2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

On 4/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, ProBonoJunkie said:

I got accepted to York MPPAL program as well as Guelph and Laurier MBA programs. Still trying to decide which is the best route for senior community engagement/social service/government type roles with versatility for other avenues in the future...

This depends on what other avenues you're referring to. The MPPAL focuses on social, human resource/rights, etc. type of work mostly in government organizations. If you're looking for versatility such as in the private sector, it would be good to take a program with quantitative rigour and/or financial courses. I really like the MPPAL program though, so I took their capstone course in the summer! All the best in your decision and future endeavours. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

I'm new here and so sorry if this isn't the right place for my post. I'm going into the last year of my undergrad at Concordia U, my major is in public affairs and public policy. I'm going to be applying to grad schools across Canada next year once I've graduated. 

I'm looking for some advice about where to apply given my stats. 

My current CGPA is a 3.16, I was sick for a long time and it clearly had a negative impact on my grades. I will be retaking a few classes next summer to compensate. My 3rd-year Annual GPA was a 3.91 and I made Dean's list, I'm pretty positive I can maintain high grades for my last year as I'm no longer ill and I'm predicting that I will finish somewhere around a 3.3-3.4 (especially if I successfully retake some of the classes I performed poorly in). I'm thinking that at the very least my last 2 years will look pretty good GPA-wise. 

I'm involved in student government, I have planned to join the debate team and I have been working part-time throughout my undergrad to support myself. I will also be able to add some volunteer experience to my application. I have formed strong relationships with profs over the last year and have been asked to TA a class I performed well in in the fall, I think my references will be strong and I will continue to form relationships in my last two and half semesters. 

Which schools do I have a shot at? What can I do in order to become a stronger candidate before I graduate? 

Thank you for your responses! Sorry again if this isn't the place. I hope you all get into the schools you applied to !!

On 6/15/2019 at 11:41 AM, krn72 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm new here and so sorry if this isn't the right place for my post. I'm going into the last year of my undergrad at Concordia U, my major is in public affairs and public policy. I'm going to be applying to grad schools across Canada next year once I've graduated. 

I'm looking for some advice about where to apply given my stats. 

My current CGPA is a 3.16, I was sick for a long time and it clearly had a negative impact on my grades. I will be retaking a few classes next summer to compensate. My 3rd-year Annual GPA was a 3.91 and I made Dean's list, I'm pretty positive I can maintain high grades for my last year as I'm no longer ill and I'm predicting that I will finish somewhere around a 3.3-3.4 (especially if I successfully retake some of the classes I performed poorly in). I'm thinking that at the very least my last 2 years will look pretty good GPA-wise. 

I'm involved in student government, I have planned to join the debate team and I have been working part-time throughout my undergrad to support myself. I will also be able to add some volunteer experience to my application. I have formed strong relationships with profs over the last year and have been asked to TA a class I performed well in in the fall, I think my references will be strong and I will continue to form relationships in my last two and half semesters. 

Which schools do I have a shot at? What can I do in order to become a stronger candidate before I graduate? 

Thank you for your responses! Sorry again if this isn't the place. I hope you all get into the schools you applied to !!

Grad schools generally only care about your last 2 years, or, more specifically, the equivalent to your last 20 one semester courses. If you do not have above an 80% average in your last 2 years you are more or less not competitive.

Moreover, your post was not clear as to which programs you are interested in. I applied to UofT MPP, Queens MPA, and Carleton MPPA.

Feel free to PM me any further questions.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:34 AM, BTF said:

Grad schools generally only care about your last 2 years, or, more specifically, the equivalent to your last 20 one semester courses. If you do not have above an 80% average in your last 2 years you are more or less not competitive.

Moreover, your post was not clear as to which programs you are interested in. I applied to UofT MPP, Queens MPA, and Carleton MPPA.

Feel free to PM me any further questions.

Thanks for responding! 

That’s good news for me, I have 8 classes to go before graduation and I think I can keep pulling off A’s. 

Im in Quebec and so my first choices would be McGill (MMP) and Concordia (MPPPA). I will likely also apply to U of T and Ryerson because I have family in Toronto as well so it would be an option for me. I’ve heard good things about Ryerson and U of T is probably the best school in the country (although I’ve heard that their MPP program isn’t the greatest, so idk). 

If you don’t mind sharing (feel free to PM me) what were your stats like? Which school did you end up choosing and what’s it been like so far? 

Thanks so so much for responding, much appreciated! 

Edited by krn72

2 hours ago, krn72 said:

Thanks for responding! 

That’s good news for me, I have 8 classes to go before graduation and I think I can keep pulling off A’s. 

Im in Quebec and so my first choices would be McGill (MMP) and Concordia (MPPPA). I will likely also apply to U of T and Ryerson because I have family in Toronto as well so it would be an option for me. I’ve heard good things about Ryerson and U of T is probably the best school in the country (although I’ve heard that their MPP program isn’t the greatest, so idk). 

If you don’t mind sharing (feel free to PM me) what were your stats like? Which school did you end up choosing and what’s it been like so far? 

Thanks so so much for responding, much appreciated! 

Stats that were taken into consideration for each school I applied to are below:

Year 4: 90.92% (took 12 courses)

Summer: 91.50% (took 4 courses)

Year 5: 91.00% (took 12 courses)

I was admitted to each school with funding. UofT with 3k, Queens with 5k, and Carleton with 52k. I start at Carleton in September and cannot wait!

It's also worth noting that Carleton has the cheapest tuition out of the three and has the best co-op program. Assuming you want to work in the Federal Government.

Edited by BTF

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I am from India and my Canadian PR is under process.

I have 10 years work experience - into public sector consulting across government advisory (economic and policy advisory, smart cities, financial inclusion, digital transformation) for state (provincial) and central (federal) governments, social sector consulting for international NGOs. I have also volunteered for civic advocacy organizations in high impact projects. 

I am keen to pursue a career in the public policy and administration area in Canada, for which I want to pursue a relevant program. I would like to know about programs which are targeted or have a peer group of students with substantial (relevant) work experience? I am preferably looking for 1 year programs, and would like to pursue policy analysis / enforcement, urban livability index, data driven effective governance. 

Appreciate any input from current students, alumni or peer prospects.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

hello,

i have applied for masters in public policy at university of Saskatchewan. Yesterday i have received rejection email from them.  Other members may please share whether other universities like max bell, Calgary, Ottawa etc..have started giving their decisions.

Thanks  

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone! 

I know this is for 2020, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights on whether to choose Ryerson Master of public policy and administration program or queen's master of public administration program. I am really interested in doing an internship.  Anything would be helpful! Thank you! 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, Maddy11 said:

Hi Everyone! 

I know this is for 2020, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights on whether to choose Ryerson Master of public policy and administration program or queen's master of public administration program. I am really interested in doing an internship.  Anything would be helpful! Thank you! 

If you are interested in work experience, go to Carleton. Well, for federal government experience at least.