2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

2 hours ago, ProBonoJunkie said:

I got accepted to York MPPAL program as well as Guelph and Laurier MBA programs. Still trying to decide which is the best route for senior community engagement/social service/government type roles with versatility for other avenues in the future...

I would think the MPPAL would be best for the community engagement/social service/government, while MBA would be for anything else...

So I am in a rut and I hope some people can give me guidance on this. I know this is a common problem grad school applicants have. So basically I applied to the MPA at Ryerson as well as the Immigration and Settlement Studies also at Ryerson. Now my first choice of program is definitely the MPA, I pretty much applied to the other program as a back up. I got accepted into the Immigration program today and I have not heard back anything from the MPA program. I definitely do not want to say no to my back up program and also not get into the MPA.. however I would drop the Immigration program in a heartbeat if i got into the MPA program. 

My question is.. what should I do if I accept the Immigration program but end up getting into the MPA after the Immigration program's acceptance deadline? Does anyone know  how the process works for suddenly saying you don't want your slot in the program anymore?

I have not even received a waitlist notification from Ryerson and it is almost the end of April now so I'm really quite confused on what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Hello Everyone ,

I applied to UofT's MPP program and Waterloo's MPS program. My acceptance from UofT came in early March, while the Waterloo one just came yesterday! I was initially thinking about going to Waterloo because of cheaper tuition, but as the acceptance came so late, I began to think more strongly for UofT. I don't know anyone in Waterloo while many of my close friends are in UofT. Plus, I am a Torontonian! So, was wondering what advice current program attendants (from both MPP and MPS) would give to me? I want to make my decision ASAP so that I can leave the seat for other applicants. 

About me: I am interested in public health as well as foreign services. Factors that are important to me include job prospects after graduation, quality of coop/internship experience, and general atmosphere of the program (is it too competitive/stressful or a program with a sense of camaraderie?). Also, how is the work graded (I heard there is no cumulative exam in both program?!?)

For Uoft: how are the classes with 80 people? Does it make it difficult to connect with the instructors and other people (I am a semi-introvert!)?

Any general advice you guys may have will be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone! 

On 4/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, nwaj said:

Hello Everyone ,

I applied to UofT's MPP program and Waterloo's MPS program. My acceptance from UofT came in early March, while the Waterloo one just came yesterday! I was initially thinking about going to Waterloo because of cheaper tuition, but as the acceptance came so late, I began to think more strongly for UofT. I don't know anyone in Waterloo while many of my close friends are in UofT. Plus, I am a Torontonian! So, was wondering what advice current program attendants (from both MPP and MPS) would give to me? I want to make my decision ASAP so that I can leave the seat for other applicants. 

About me: I am interested in public health as well as foreign services. Factors that are important to me include job prospects after graduation, quality of coop/internship experience, and general atmosphere of the program (is it too competitive/stressful or a program with a sense of camaraderie?). Also, how is the work graded (I heard there is no cumulative exam in both program?!?)

For Uoft: how are the classes with 80 people? Does it make it difficult to connect with the instructors and other people (I am a semi-introvert!)?

Any general advice you guys may have will be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone! 

I'm not a Waterloo MPS student but I currently sit in one of their classes as my undergrad professor was kind enough to let me do so.

I can 100% vouch for the great success of the MPS program. The co-op there is a huge hit and the final hire rates for Co-op are like 98%. Anecdotally, in only the first round of applications, around 36-40 of the 43 students found a job, mostly at the federal level. A bunch of students went during the reading break to Ottawa for a "Policy Jam" networking session with some government executives. Some of the students literally got Co-op job offers on the spot during that time. In addition, the final term can be done remotely as it's a major team project - most students choose to do a casual or FSWEP for this term. So in reality, the Coop earnings are actually $30,000 or even more (and, honestly, that $20000 figure has been there since 2011. Based on current rates of pay for students, it's closer to $25000/37500 now). After this, they would be eligible to be bridged into a full-time position.

Not only that, but the atmosphere of the program is great. The professors (I know around half of them now) are very helpful and the coursework is focused on getting a job. The cohort is super friendly to people - back in 2017, students in that cohort invited me to the MPS bar night even though I was still an undergrad. This year, they're very welcoming of me being a guest in their class and seem to bond well together. They also have their own exclusive classrooms, lounge, office, and study space on campus.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, mppatoronto said:

So I am in a rut and I hope some people can give me guidance on this. I know this is a common problem grad school applicants have. So basically I applied to the MPA at Ryerson as well as the Immigration and Settlement Studies also at Ryerson. Now my first choice of program is definitely the MPA, I pretty much applied to the other program as a back up. I got accepted into the Immigration program today and I have not heard back anything from the MPA program. I definitely do not want to say no to my back up program and also not get into the MPA.. however I would drop the Immigration program in a heartbeat if i got into the MPA program. 

