LA/OC County Cal States (CSU's): CSUF, CSULA, CSULB, CSUN

19 minutes ago, libbyyehca said:

I applied to CSUF and haven't heard back yet. I know that someone on here recently got an acceptance the last week.

I saw that on the results page and thought it was so strange that there was just one stand alone acceptance reported, especially because in the past it looks like they do an open house before sending out acceptances.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I saw that on the results page and thought it was so strange that there was just one stand alone acceptance reported, especially because in the past it looks like they do an open house before sending out acceptances.

Right, I wanted to assume that the individual is close to faculty. I went to CSUF for my undergrad and they have their favorites.

34 minutes ago, libbyyehca said:

Right, I wanted to assume that the individual is close to faculty. I went to CSUF for my undergrad and they have their favorites.

Oh, gotcha! That's great you did your undergrad there since I've heard they prefer to take their own current/former students. Good luck to you!

Edited by Rezzy S.

I have been accepted to CSULB, Interview for CSUN and rejected from CSULA. Luckily, CSULA was my last choice. 

I turned my applications in before Thanksgiving. There's plenty of time for you to get accepted still! 

Edited by kellslo

5 hours ago, kellslo said:

I have been accepted to CSULB, Interview for CSUN and rejected from CSULA. Luckily, CSULA was my last choice. 

I turned my applications in before Thanksgiving. There's plenty of time for you to get accepted still! 

Congrats on CSULB! I noticed you posted something about an MSW program, are you social work or speech pathology? I think the two programs would notify at different times.

Edited by Rezzy S.

Just saw the email from CSUF saying they have 600 applications to go through and will have an invite-only open house on 3/22. 

Has anyone else noticed schools receiving way more apps than they did last year as reported on edFind? Noticed the same thing for Chapman.

14 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Just saw the email from CSUF saying they have 600 applications to go through and will have an invite-only open house on 3/22. 

Has anyone else noticed schools receiving way more apps than they did last year as reported on edFind? Noticed the same thing for Chapman.

I got that email too. I’m not surprised that CSUF received more applications because they’re one of the few schools (especially in California) that doesn’t require the GRE. I imagine that was very attractive to many applicants. It definitely was to me!

I’m curious about the open house and if there will be an interview portion.  

20 minutes ago, samazon said:

I got that email too. I’m not surprised that CSUF received more applications because they’re one of the few schools (especially in California) that doesn’t require the GRE. I imagine that was very attractive to many applicants. It definitely was to me!

I’m curious about the open house and if there will be an interview portion.  

Agreed, I just thought it was strange they jumped from 350 to 600+ this year. It's already competitive enough lol.

Based on what I read on here from last year there doesn't seem to be an interview portion, but it's hard to say.

Are there any SoCal schools that aren't insanely competitive? I don't think I'm going to apply to any even though it's my home because I doubt my stats are competitive enough. 

3 minutes ago, KEIM said:

Are there any SoCal schools that aren't insanely competitive? I don't think I'm going to apply to any even though it's my home because I doubt my stats are competitive enough. 

They’re all pretty competetive, but Cal Baptist, Chapman, Loma Linda, and Redlands all have between 25-30ish % acceptance rates which is about as good as it gets. Not sure about Biola. Those are all private and cost nearly twice as much as Cal States. You’re definitely smart to think out of state. I applied to a couple out of state that had really cool programs and better acceptance rates.

If you still have time, getting involved in research can really make you stand out.

Good luck! 

1 minute ago, Rezzy S. said:

They’re all pretty competetive, but Cal Baptist, Chapman, Loma Linda, and Redlands all have between 25-30ish % acceptance rates which is about as good as it gets. Not sure about Biola. Those are all private and cost nearly twice as much as Cal States. You’re definitely smart to think out of state. I applied to a couple out of state that had really cool programs and better acceptance rates.

If you still have time, getting involved in research can really make you stand out.

Good luck! 

I was considering Redlands but as you said they are very expensive! I am only applying to distance programs because I have a family and can't uproot my entire life for grad school. The programs I can apply to are limited. Since I have very average stats I wasn't sure if applying to LA/OC CSUs would be a waste of money. Do universities accept students to do research who aren't current students? I'm completing my 2nd BA online. 

