2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

On 3/28/2019 at 9:37 AM, Steven44 said:

just got an acceptance from Ryerson today, super surprised because of my low gpa. Declining in favor of Waterloo, gl to anybody else who applied! 

congrats for your acceptance. what was your GPA ? I have also applied for MSc biomedical-physics at Ryerson univ. 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, torontonian2019 said:

I am having some doubts on whether I should do U of T MPP or Ryerson MPPA. Can someone help give me the pros and cons for each. Thanks!!

Tuition, placement rate and where they place, courses, funding opportunities, length of program, etc.

Edited by BTF

On 4/3/2019 at 9:28 PM, torontonian2019 said:

I am having some doubts on whether I should do U of T MPP or Ryerson MPPA. Can someone help give me the pros and cons for each. Thanks!!

UofT's MPP program being 2 years is a con itself, no guarantee of paid internship or internship at all, it's soo expensive as well and the courses seem a lot more boring & heavily quantitive focused. 

49 minutes ago, HopefulMpp said:

Had a chat with UofT's admissions department last week. Apparently they're meeting this week to discuss round two of acceptances.

I declined my offer, hopefully they send out round two soon.

Out of curiosity, why do people want to go to UofT?

8 hours ago, BTF said:

I declined my offer, hopefully they send out round two soon.

Out of curiosity, why do people want to go to UofT?

Honestly, the prestige. I can personally attest to this, anyways. It is what led me here as an undergrad, and it is what compelled me to accept munk. I gotta say, it is not worth the stress sometimes though. 

8 hours ago, StefonDiggs14 said:

Honestly, the prestige. I can personally attest to this, anyways. It is what led me here as an undergrad, and it is what compelled me to accept munk. I gotta say, it is not worth the stress sometimes though. 

Yeah, but what does that “prestige” actually translate too? For 3x the tuition and abysmal funding opportunities there has to be something tangible at the end that makes it all worth it. 

On 4/12/2019 at 9:09 AM, BTF said:

Yeah, but what does that “prestige” actually translate too? For 3x the tuition and abysmal funding opportunities there has to be something tangible at the end that makes it all worth it. 

From what I have heard, it leads to higher initial pay. Also, Munk has a lot of ties with the private sector. More opportunity.

2 hours ago, StefonDiggs14 said:

From what I have heard, it leads to higher initial pay. Also, Munk has a lot of ties with the private sector. More opportunity.

The name does sell, but it's also about your networking and strengths in developing relationships. You need to showcase what you have to bring to the job and the value you'd add, with the name of the Munk School to back you up.

Hi all! I'm super excited to hear that second round admissions for munk will be coming out soon as I was put on the waitlist. I'm also pretty happy to hear that some are declining their munk offers to go somewhere else. More opportunity for me to get in to my first choice whilst others pick their first choices! Fingers are very crossed and best of luck to anyone else that is waiting on second round :)

On 4/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, YouniK said:

The name does sell, but it's also about your networking and strengths in developing relationships. You need to showcase what you have to bring to the job and the value you'd add, with the name of the Munk School to back you up.

Oh, completely agreed. I think that is where a lot of people go wrong. Degrees only get you so far. It is what YOU make of it. Good evaluation there :)

Still no word from Ryerson or UofT. Ryerson is my first choice and where I want to go. This long wait is depressing as it is but it would be even more depressing, if, after all these wait, I end up getting a rejection letter.

Several pple on this forum hv been  accepted. Does anyone know why  others, like me, are still waiting to hear from them? Is this silence leaning more towards rejection? Has anyone received a rejection letter from them? I'm sorry if you have.

I just need closure at this point so I can stop checking my email, lol.

Edited by CoconutAvocado

2 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Still no word from Ryerson or UofT. Ryerson is my first choice and where I want to go. This long wait is depressing as it is but it would be even more depressing, if, after all these wait, I end up getting a rejection letter.

Several pple on this forum hv been  accepted. Does anyone know why  others, like me, are still waiting to hear from them? Is this silence leaning more towards rejection? Has anyone received a rejection letter from them? I'm sorry if you have.

I just need closure at this point so I can stop checking my email, lol.

I am in the exact same spot as you. I applied to Ryerson on January 14th (I know I applied late) and I have not heard anything back since that program review email citing that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee. My feelings are identical to yours. However, I did see that in this forum last Friday someone got into Ryerson so maybe they are on their second round of admissions like UofT? All the best to everyone who is still waiting to hear back.

"May the odds be ever in your favour."

10 hours ago, mppatoronto said:

I am in the exact same spot as you. I applied to Ryerson on January 14th (I know I applied late) and I have not heard anything back since that program review email citing that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee. My feelings are identical to yours. However, I did see that in this forum last Friday someone got into Ryerson so maybe they are on their second round of admissions like UofT? All the best to everyone who is still waiting to hear back.

"May the odds be ever in your favour."

Thank you and same to you. I applied in December and January 14 was actually when I got an email notification that my application was being sent to the admissions committee. I haven't gotten any other email since and no update on my application portal on RAMMS either. I contacted them in early February when some people were getting admitted to ask when I would receive a notification of my admission outcome and the person I spoke to said she didn't know when I would, that admissions were on a rolling basis. Long story short, I'm still waiting. I'm trying to be optimistic but I dunno what to think now. ?

4 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Thank you and same to you. I applied in December and January 14 was actually when I got an email notification that my application was being sent to the admissions committee. I haven't gotten any other email since and no update on my application portal on RAMMS either. I contacted them in early February when some people were getting admitted to ask when I would receive a notification of my admission outcome and the person I spoke to said she didn't know when I would, that admissions were on a rolling basis. Long story short, I'm still waiting. I'm trying to be optimistic but I dunno what to think now. ?

Ryerson is definitely slower with their admissions process than other universities. It sounds like the later you apply, the later you will find out, so maybe you just need to wait a little longer! The program isn't full yet so there's still a shot.

1 hour ago, bloomeighty said:

Ryerson is definitely slower with their admissions process than other universities. It sounds like the later you apply, the later you will find out, so maybe you just need to wait a little longer! The program isn't full yet so there's still a shot.

Yes, I'll just keep waiting. I mean, I don't really have a choice, lol. Congrats on your acceptance, btw.

17 hours ago, CoconutAvocado said:

Yes, I'll just keep waiting. I mean, I don't really have a choice, lol. Congrats on your acceptance, btw.

Yeah true lol. Thanks, I'm not totally sure if I'm going to do it after all so maybe that will free up a spot for you guys. 

22 hours ago, student_2019 said:

Did anyone who accepted U of T receive confirmation that their signed "confirmation/deposit" form was received? 

Also is there a fb group??

I didn't get an email, but the $500 deposit was acknowledged on my ACORN.