How are the 2019 applications coming

help_needed

3 hours ago, chasebf said:

Anybody heard anything from Columbia yet?  I've got some deadlines on offers approaching and they seem to be really dragging their processes this year lol

Might be worth letting them know, in case they can either expedite the process or at least let you know where you stand.

Just for anyone who was more atmospheric and looking at this forum... my profile was the first one in this thread

UC Davis (Dept Land Air Water Resources) -Accepted back in mid january

UC Santa Cruz (Earth and Planetary Science)- Accepted in late january

Colorado State (Atmos) - Interviewed late january and bombed (presumably rejected)

CU Boulder (ATOC) - Accepted February

UCLA (Atmospheric & ocean science) - Accepted early February

Berkeley & Washington - have not heard from either so presumably rejected

Univ Victoria - Application withdrawn 

Hope this helps to next years group!

On 2/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, mjmr said:

I applied geophysics and geological science program of stanford and UT austin. I've been to prospective student visit at stanford last week. For Austin, I asked about visiting interview but they said they won't give any official visiting interview this year. They also told me the admission process will be conducted until the end of March. Cheers! 

I went there too on Feb 13-14th. Have you heard back from Stanford yet?

On 2/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, help_needed said:

Just for anyone who was more atmospheric and looking at this forum... my profile was the first one in this thread

UC Davis (Dept Land Air Water Resources) -Accepted back in mid january

UC Santa Cruz (Earth and Planetary Science)- Accepted in late january

Colorado State (Atmos) - Interviewed late january and bombed (presumably rejected)

CU Boulder (ATOC) - Accepted February

UCLA (Atmospheric & ocean science) - Accepted early February

Berkeley & Washington - have not heard from either so presumably rejected

Univ Victoria - Application withdrawn 

Hope this helps to next years group!

From another atmospheric person, thank you!!  Here are my updates as well - 

• UMass Lowell - Accepted Feb 6th, funding decisions to be shared mid-March
  • UW Madison - Sort of rejected mid Feb.  Expecting actual rejection in March.
  • Rutgers - Interviewed late Jan (phone, fairly informal), visiting campus at end of March (also seems informal).  Based on my last conversation with my POI I'm likely to be accepted, but I'm not 100% sure.  Funding decisions to be made sometime in April.

Does anyone have information on when Rutgers is making official admissions decisions, for atmospheric science or related programs?  I thought it would have been sometime in the last couple of weeks but I haven't heard yet... I don't want to bother them too much. :)

I'm also coming from 5 years in industry so this process is super new to me!

@Unconsolidated_Regolith Were you the Central acceptance today? I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to, and I know there's still lots of time (especially since they aren't top programs that start early) but I'm starting to get very antsy!

13 hours ago, OcelotTracks said:

Were you the Central acceptance today?

I got an acceptance from CWU yesterday, though I haven't posted it on the results page yet.  I think that was their initial wave of acceptances.  85% of tuition was offered in the funding package plus $8100 stipend as TA. They stated that faculty would be reaching out to the individuals that they're paired with soon.  Shoot me a DM if you want to talk specifics about your POI, or if you want more info.

First rejection by Stanford geological sciences! See I was right about March is the rejection month at least for me :) I'm chill still but with 5 more programs to go, I just wanna know.

Okay another rejection from Caltech geobiology an hour later! Things're really going the way I want them to?

Edited by Camillalxy

Welp, got rejected by Stanford today.  So thats 2/3 rejections for me.  Honestly though I had kind of made my peace with the fact that I might not get in anywhere.  If my last one is an admit itll be a surprise for sure, but Im weirdly ok with across the board rejections.  Somewhere along the line this year I stopped tying my self worth with academic success and thats made a huge difference on my outlook.  Not knowing what Im going to do after my masters feels oddly liberating. 

Hey Y'all,

I'm looking for advice from anyone who's already completed a Master's in Earth Science, regarding choosing an advisor.  So I currently have two potential professors from a school that I'll be visiting later this week and the situation seems pretty complex as to which prof would be the best one to go with. 

Professor 1 has a full RA that he's offered me, but so far I've found our communication to be somewhat frustrating in that even after I was accepted to his lab, I couldn't get him to answer questions I posed in my emails, and it has taken up to 2 weeks to hear back from him in some cases. When he does write back it is very brief and vague.  We've never even spoken on the phone and I know little about his personality or what projects he hopes to pursue next year.

Professor 2 would be on a TA but he seems much easier to communicate with.  We spoke via skype a week ago and have been in frequent communication via email, and he's been quite helpful. His projects sound interesting and impactful, though the research may end with me having slightly lower hire-ability than if I went with Prof 1. 

I'm curious what you all think about weighing the perks of having the funding and fewer non-research obligations vs. working with a PI who you may mesh with better interpersonally but you'd have to take on teaching responsibilities.  Let me know what you think. I'm gonna meet these guys at the end of the week. Maybe Professor 1 is just bad at typing and we'll get along swimmingly in person, but in any case I thought this would be a useful discussion to have for others who may end up in this situation.

Has anyone gotten into Banfield's lab at Berkeley this year? She takes students from pretty much every program at Berkeley but I applied specifically from a GeoBio angle through EPS.

She expressed interest in working with me and invited me for an informal interview, but I think I might have been a bit disjointed in proposing a proper course of study to her during that interview. 

@Unconsolidated_Regolith Think there's any chance you could be an RA for Professor 2 after the first year? Maybe you can get an idea of that on the trip. If you want to end up as a professor, having the experience as a TA could help, too. 

@Camillalxy How did the open house at Georgia Tech go? Did you get the feeling that all acceptances had already been sent out? I emailed the department's grad info address, but I'm not too optimistic of getting a timely response. 

Edit: Well, I shouldn't have been so pessimistic about getting a quick response. All acceptances to Georgia Tech EAS have been sent and the department doesn't send rejections until the end of April (?!).

Edited by magnetite

1 minute ago, magnetite said:

@Unconsolidated_Regolith Think there's any chance you could be an RA for Professor 2 after the first year? Maybe you can get an idea of that on the trip. If you want to end up as a professor, having the experience as a TA could help, too. 

@Camillalxy How did the open house at Georgia Tech go? Did you get the feeling that all acceptances had already been sent out? I emailed the department's grad info address, but I'm not too optimistic of getting a timely response. 

Hey it went okay, there were about 10 admitted students. But they didn’t really tell us how the admission process was like and I forgot to ask... Keep the hope up until it’s rejection!