adcomm head. Though I was rejected, best of luck to you guys out here! Also, don't panic if they haven't reached out yet, I don't think that's necessarily the case for NYU to do interviews/early acceptances. 

Hi! May I ask which track of anthropology in CUNY and NYU you applied for? I've been waiting for socio-track in NYU and bio-track in CUNY for a long time. I only applied for 7 schools and was turned down by four already... I kind of losing hope right now :(

35 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

I haven't heard from NYU and I guess it will be a rejection. Two people have been admitted (one bio, one cultural) on the result page and there is also one waitlist. Hate to be so negative, but if one still has not heard anything, it is highly posssible it will be a rejection (which is the case for all the other programs that I have been rejected ?)

Both were socio-cultural. And don't lose hope! I'm sure you'll hear positively soon! 

34 minutes ago, Xiiiiin said:

Hi! May I ask which track of anthropology in CUNY and NYU you applied for? I've been waiting for socio-track in NYU and bio-track in CUNY for a long time. I only applied for 7 schools and was turned down by four already... I kind of losing hope right now :(

1 hour ago, SmauelJ said:

I haven't heard from NYU and I guess it will be a rejection. Two people have been admitted (one bio, one cultural) on the result page and there is also one waitlist. Hate to be so negative, but if one still has not heard anything, it is highly posssible it will be a rejection (which is the case for all the other programs that I have been rejected ?)

I am not sure the waitlist for cultural is real because it honestly doesn't make sense that someone got a waitlist notification before someone else in the same subdiscipline got their acceptance. It does seem though that acceptances usally come out a month before they upload rejections so I do agree they if we haven't heard from NYU we're probably rejected.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, perpetualalligator said:

Current CUNY student here. Yes, they are behind schedule, and yes, you can be rejected after an interview. And no, they do not have an exact date yet. Hang in there!

I apologize for being so insistent about this but did anyone apply to CU Boulder and receive a decision already or knows someone who applied and received some sort of decision (preferably acceptance or wait list)? I haven't heard anything yet and I have emailed everyone I could possibly email and have not gotten a direct response. Please, I really like this school and I really want them to stop messing with my feelings. ?

Accepted to UC Denver's MA!! The PI I mentioned in my application is apparently in the process of retiring (although he didn't mention it during our conversations before I submitted my application...) but there are other faculty interested in working with me. They would like me to respond by March 29 so they can start the onboarding process. No mention of funding or travel stipend/open house info (in their acceptance email, Maryland offered a $200 travel stipend to visit, and their open house is later this week). Does anyone have any insight into this program?

@spoitier Congratulations!! I do not know anything about CU Denver but I would assume that because they set March 29 as a deadline to respond that they're not giving you any funding? From my experience Anthropology programs tend to respect the "if there is funding involved you should not force people to accept before April 15th" thing (https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution),, so if they're asking for a response before then, there's probably no funding (this is my reasoning I could be wrong).  I would honestly just email and ask; it never hurts. Good luck :)

Welp, got the expected rejections from NYU and Harvard. NYU was just not a very great fit so no surprise there. Some mild disappointment about Harvard, as the fit was actually quite strong, but obviously it is not really a shock. 

Basically, I am waiting to hear back about one admissions decision (where it seems as though I've been waitlisted) and two funding decisions, but fortunately I was admitted to one of my better fitting programs (UCSD) so I'll be happy if that's where I end up. 

Just for those who haven't gotten any admits: this is my third time going through this process. I think it's quite common for it to take multiple applications for this to pan out, and even though it's a brutal process, my willingness to have gone through this process so many times (rather than just losing interest after the first or second) really showed me that this is in fact something I care about doing. So if possible, try and use all this as a litmus test for your commitment to this endeavor. Maybe you find out you're really not that into it and pursue other things that you deem to be more worth your time, or maybe you find that you are, and you use the next 6 months to bolster your application package in ways that make you more attractive to an even wider array of programs (I moved back to my geographic area of interest after my first rejection, which was great for both my application and quality of life). At the end of the day, these outcomes are both ok.   

