ETH ESOP 2019

On 2/18/2019 at 2:21 PM, llwd said:

Thank you!

Here is the email I received:

Dear candidate

The internal committee of the department of Mechanical and Process Engineering is going to evaluate some candidates for the nomination for the Excellence Scholarship.

There is the possibility that you will be among these candidates.

The possible interview will take place on Monday 25, February 2019 between 13.30 – 16.30 o’clock (Zurich time) via skype.

If you are interested, please reserve this date and send us your skype email address asap.

More information about the schedule and the interview will follow.

Best regards

Dr. Maddalena Velonà

I targeted my application to professors in the Automatic Controls Lab working on distributed systems, though I didn't mention a professor's name in particular in my ESOP application (I did in the RSC application). 

So I guess I'll be waiting on my laptop at an absurd time of the day (East Coast North America) on the 25th.

Hi, how did your interview go? Did you get a confirmation?

On 3/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, StellarWind said:

I feel exactly the same. Even if ESOP belongs to person who had an interview, I believe that there will be a couple of MSP with assistantship. Hovewer, my hopes for any type of funding are very-very little. 

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings. Now I have nearly totally lost hope and finally decided to attend another M.Sc. program at Perimeter Institute. I have no way because I can not afford the thrilling expense for studying at ETHZ for 2~3 years.

But still, I plan to contact some professors at ETHZ and to try to apply for a Ph.D. next year after graduation from PI. I really wish to explore my research career in Europe and I think ETHZ will be the best choice for me to start with.

Hey guys. I applied for Robotics System and Control Master Program and I took the interview for ESOP which only took 11 minutes(so actual core talks were about 9 minutes). 

I am actually wondering how good students applying to ETH Zurich are because I might not be able to enter this year due to my military service and am thinking of taking risk of having to reapply later years. 

If I got an offer for an ESOP interview, then does that imply that I was one of the top applicants or at least the school thought I am good enough? 

Edited by knsjoon

6 hours ago, knsjoon said:

Hey guys. I applied for Robotics System and Control Master Program and I took the interview for ESOP which only took 11 minutes(so actual core talks were about 9 minutes). 

I am actually wondering how good students applying to ETH Zurich are because I might not be able to enter this year due to my military service and am thinking of taking risk of having to reapply later years. 

If I got an offer for an ESOP interview, then does that imply that I was one of the top applicants or at least the school thought I am good enough? 

Don't you consider deferring the offer? I do not think the ETH will want to waste time and energy re-checking the ones that have already been recognized, accepted and approved during the last year... Also, after all, your situation is somewhat compulsory, and they should be able to offer reasonable help on this.

rejected for ESOP/MSP.

ETH is really my top choice but the living expenses bring me big financial difficulty. Do you guys have any suggestions on TA/RA opportunities? (especially for english speakers)

3 hours ago, capitalist said:

Welp, I haven't heard anything today yet... 

I hope I get an email soon because the tension is getting a hold of me

Which program did you apply to? I haven’t heard anything today either and I’m in Environmental Science.