How to get Speech Language Pathology work experience?

Hello, 

I am currently in the process of marketing myself as a candidate for an SLP master's program. I know that having relevant experience in the field is a really big selling point. I currently just work at a minimum wage waitress/server position to pay the bills, but am planning to quit/cut down on hours so I can pursue a job in the field.   

I just wanted to ask how everyone else was able to obtain a position/gain experience without a license. I'm researching Speech Therapy clinics and rehab clinics in my area and am planning to email  them and reach out to ask if they have any positions available. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, what would I call the position?

Shadowing position? Mentorship position? Assisting position? Internship?

I just don't know how to phrase it in my emails (It would also be nice if I can get paid...)

Any advice on getting a position or alternative places to look and apply would be helpful! Thank you ?

Edited by MrsRobbxDrogo
spelling

So my position wasn't a pay position but for a school year I was a preschool assistant volunteer at an integrated preschool. I went once a week and helped assist the preschool teacher and interact with the children. I also got the opportunity to sit in on speech therapy sessions with the slp and also witness what it was like working with an interdisciplinary team. It was a great experience and confirmed my interest in the field! So as plan b I would recommend volunteer experience!

I am in the same boat as you except as a stay at home I can't afford to work part time in the field. I would suggest working the ABA field because it will give you experience that might be helpful in the SLP field. 

I volunteer at the children's hospital right now, and I know a lot of my fellow peers are either working at a preschool/daycare or doing ABA! I'm also a literacy tutor as well as a volunteer at Gigi's Playhouse (special needs achievement center focusing on down syndrome mostly) they're always looking for volunteers and there are a few locations in every state, you mostly work with children. But if you want a paid position I recommend getting into ABA! Just remember volunteering is also good so maybe you can do ABA and volunteering on the side. Most ABA places train you upon employment.

Hi! How long are you planning on working in the field before applying for your masters? If you're interested in any research positions, you can always ask clinics and hospitals in your area to see if they have any open positions for paid research assistants (hopefully you'll find a department that's well funded either internally or through some great grants). You can also see if there are any universities in your area with speech departments to see if you can help out in an in-house clinic (or, again, in research) in any capacity, whether that's a more receptionist/admin position, or an actual SLPA. I'm working full-time in the clinical research capacity now, but I have been able to work in the clinical setting too - let me know if you have any questions!

Hi! I would highly suggest trying to find a rehab aide job or observe with all 3 disciplines (speech, OT, PT), it’ll look great on applications! I’ve worked in a pediatric hospital outpatient therapy clinic and I’ve gotten tons of speech experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

I work in a nonpublic school, special education day class with students diagnosed with autism and other disabilities. I'm working as an instructional aide. I've gained so much insight and knowledge working with my kiddos and I feel confident of the experience I'm obtaining :)