Edited by KEIM

3 minutes ago, KEIM said:

I was considering Redlands but as you said they are very expensive! I am only applying to distance programs because I have a family and can't uproot my entire life for grad school. The programs I can apply to are limited. Since I have very average stats I wasn't sure if applying to LA/OC CSUs would be a waste of money. Do universities accept students to do research who aren't current students? I'm completing my 2nd BA online. 

That’s a good question and I have no idea. ? But you could shadow SLPs in your area instead. Try contacting your local hospitals. I did that and was very surprised it worked! Private clinics might be another place to try.

That’s a tough position to be in when you can’t relocate. 

On 2/20/2019 at 6:27 PM, Rezzy S. said:

I received this email too! I applied to CSUF and I went there as an undergrad :) 

So I had a weird issue come up at CSULB - applied there as an undergrad under my maiden name, then applied to graduate school with my married name. The transcripts ended up split between my original profile and my new one, and their staff found that and compiled it all back under one profile. I haven’t heard anything from them since - do you think I should be worried about that? I’ve seen a few people saying they are starting to get interviews. 

Re: CSUF, I got that same 600+ applications email. Hope to hear back soon. 

I also applied to CSUSM (got the group interview invite on 3/2), CSULA (nothing so far), Chapman (nothing so far but I submitted application near the deadline), and San Diego State (nothing so far). 

PS congrats to everyone for surging applications and the interviews you have coming in!

Edited by Rosegrl211

52 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

So I had a weird issue come up at CSULB - applied there as an undergrad under my maiden name, then applied to graduate school with my married name. The transcripts ended up split between my original profile and my new one, and their staff found that and compiled it all back under one profile. I haven’t heard anything from them since - do you think I should be worried about that? I’ve seen a few people saying they are starting to get interviews

I also had screwy stuff happen with my transcripts and would definetly reccomend checking your application status. Find the email they sent out acknowledging your application status. It should have some sort of self service application status check link. Follow the instructions and it will send you an email with your status. If it says your transcripts were received and will be sent to the departmemt, you’re good. If it says things are still missing I would call their enrollment office ASAP. I’ve found they’re very helpful. Stressing about those transcripts is so frustrating! Been there!

Just curious, where have you heard about prople getting CSULB interviews? I haven’t heard a peep on here. 

I’ve heard nothing from CSULA, either.

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

I also had screwy stuff happen with my transcripts and would definetly reccomend checking your application status. Find the email they sent out acknowledging your application status. It should have some sort of self service application status check link. Follow the instructions and it will send you an email with your status. If it says your transcripts were received and will be sent to the departmemt, you’re good. If it says things are still missing I would call their enrollment office ASAP. I’ve found they’re very helpful. Stressing about those transcripts is so frustrating! Been there!

Just curious, where have you heard about prople getting CSULB interviews? I haven’t heard a peep on here. 

I’ve heard nothing from CSULA, either.

I got an email from CSULB that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for final review. Application status doesn’t show any updates either way, no admission decision. I thought I saw some posts around Monday talking about someone getting an interview to CSULB and another person getting accepted, but otherwise I agree it’s been quiet. 

Thanks for the details about the status check, that was the process that originally alerted me to the issue, I hope it helps others on here :) 

10 minutes ago, Rosegrl211 said:

Did you get an interview? Sadly I was rejected, though it was my backup school (logistically difficult for where I live). 

I'm sorry to hear you didn't ? but I'm glad to hear it's only a backup for you. What are some of your top choice schools? I did get an interview, we'll see how it goes... definitely nervous! 

2 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't ? but I'm glad to hear it's only a backup for you. What are some of your top choice schools? I did get an interview, we'll see how it goes... definitely nervous! 

CSULB (nothing yet other than the “application sent to the graduate committee” email), Chapman (got interview and really excited!), CSUSM (got interview and really excited!), CSUF (nothing yet), and SDSU (nothing yet). You? 

1 hour ago, Sigmund's Mom said:

Has anyone heard anything from CSULA? I applied to the school psychology program. When I called she said I should hear something by early March? 

You’re in the speech-language pathology forum :) You might want to post your question in the psychology forum. Good luck!

Edited by Rezzy S.