Hi all, I have a pretty low undergrad GPA of about 3.3 in communication disorders but want to get into a masters for SLP somewhere. I have yet to take the GRE but most likely won't be doing too stellar on that either. I will be taking a gap year and then applying for the Fall 2020 cohort at schools. I have a lot of experience with a lot of observation/shadowing hours, being a paraprofessional, a direct care professional, and volunteering abroad. I'm wondering if I even have a chance of getting into any schools with this low GPA? Also willing to go anywhere for grad school so if you know anywhere that accepts lower GPAs let me know!

Commenting so that I can follow this thread. I know many people who have been accepted with GPA's in the 3.0-3.4 range. The GRE speaks volumes too and if you're like me and struggled with historically harder, non CSD related classes (physics, pre-calculus) grad schools are going to be able to tell that was the issue. There are many more aspects to a application than your GPA. My advice would be to try and do as well as possible on the GRE. Hope my input helps some! 

My best advice would be to apply to schools that accept lower GPA's or that get fewer applications. Plenty of the schools in my signature get fewer applicants per cycle. I have a 3.47 CSDCAS GPA but I supplemented by lower GPA with research positions, volunteering related to CS&D, and getting involved with NSSLHA at my school. Lastly, I'd say schools that interview allow them to evaluate your application beyond your GPA/GRE's -- you're able to verbally explain your experiences and incorporate your positive qualities into the questions they ask. Best of luck!!

4 minutes ago, Procaffeination said:

My best advice would be to apply to schools that accept lower GPA's or that get fewer applications. Plenty of the schools in my signature get fewer applicants per cycle. I have a 3.47 CSDCAS GPA but I supplemented by lower GPA with research positions, volunteering related to CS&D, and getting involved with NSSLHA at my school. Lastly, I'd say schools that interview allow them to evaluate your application beyond your GPA/GRE's -- you're able to verbally explain your experiences and incorporate your positive qualities into the questions they ask. Best of luck!!

What were your GRE scores if you don’t mind me asking?

Edited by SLPca2

Don’t give up on the GRE so fast. Get the GRE Princeton Review book to learn how to do the material/test taking strategies and for practice get a book that’s called the 5 lb. book of GRE Practice Problems. Also get the magoosh vocab app or just find premade gre vocab practice on quizlet. I thought i was going to do horrible on the gre but after studying those for 4 months i got over 315 and 4.5 AW (shoot for min 300 and 4 AW). 

Because you’re willing to move you’ll have no trouble getting in. Just spend a lot of time on edFind researching which programs are a best fit for your stats.

Good luck :)

My advice would be to make yourself stand out from others as much as possible. Volunteer, research, and/or work with special needs children. I personally worked as an SLPA for 3 years and I truly believe that helped me. I also mentioned that I am fluent in ASL in my SOI and had great letters of rec (from my place of employment). My cum GPA is not good ~2.97, with a 3.5 in the field. Additionally, I talked about my GPA in my SOI. I mentioned my cumulative GPA is from 10+ years ago and was honest in mentioning I was not mature enough when I first entered college. For my major in the field, I talk about earning only A's and B's in the classes but worked 45-50+ hours as well. I also believe explaining my GPA helped because it didn't leave anything up to their interpretation of "what happened". 

My  GRE is just below average so trust me when I say GPA/GRE isn't everything but you have to stand out and write an amazing SOI. I've let around 7 people read my SOI and everyone was crying at the end! I truly wanted this and I tried my best to reflect that my passion in my SOI.

Last, apply to as many schools as you can budget for, lol. 

Hey there. Let me first say that whatever you do, don’t underestimate yourself. Your GPA isn’t bad at all. If you’re able to bring it up somehow, I recommend you do it though. If not, then try your best for everything else. That means the GRE and extra curricular activities. While you have some nice things under your belt, try adding on whatever you can for extra curriculars while you’re taking your gap year.

Now for the GRE, I highly suggest you prepare for it. That will give you great leverage where your GPA may be an issue. At the same time, don’t think GPA and GRE grades determine everything. As others have said, your statement will speak volumes. My GRE scores weren’t the greatest but my GPA helped a lot and my statement is, according to multiple people, unique and “stands out”.

I’ll personally admit that I was scared at first of not getting in and so applied to various schools. You have to be able to expand your horizons. I’m from NYC and have applied across the US. So far I’ve gotten 2 acceptances, 1 rejection and 2 waitlists. It’s an anxious time right now but super exciting at the same time.

Good luck and do your very best!

Edited by Aspire_to_Be