2019 Canadian MPPA/MPP/MPA Hopefuls

On 3/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, Marmalade said:

long time lurker, first time poster.

Accepted at Queen's and Munk, and just found out I was waitlisted at McGill's Max Bell School. I was waiting to hear from them to hear what their offer was, since Queen's offered $5k in funding and Munk $3k, both entrance scholarships.

Anyone else hear from McGill and get admitted there? Very curious how that program will shake out.

You were offered $5K in funding for the Queen's MPA?

On 3/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, saint77 said:

Do you mind sharing your stats/profile? 

Majored in Sociology & minored in Public Administration. I graduated magna cum laude (don't remember my gpa on a 4 point scale since my school uses a 9 point scale). I had previous government experience (worked for the Ministry of Labour through OPS's summer program). 

Does anyone know if more acceptances to Waterloo's MPS will be going out?  It's my top choice, but I haven't heard anything from them yet and my other offers expire if I don't respond by the end of the month.  Also... would it be bad form for me to accept my offer to Munk but pull out if I get an offer from Waterloo?  I realize I'd lose the deposit...

New to this forum, and this is the second thread I'm reading and posting in (first being the "Munk, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc").

Has anybody in this thread received an offer (or sadly waitlisted/rejected) from UBC's MPPGA? In the other thread I'm in, people have been receiving offers within the past week or so.

Congrats to those who have accepted their offers and good luck to those still waiting in this admissions purgatory!

15 hours ago, maple_panda said:

New to this forum, and this is the second thread I'm reading and posting in (first being the "Munk, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc").

Has anybody in this thread received an offer (or sadly waitlisted/rejected) from UBC's MPPGA? In the other thread I'm in, people have been receiving offers within the past week or so.

Congrats to those who have accepted their offers and good luck to those still waiting in this admissions purgatory!

I received my acceptance today with funding from UBC

18 hours ago, elicit said:

Does anyone know if more acceptances to Waterloo's MPS will be going out?  It's my top choice, but I haven't heard anything from them yet and my other offers expire if I don't respond by the end of the month.  Also... would it be bad form for me to accept my offer to Munk but pull out if I get an offer from Waterloo?  I realize I'd lose the deposit...

Yeah, that would be pretty bad to do that

So I've been accepted to both uOttawa for a Master's in Public Administration as well as Carleton's School of Public Policy for an MPPA. Does anyone have any pros and cons of both schools? I have no idea where I should go b/c I didn't receive funding from either one. Any help would be appreciated :) 

2 hours ago, idkwheretogo said:

So I've been accepted to both uOttawa for a Master's in Public Administration as well as Carleton's School of Public Policy for an MPPA. Does anyone have any pros and cons of both schools? I have no idea where I should go b/c I didn't receive funding from either one. Any help would be appreciated :)

I'm currently at Carleton for my bachelor's (and have applied for my master's there, along with other schools), and I have been in Ottawa for most of my life. So, here's my take on each school's reputation points.

uOttawa: downtown campus (established mid-1800s), bilingual university (largest in the world), significantly higher global and national ranking than Carleton (primarily because of their medical and law schools and bilingual status), and second largest co-op program in Ontario (after Waterloo's).

Carleton: suburban campus (established post-WW2), anglophone university, top national ranks in international affairs, public policy + administration, political science + economy + management, and journalism.

If you only care about the program's reputation, then Carleton is for you. However, if that is not the case, uOttawa definitely has some great advantages over Carleton. Those advantages lie primarily in the school's downtown location (close to government offices and Parliament), school's bilingualism (a huge plus if you intend to work in the federal government), school's large co-op program (lots of opportunities to work), and higher global and national ranking than Carleton (#176 vs #501-600 range). However, that is not to say uOttawa's program is not well-regarded or that Carleton won't present you with good working opportunities (they also have a co-op program).

Hope my info has been helpful for you, and feel free to pm me if you have more questions. Congrats on receiving your offers and good luck to whichever school you go to!

Edited by maple_panda

On 3/20/2019 at 1:16 AM, elicit said:

Be sure to check on quest as well and not just your email, as my friend didn't get any email from them but had her offer on quest. 

Hello everyone, I have a big decision to make and am hoping for some advice/clarity. I have been admitted to UBC MPPGA and Calgary MPP among a couple others (Queen’s, Concordia). I currently attend UBC but I’m from Calgary, so this is a tough decision for me. The MPPGA is roughly $50,000 plus accommodation for 2 years, while the MPP is roughly $20,000 ($7000 scholarship) and I can live at home with my family. My question is: what would you do, and why? Grateful for feedback!

