How are the 2019 applications coming

help_needed

There appears to be more than a handful of well-intentioned folks here giving some rather insightful advice. On the other hand, we have some rather generic excuses and rationale why the system is flawed and should not apply to the person who is applying to be a part of the very community she holds with such contempt. The system is not perfect, but it is what it is, participate in it or do not. Good folks are offering you good counsel....You should know this comes from an older OG  man of color who has known every shade of poverty during his life.

1 hour ago, Boolakanaka said:

@rockwizard In my experience, and that’s based on being on admissions committees and having two daughters in graduate school (MIT and Yale) that after a couple of attempts, multiple scores are sort of discounted and but a piece of the admissions puzzle. That said, upper tier programs will be looking for consistency of high achievement in a variety of areas. For the record, both my Ds took the GRE just once...

You're not required to send all your scores though, are you? If your best score for each of the three sections came on three different dates, then I suppose a school would see you've taken it at least three times. 

Haven’t gotten into any PhD programs ( CJ) yet...2 programs (ASU & Albany) said that my GRE scores were the reason why I didn’t get in!!! FML ?? I have severe anxiety and don’t do well on tests. I have my MA from BU...waiting on more programs but I’m not confident I’ll get in! 

I think that as of a couple of years ago ETS no longer requires students to submit all scores from the GRE.  Now in the Send Scores portal on the ETS website, the student can choose exactly which scores they want to send, as long as they are from the same test date.  For example, I completely bombed the first time I took the test in 2017, and subsequently retook the test in 2018. For my Fall 2019 applications I only reported my 2018 scores.  There were no schools that I applied to who explicitly stated that I should report all test scores, and so I only reported those that I thought would benefit my application.

@Boolakanaka @magnetite  

On 1/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, OcelotTracks said:

Applying to Where:

UBC, Portland State, Oregon State, University of Oregon, Boise State, Central Washington (all applications finished, in contact with several potential advisors)

Hey @OcelotTracks Have you heard anything back from Central Washington?  Their deadline was only a week ago, but i'm super anxious to hear back!

10 hours ago, Aerinite said:

@airwiz still haven't heard back from Caltech. Did you apply to ESE too?

@Aerinite @airwiz I haven't heard anything from Caltech either (GPS, Geology Option with interest in planetary science)... not a good sign lol. The past five years of grad cafe submissions indicate that they send out a ton of rejections in the middle of Feb (14th and 15) too...

Historically this is the now the time where the bulk of schools start releasing acceptance and/or quasi-acceptance info (e.g. visits).  

Just wanted to wish everybody good luck in these next weeks! 

Additionally, though it's cliche take care of yourselves mentally, this is a stressful time and can make people far more anxious than it should. 

Good luck to all. I've applied to masters programs in geology, mainly interested in studying fluvial or tectonic geomorphology.

My background: 3.3 undergrad gpa, some undergrad research experience, 2 years environmental consulting experience, 162q/151v/4.0w

Schools I applied to include:

UC Santa Barbara

Cal State Long Beach

Montana State University

Colorado State University

Colorado Boulder

University of Delaware

- - - - - - 

Hoping we all hear back soon!

5 hours ago, rocksandstuff said:

@Aerinite @airwiz I haven't heard anything from Caltech either (GPS, Geology Option with interest in planetary science)... not a good sign lol. The past five years of grad cafe submissions indicate that they send out a ton of rejections in the middle of Feb (14th and 15) too...

2 acceptances to their geobiology option appeared on GradCafe ages ago in January so I'm probably getting rejections tbh ? But geology folks you have my best wishes!

I saw Stanford sent out a notice to someone today.  If youre reading this, was it the generic email to look at the portal?  Also, im sorry about that.

I just got my first notice and rejection the other day, so Im waiting with bated breath over here.  Also, a fun fact I learned from this rejection: you can have excellent qualifications but be rejected based whether the POI likes you or not.  I got an offer to visit from this school, then my POI grilled me on my personality last week, and got my visit rescinded based off (and im paraphrasing since I deleted that email) "depsite an excellent background, you werent excited enough and fit is incredibly important".  Which I believe is code for they personally didnt like me.  Ultimately it makes sense to base a decision off that, especially in a PhD program, but damn does that sting. 

44 minutes ago, chasebf said:

Historically this is the now the time where the bulk of schools start releasing acceptance and/or quasi-acceptance info (e.g. visits).  

Just wanted to wish everybody good luck in these next weeks! 

Additionally, though it's cliche take care of yourselves mentally, this is a stressful time and can make people far more anxious than it should. 

Sending y'all sunshine and power from today's 80-degree-Atlanta!

5 hours ago, cratergator said:

I saw Stanford sent out a notice to someone today.  If youre reading this, was it the generic email to look at the portal?  Also, im sorry about that.

I just got my first notice and rejection the other day, so Im waiting with bated breath over here.  Also, a fun fact I learned from this rejection: you can have excellent qualifications but be rejected based whether the POI likes you or not.  I got an offer to visit from this school, then my POI grilled me on my personality last week, and got my visit rescinded based off (and im paraphrasing since I deleted that email) "depsite an excellent background, you werent excited enough and fit is incredibly important".  Which I believe is code for they personally didnt like me.  Ultimately it makes sense to base a decision off that, especially in a PhD program, but damn does that sting. 