My question is.. what should I do if I accept the Immigration program but end up getting into the MPA after the Immigration program's acceptance deadline? Does anyone know  how the process works for suddenly saying you don't want your slot in the program anymore?

I have not even received a waitlist notification from Ryerson and it is almost the end of April now so I'm really quite confused on what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I understand that Ryerson offers their acceptances on a rolling basis, which means, the later you apply, the later you will hear back from them. Did you apply after the early December deadline?

Has anybody received rejection letters from UBC's MPPGA? It's the end of April and I haven't heard anything from them regarding my application, and they haven't responded to my email about the status of my application...I would like to get some closure from my application, haha.

hey y'all

update for you.

i got into McGill. I was waitlisted, if you all recall. but then I got the word. I declined. But then they offered me BIG MONEY to go there, in excess of $7,500.

I declined again 'cuz I accepted elsewhere.

for anyone waiting on McGill, it looks like they are still looking to fill spots from the waitlist. they said they would accept around 30 out of "in excess" of 195 applications for the first year class.

GOOD LUCK ALL

On 4/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, CoconutAvocado said:

Thank you and same to you. I applied in December and January 14 was actually when I got an email notification that my application was being sent to the admissions committee. I haven't gotten any other email since and no update on my application portal on RAMMS either. I contacted them in early February when some people were getting admitted to ask when I would receive a notification of my admission outcome and the person I spoke to said she didn't know when I would, that admissions were on a rolling basis. Long story short, I'm still waiting. I'm trying to be optimistic but I dunno what to think now. ?

I actually got the email notification that my application has been sent to the admission committee on December 7 but i am yet to receive admission. I am an International Student btw

On 4/29/2019 at 3:21 AM, DonBlack001 said:

I actually got the email notification that my application has been sent to the admission committee on December 7 but i am yet to receive admission. I am an International Student btw

Yikes. Maybe you can contact them, though I did that months ago and it made no difference.

16 hours ago, mppa said:

Lol I am so appalled at how shitty Ryerson is with sending acceptances/rejections. At this point I'm over it & couldn't care less whether I get rejected or not. I feel like emailing and telling them they're pretty ANNNOYINGGGG

I called and e-mailed them back in early  February, so they're aware that In waiting. It's now May and I'm starting waiting. Idk if they've all gone on vacation or what. I no longer check that email like I used to and when I do it's for other things, so the excitement for me has kinda worn off.

7 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

I called and e-mailed them back in early  February, so they're aware that In waiting. It's now May and I'm starting waiting. Idk if they've all gone on vacation or what. I no longer check that email like I used to and when I do it's for other things, so the excitement for me has kinda worn off.

Typos: "...that I'm waiting". "...and I'm still waiting".

On 5/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, mppa said:

Lol I am so appalled at how shitty Ryerson is with sending acceptances/rejections. At this point I'm over it & couldn't care less whether I get rejected or not. I feel like emailing and telling them they're pretty ANNNOYINGGGG

Completely agree! Whats worse is that applications for Ryerson were due the earliest! At the Open House they told us that Ryerson usually sends out acceptances the earliest but clearly that isn't the case. I called in March and got the same response as others that they don't know when acceptances would be going out and it could be until Summer that we hear back. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:08 PM, maple_panda said:

Has anybody received rejection letters from UBC's MPPGA? It's the end of April and I haven't heard anything from them regarding my application, and they haven't responded to my email about the status of my application...I would like to get some closure from my application, haha.

Got my rejection email today from UBC, feels good to have some closure! Can't believe it took them nearly three and a half months to make a decision with my application...

On 5/5/2019 at 4:51 AM, CoconutAvocado said:

Yikes. Maybe you can contact them, though I did that months ago and it made no difference.

I did contact them via email a couple of times and i kept getting the same response to wait, that the department gives out admission at its own pace. I'm like WTF, it's been six months since i applied. This is worse than getting rejected; having to wait in hopeless hope.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:03 AM, lak.dan said:

Completely agree! Whats worse is that applications for Ryerson were due the earliest! At the Open House they told us that Ryerson usually sends out acceptances the earliest but clearly that isn't the case. I called in March and got the same response as others that they don't know when acceptances would be going out and it could be until Summer that we hear back. 

Honestly!! That's why it's sooo irritating because it was literally due back in December and when you call them it's useless. If this is how useless they are with admissions I don't even want to imagine how shitty they must be once you're actually admitted. So over it lol & they're not Harvard so I really don't understand the length in acceptances/rejections 

Their late acceptances/rejections to those of us who are still waiting to hear from them kinda defeats the purpose of their early application deadline in December. Idk why their applications are due in December when we're still waiting 5 months later. Their early deadline only gives new applicants the false sense that admission decisions would likewise be early (at least this was what I thought when I was applying), but that's clearly not the case. It seems most of us who are still waiting have contacted them at some point in the past few months to inquire about our admission decision and the ongoing wait makes me think they really don't care. It's not the way to treat applicants.

Edited by CoconutAvocado