8 hours ago, rockymount said:

Hello everyone, I have a big decision to make and am hoping for some advice/clarity. I have been admitted to UBC MPPGA and Calgary MPP among a couple others (Queen’s, Concordia). I currently attend UBC but I’m from Calgary, so this is a tough decision for me. The MPPGA is roughly $50,000 plus accommodation for 2 years, while the MPP is roughly $20,000 ($7000 scholarship) and I can live at home with my family. My question is: what would you do, and why? Grateful for feedback!

I often heard from professors and professionals that it looks good on a resume to have attended different schools because it indicates your adaptability for new environments, interpersonal abilities, and other soft skills. That being said however, it would be foolish to disregard the reputation/ranking of the different programs, especially if they are vastly different.

I would choose MPP over MPPGA for the new academic environment, new potential professional connections and that it is significantly more affordable (it will certainly be lighter on your student debt if you have any). Also, if you want to work in the energy sector, I would think that Calgary would be optimal.

Edited by maple_panda

14 hours ago, maple_panda said:

I often heard from professors and professionals that it looks good on a resume to have attended different schools because it indicates your adaptability for new environments, interpersonal abilities, and other soft skills. That being said however, it would be foolish to disregard the reputation/ranking of the different programs, especially if they are vastly different.

I would choose MPP over MPPGA for the new academic environment, new potential professional connections and that it is significantly more affordable (it will certainly be lighter on your student debt if you have any). Also, if you want to work in the energy sector, I would think that Calgary would be optimal.

Good insight - thanks.

Accepted to the Waterloo MPS on March 7th via email. Only program of this type that I applied to, as I am still trying to narrow down my career interests (applied to other programs in Canada). I have heard many good things about the program and was really interested in the co-op opportunity.

Any advice/thoughts about this program would be appreciated! I am wondering if there are still opportunities with a degree in this field to work in the private sector. Thank you!

4 hours ago, CanGrad said:

Accepted to the Waterloo MPS on March 7th via email. Only program of this type that I applied to, as I am still trying to narrow down my career interests (applied to other programs in Canada). I have heard many good things about the program and was really interested in the co-op opportunity.

Any advice/thoughts about this program would be appreciated! I am wondering if there are still opportunities with a degree in this field to work in the private sector. Thank you!

I'm not a Waterloo MPS student but I currently sit in one of their classes as my undergrad professor was kind enough to let me do so.

I can 100% vouch for the great success of the MPS program. The co-op there is a huge hit and the final hire rates for Co-op are like 98%. Anecdotally, in only the first round of applications, around 36-40 of the 43 students found a job, mostly at the federal level. A bunch of students went during the reading break to Ottawa for a "Policy Jam" networking session with some government executives. Some of the students literally got Co-op job offers on the spot during that time. In addition, the final term can be done remotely as it's a major team project - most students choose to do a casual or FSWEP for this term. So in reality, the Coop earnings are actually $30,000 or even more (and, honestly, that $20000 figure has been there since 2011. Based on current rates of pay for students, it's closer to $25000/37500 now). After this, they would be eligible to be bridged into a full-time position.

Not only that, but the atmosphere of the program is great. The professors (I know around half of them now) are very helpful and the coursework is focused on getting a job. The cohort is super friendly to people - back in 2017, students in that cohort invited me to the MPS bar night even though I was still an undergrad. This year, they're very welcoming of me being a guest in their class and seem to bond well together. They also have their own exclusive classrooms, lounge, office, and study space on campus.

As for your inquiry about private sector, you could if you wanted to, but the vast majority of students end up in the public sector just by nature of the program. 

Edited by MPPACarletonApplic111
include quote

On 3/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, MPPACarletonApplic111 said:

I'm not a Waterloo MPS student but I currently sit in one of their classes as my undergrad professor was kind enough to let me do so.

I can 100% vouch for the great success of the MPS program. The co-op there is a huge hit and the final hire rates for Co-op are like 98%. Anecdotally, in only the first round of applications, around 36-40 of the 43 students found a job, mostly at the federal level. A bunch of students went during the reading break to Ottawa for a "Policy Jam" networking session with some government executives. Some of the students literally got Co-op job offers on the spot during that time. In addition, the final term can be done remotely as it's a major team project - most students choose to do a casual or FSWEP for this term. So in reality, the Coop earnings are actually $30,000 or even more (and, honestly, that $20000 figure has been there since 2011. Based on current rates of pay for students, it's closer to $25000/37500 now). After this, they would be eligible to be bridged into a full-time position.

Not only that, but the atmosphere of the program is great. The professors (I know around half of them now) are very helpful and the coursework is focused on getting a job. The cohort is super friendly to people - back in 2017, students in that cohort invited me to the MPS bar night even though I was still an undergrad. This year, they're very welcoming of me being a guest in their class and seem to bond well together. They also have their own exclusive classrooms, lounge, office, and study space on campus.

As for your inquiry about private sector, you could if you wanted to, but the vast majority of students end up in the public sector just by nature of the program. 

Thank you!!