CSDCAS GPA

Has anyone had any issues with their CSDCAS GPA being calculated differently than what's on your 'official' transcript? Mine is dramatically different, for a specific reason.

I started as a jazz performance major ?, did horrendously for a year, and then dropped out. After a 9-year hiatus I returned to school in my CSD program, and was offered to enact the policy of "Academic Forgiveness" which reset my GPA. This was awesome, as I started with a clean slate and didn't have to dig myself out of a GPA hole. All sunshine and flowers.

After submitting my grad apps about a month ago, I realized that CSDCAS had calculated my GPA as 2.66. They included any/all attempts at courses, did not take the policy into account, and when I e-mailed them I got this response: "The reason that the GPAs are not showing similar is because we do have to include all grades in the GPA calculations that we do, so any attempt at a course will go into it. We do apologize for the inconvenience on this, the schools that you are applying to will have access to the official transcripts so if they would rather review those they absolutely can." This is fine, I suppose, but now I'm worried that my applications will be discarded as soon as they see my CSDCAS GPA. My 'official' GPA is 3.7 (a stark difference) and I'm worried that programs will breeze over this issue. Yes, they say they "look at the whole applicant" and "GPA isn't everything" but I have a feeling GPA is one of the first things they look at, and if that information is not correct then my chances of acceptance may be severely limited.

I've reached out to the director of every program I've applied to, and most have been supportive and understanding, while others have not responded. I realize that this is a strange situation, but has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

I've not been in this situation, but you did the right thing by contacting the programs you applied to. I'd reach out again to those who have not responded, perhaps to the graduate coordinators rather than the directors. I have a feeling that each program has their own policy so the only thing you can do is ask them and hope for the best.

9 hours ago, babysanta said:

Has anyone had any issues with their CSDCAS GPA being calculated differently than what's on your 'official' transcript? Mine is dramatically different, for a specific reason.

I started as a jazz performance major ?, did horrendously for a year, and then dropped out. After a 9-year hiatus I returned to school in my CSD program, and was offered to enact the policy of "Academic Forgiveness" which reset my GPA. This was awesome, as I started with a clean slate and didn't have to dig myself out of a GPA hole. All sunshine and flowers.

After submitting my grad apps about a month ago, I realized that CSDCAS had calculated my GPA as 2.66. They included any/all attempts at courses, did not take the policy into account, and when I e-mailed them I got this response: "The reason that the GPAs are not showing similar is because we do have to include all grades in the GPA calculations that we do, so any attempt at a course will go into it. We do apologize for the inconvenience on this, the schools that you are applying to will have access to the official transcripts so if they would rather review those they absolutely can." This is fine, I suppose, but now I'm worried that my applications will be discarded as soon as they see my CSDCAS GPA. My 'official' GPA is 3.7 (a stark difference) and I'm worried that programs will breeze over this issue. Yes, they say they "look at the whole applicant" and "GPA isn't everything" but I have a feeling GPA is one of the first things they look at, and if that information is not correct then my chances of acceptance may be severely limited.

I've reached out to the director of every program I've applied to, and most have been supportive and understanding, while others have not responded. I realize that this is a strange situation, but has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

I am currently experiencing the same thing (only my official GPA is slightly less, 3.5). To broaden my chances of being accepted I first contacted CSDCAS and had them change the subject for several courses. For example, I saw they marked my Public Speaking course as an SLP course. However, once completed my COMD GPA is still 2.9. Unfortunately, I majored in American Sign Langauge over 10 years ago and failed numerous classes. CSDCAS calculated ASL and COMD classes together, so I am screwed with any school that uses CSDCAS. However, I also applied to 4 schools that do not use CSDCAS and out of those 4, I am interviewing at 2. 

I'm dealing with exactly the same problem unfortunately. I hope you end up getting in somewhere, I truly think that it is unfair that csdcas doesn't care about retaken classes when calculating gpa. In my opinion retaking a class shows commitment and resiliency.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, SLP_2019 said:

Where do you see your CSDCAS calculated GPA? I have no idea where to find it

Click on the “Status” menu and download an application PDF for any school you’ve submitted for. All of your CSDCAS generate GPAs should be right after your transcript. Let me know if you can’t find it. :)