2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

1 minute ago, StefonDiggs14 said:

Most likely ya!! I am just doing some reading up on the pros/cons of UofT vs Waterloo's MPS (hoping to get in there). But I am like 99% sure I will! SO excited :)

Are you?

still waiting for the decision from Oxford. Probably Im gonna accept this! BTW, i'm also an undergrad at UofT : )

6 hours ago, StefonDiggs14 said:

That's awesome!! Mind sharing your stats?

Yeah no problem! And I don't think my grades/education were anything remarkable: L2 GPA was 3.37, Sociology undergrad, and I had a post-grad certificate in research methods & analysis from an Ontario college. Although I did intern abroad in Finland, interned as a Research Assistant at a Law school, held a student rep and a VP position, and did quite a bit of volunteer work around campus. No government experience however. 

I saw some of your posts, congrats on getting into Munk! that's a huge achievement! 

If you can get into there I'm sure you can get into Waterloo. Best of luck!

So glad I found this thread because I was wondering where everyone got accepted to. 

I applied to UW MPS, Carleton MPPA and UofT MPP. I got accepted to UofT today with $3k in funding.

anxiously waiting for the remaining two schools. 

Congrats to everyone and their acceptances :) 

16 hours ago, Steven44 said:

Yeah no problem! And I don't think my grades/education were anything remarkable: L2 GPA was 3.37, Sociology undergrad, and I had a post-grad certificate in research methods & analysis from an Ontario college. Although I did intern abroad in Finland, interned as a Research Assistant at a Law school, held a student rep and a VP position, and did quite a bit of volunteer work around campus. No government experience however. 

I saw some of your posts, congrats on getting into Munk! that's a huge achievement! 

If you can get into there I'm sure you can get into Waterloo. Best of luck!

Thanks so much!! Those are really strong stats/EC's. Good job!

On 3/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, saint77 said:

Any takes on deciding between UofT and Queen's? UofT appears to be more prestigious due to its global recognition whereas Queen's is more established in Canada having an expansive alumni network. From what I've gathered hiring managers do not care about prestige and are more focused on work experience over the academic rigor of a program. As far as I know, transcripts are not requested during job competitions making grades irrelevant. However, UofT's prestige seems to open doors to more international placements along with guaranteed internships. Is Queen's MPA more risky in the sense that an internship isn't guaranteed and everyone competes for one or does its alumni network make that a non-issue? I guess it would be silly to assume that just because one was from Queen's MPA that they would be chosen over a UofT MPP graduate. The additional year at UofT also lends itself to securing more internships in 1st year and the summer after 2nd year. When competing for job competitions it would seem that cumulating these experiences would be beneficial as most candidates will only have relevant public policy work experience from the opportunities provided to them in graduate school. It seems like there are anecdotal stories that back up the pros and cons of each institution, would anyone have any more insight into which of these schools outperforms one another in any aspect. I'm trying to understand if the 50k UofT tuition and additional year provide a worthwhile added value. 

If I were you, I would definitely choose Queen's as it's a more communal environment, and I've heard that the government hires grads directly out of that program. All the best!

I have been accepted to both Queen's MPA and Carleton MPPA but I am unsure which one to go with. I did not receive significant funding from Carleton or Queen's so that is not swaying my decision significantly. I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry for the last 3 years and my goal is to work for Health Canada as Policy Analyst. I know people recommend Carleton due to the co-op but I am leaning towards Queen's due to the length of the program but I am still not sure if that is the right decision. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get Federal positions from Queen's rather than Carleton? 

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Hey everyone! So excited to have found this forum. I applied to Munk, Ryerson, Queens and Carleton. 

Got the Queens offer end of Feb, pending scholarship decisions (does anyone know why others got scholarships right off the bat?)

still waiting for Munk (first choice) to decide if I’m going to accept Queens. 

My L2 GPA was 82% so I’m banking on the fact that I would get waitlisted for Munk. 

9 minutes ago, NigerianPolicyMaker said:

Hey everyone! So excited to have found this forum. I applied to Munk, Ryerson, Queens and Carleton. 

Got the Queens offer end of Feb, pending scholarship decisions (does anyone know why others got scholarships right off the bat?)

still waiting for Munk (first choice) to decide if I’m going to accept Queens. 

My L2 GPA was 82% so I’m banking on the fact that I would get waitlisted for Munk. 

I was offered funding from Queens and have a 91.5% L2, GPA might have been the difference. Your pending scholarship is likely a result of Queens waiting on other people to accept or decline their funding and/or offer of admission.

16 hours ago, Mayhem said:

I have been accepted to both Queen's MPA and Carleton MPPA but I am unsure which one to go with. I did not receive significant funding from Carleton or Queen's so that is not swaying my decision significantly. I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry for the last 3 years and my goal is to work for Health Canada as Policy Analyst. I know people recommend Carleton due to the co-op but I am leaning towards Queen's due to the length of the program but I am still not sure if that is the right decision. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get Federal positions from Queen's rather than Carleton? 

I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

For what its worth, there is a Health Canada building in Kingston down the road from Queens. More than likely they hire out of the MPA program when needed.

19 hours ago, BTF said:

For what its worth, there is a Health Canada building in Kingston down the road from Queens. More than likely they hire out of the MPA program when needed.

On this end, a contact I know told me that units in Ottawa hire Queen's MPA grads directly out of the program. 

5 hours ago, bloomeighty said:

On this end, a contact I know told me that units in Ottawa hire Queen's MPA grads directly out of the program. 

Was told by Queens that the majority of coops are in Ottawa anyway 

On 3/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, mpa2019 said:

My account says the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's an acceptance :) 

Hey! I'm a second-year student in the Munk MPP program (last semester!). Congratulations to you and DiplomatiCaro! 

I wish all those waiting to hear back, the best!

Edited by YouniK

On 3/5/2019 at 11:53 AM, elicit said:

Received the informal offer of admission for Queens this morning.  My Munk Acorn status has also changed to "Invited" but I haven't heard anything from them - hoping it's indicative of an offer of admission.

Congratulations! It's really exciting - I still remember the feeling when I received my acceptance March 2017!

Edited by YouniK

On 3/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, YouniK said:

Hey! I'm a second-year student in the Munk MPP program (last semester!). Congratulations to you and DiplomatiCaro! 

I wish all those waiting to hear back, the best!

Hey!

How do you feel about the MPP program? Any advice to a future MPP'er?