Well, I just got rejected by NYU. This whole process seems to have such an element of randomness to it--I was accepted at Notre Dame, which is my top choice, but literally rejected everywhere else. So, while trying  not to read too much into the rejections, to Indiana I go in the Fall! 

That's it for me, I suppose. I haven't posted much but this forum has been a lifeline during this stressful crazy time! Thank you and goodbye, fellow anthro nerds (and for the people still waiting on results, I hope you hear good news soon)! 

19 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

@spoitier Congratulations!! I do not know anything about CU Denver but I would assume that because they set March 29 as a deadline to respond that they're not giving you any funding? From my experience Anthropology programs tend to respect the "if there is funding involved you should not force people to accept before April 15th" thing (https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution),, so if they're asking for a response before then, there's probably no funding (this is my reasoning I could be wrong).  I would honestly just email and ask; it never hurts. Good luck :)

Thank you @perpetualalligator! I did email them and the program director responded very quickly, saying that state funding has been lacking and that's why the department doesn't offer much. I applied with the understanding that they don't offer full funding, but their website mentioned merit scholarships and TA/RA opportunities, which weren't mentioned in my acceptance email. After further questioning, it sounds like I could get a TA position after doing well in my core courses and could qualify for more scholarships after my first semester as well. Overall the faculty have been amazingly kind, responsive, and willing to find people to answer questions they don't have answers to themselves, and I like the courses and the applied/community focus of the program, but I'd likely take a funded program over this one (if I even get any funding packages lol).

1 hour ago, G_speed said:

Welp, got the expected rejections from NYU and Harvard. NYU was just not a very great fit so no surprise there. Some mild disappointment about Harvard, as the fit was actually quite strong, but obviously it is not really a shock. 

Basically, I am waiting to hear back about one admissions decision (where it seems as though I've been waitlisted) and two funding decisions, but fortunately I was admitted to one of my better fitting programs (UCSD) so I'll be happy if that's where I end up. 

Just for those who haven't gotten any admits: this is my third time going through this process. I think it's quite common for it to take multiple applications for this to pan out, and even though it's a brutal process, my willingness to have gone through this process so many times (rather than just losing interest after the first or second) really showed me that this is in fact something I care about doing. So if possible, try and use all this as a litmus test for your commitment to this endeavor. Maybe you find out you're really not that into it and pursue other things that you deem to be more worth your time, or maybe you find that you are, and you use the next 6 months to bolster your application package in ways that make you more attractive to an even wider array of programs (I moved back to my geographic area of interest after my first rejection, which was great for both my application and quality of life). At the end of the day, these outcomes are both ok.   

Hi G_speed, could I ask about what did you do during the gap time between your first or second round of application? I was rejected by five schools already, and the only school that gave me offer seemed to have no funding for me. I am seeking advice on how to boost my application next year. If you would like to share your experience, I really appreciate it!

10 minutes ago, Xiiiiin said:

Hi G_speed, could I ask about what did you do during the gap time between your first or second round of application? I was rejected by five schools already, and the only school that gave me offer seemed to have no funding for me. I am seeking advice on how to boost my application next year. If you would like to share your experience, I really appreciate it!

The main thing I did was to move back to my geographic area of research interest and take about a year of university-level courses in the local language. In retrospect, there were more things I could have done but didn't, such as improve my GRE scores, publish original work, get involved at local conferences and seek out work opportunities (paid or volunteer) that would have related to my scholarly aspirations. I would recommend getting started on these things as soon as possible while the frustration of rejection is still fresh in your mind, you'll thank yourself when the next application cycle comes around. Good luck! 

49 minutes ago, G_speed said:

The main thing I did was to move back to my geographic area of research interest and take about a year of university-level courses in the local language. In retrospect, there were more things I could have done but didn't, such as improve my GRE scores, publish original work, get involved at local conferences and seek out work opportunities (paid or volunteer) that would have related to my scholarly aspirations. I would recommend getting started on these things as soon as possible while the frustration of rejection is still fresh in your mind, you'll thank yourself when the next application cycle comes around. Good luck! 

Thank you for sharing! Congratulations on your admission!