Wtf that is so harsh, I’m so sorry that happened to you. 

Also. I unofficially received an offer from a PI at Stanford, have arranged a visit for Feb 28, and have yet to receive any official or portal letter of any kind. I really think it is still too early for Stanford. I can let you know if/when I get a more formal letter!

@Camillalxy yeah... I’m bummed about caltech too... I suppose you never know though! It’s not over until you’re officially rejected!!

On 1/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, Camillalxy said:

Undergrad Institution: Georgia Institute of Technology
Major(s): Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Minor(s): German
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.82 (3.79 when applied to programs with earlier ddls)
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: International female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168
V: 162
W: 4.5

Research Experience: No publications :)

-1 semester of research in geomorphology lab 

-1 year of research in biogeochemical modelling (poster presentation in GT Spring Symposium & senior thesis)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

-PURA research award

-GaTech chapter of SGE initiating member

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-1 year of TA

-Exec member of an outdoor recreation&environmental services club on campus

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Research Option (a designation showing you've gone deep in research)

Special Bonus Points: Contacted POI in each program I applied to and had informal interviews with more than half of them.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Graduating in three years?

Applying to Where:

Georgia Tech - EAS - ACCEPTED

University of Chicago - Geophysical Sciences - ACCEPTED 

Stanford University - Geological Sciences

MIT - EAPS

CalTech - Geobiology

UC Berkeley - EPS

Cornell University - EAS

University of Michigan - EES

Quote me if you've heard anything back from the last six programs ?

Just got my informal acceptance from Berkeley EPS. Best of luck and congrats on your acceptances so far!

6 hours ago, rockclimate said:

Just got my informal acceptance from Berkeley EPS. Best of luck and congrats on your acceptances so far!

Congrats!!! Are you invited to visit weekends? If so do you mind letting me know what dates?

11 hours ago, rocksandstuff said:

Wtf that is so harsh, I’m so sorry that happened to you. 

Also. I unofficially received an offer from a PI at Stanford, have arranged a visit for Feb 28, and have yet to receive any official or portal letter of any kind. I really think it is still too early for Stanford. I can let you know if/when I get a more formal letter!

@Camillalxy yeah... I’m bummed about caltech too... I suppose you never know though! It’s not over until you’re officially rejected!!

where else did you apply @rocksandstuff? you never posted a profile

18 hours ago, cratergator said:

This is really hard to hear, but I think the silver lining is that you should be glad the POI didn't take you on. As someone transferring institutions because of a bad advisor fit and no other lab to switch into, I wish I had heeded warnings more prior to coming here so I wouldn't have lost 3 years and some confidence. You'll end up in a place that's a great fit, where someone cares about you, meshes well with you, and will work with you for whatever is your goal at the end of the PhD. Don't be afraid to have a frank discussion to this end with prospective advisors; it can make all the difference. And if you haven't realized already, those aforementioned things should probably be most of what makes your decision for wherever you decide to enroll. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, Camillalxy said:

Congrats!!! Are you invited to visit weekends? If so do you mind letting me know what dates?

I am, but I believe it's more like we're scheduling a time for me to visit. There aren't specific accepted students weekends I believe (my POI suggested I come Monday for the isotope geochem seminar). 

PS I'm also waiting on UMich! Haven't heard nada from them 

18 hours ago, cratergator said:

I got an offer to visit from this school, then my POI grilled me on my personality last week, and got my visit rescinded based off (and im paraphrasing since I deleted that email) "depsite an excellent background, you werent excited enough and fit is incredibly important". 

Sounds like you dodged a major bullet.  This is 4+ years of your life, anybody trying to pressure you into jumping into something at the drop of a hat is sketchy to me. 

To me this is comparable to a hustler saying he's got the 'opportunity of a lifetime' for you, but if you show a bit of hesitation he then tries to raise the price or make the 'opportunity' seem like it's more out of reach than it was 5 seconds before. 

22 minutes ago, rockclimate said:

I am, but I believe it's more like we're scheduling a time for me to visit. There aren't specific accepted students weekends I believe (my POI suggested I come Monday for the isotope geochem seminar). 

PS I'm also waiting on UMich! Haven't heard nada from them 

Good to know, thanks for the info! Fingers crossed for us wrt UMich?

13 minutes ago, rocksandstuff said:

I actually did post my profile, I think it’s on the second page of this thread. Caltech, Brown, Stanford, Rice, Stony Brook! ?

I'm willing to bet jimmay meant rockclimate. 

There certainly are a lot of rock* users in this thread. (I just noticed the potential for that to be a pun as I typed it out).

Edited by magnetite

4 hours ago, Camillalxy said:

Good to know, thanks for the info! Fingers crossed for us wrt UMich?

Hey! I heard back from UMich EES a while ago; the admissions committee has already greenlit a group of applicants for official admits. From that point onwards it seems to be up to individual PIs to select the students they want to admit. A lot of them (although not the one I’ve been in touch with) will only make formal offers after they’ve invited students to visit, so maybe there’s an email or phone call on its way to you in the near future! A friend of mine who also applied to this program is visiting in mid-March and will only know if she’s been accepted/rejected after that.