University of Washington (Med or Core)

Is anyone attending the Admitted Students Day on April 5 (or other dates)? I'm most likely going to accept my MedSLP offer but I'd really like to visit UW and Seattle before doing so as I've never been and it will be a really big move for me across the country. However, the deposit is due shortly after that and I'm afraid that I'll be really stretched thin for money after buying my flight, airbnb, etc. for the visit - I can make it work, but it will just be really financially stressful to do, haha. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just plan on attending the online session instead? 

Edited by lilyslp

Hi all,

I was accepted into the MedSLP program, and I am seriously considering going because it is my top choice.

My only concern in funding. Because MedSLP is a fee-based program, I am having a hard time figuring where financial aid comes from. We are not eligible for university funding or the WICHE program, which means MedSLP students have to rely on federal loans and department scholarships, right? And living in Seattle is already quite expensive, on top of the fixed tuition and lack of funding options.

Does anyone have any information on MedSLP funding? I have an opportunity to get a Graduate Assistantship at Portland State, and I'm tempted to just ignore UW in favor of the better funding options there. I'd really rather go to UW, though. Help! ?

2 hours ago, lilyslp said:

Is anyone attending the Admitted Students Day on April 5 (or other dates)? I'm most likely going to accept my MedSLP offer but I'd really like to visit UW and Seattle before doing so as I've never been and it will be a really big move for me across the country. However, the deposit is due shortly after that and I'm afraid that I'll be really stretched thin for money after buying my flight, airbnb, etc. for the visit - I can make it work, but it will just be really financially stressful to do, haha. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just plan on attending the online session instead? 

I will be at the in-person session on April 5th! It would be great to see another MedSLP person there!

I got lucky with the expenses because my Aunt lives in Tacoma, and she offered to let me stay with her and drive me into Seattle. 

Hopefully you can work out the finances to come up, but if not their virtual meetings are actually really great. I did a virtual admissions webinar during the application process, and the women running it were very friendly ,and there were several opportunities to interact with the faculty and other "attendees" through Zoom. Even though it would be fun to visit the campus in person, the online option is not a bad alternative, especially if it lets you save money to actually accept your offer. 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, rosejoy said:

Oh yay congrats to you! Where are you from? Your bio says California. UW has a tuition waiver for people in certain states, including CA, so that we can pay in-state tuition, making it MUCH more affordable. Read this link here. Did you apply for the WICHE/WGRP rate in your application?

I would love to attend the preview day, but I'm going to be out of the country during both of the days so I'm gonna try to see if they'll let me visit another time. 

Also, has anyone heard anything about a FB page for UW SLP? If there isn't one maybe I'll just go ahead and make one. I'm excited to meet the other students haha.

Thank you!! I'm originally from Wisconsin so probably not eligible for the tuition waiver. But thanks for the information!! I didn't see a FB group so go ahead! 

Hi @mangomaddness73 (and anyone else who might find it helpful) -- 

I'm currently a first year in the CoreSLP program, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program, UW, Seattle, etc.! If I don't know the answers, I'll find someone who does. :)

Feel free to ask here so everyone can benefit from the info, or to message me privately if you'd prefer!

Congrats, and happy Friday!

Edited by SopranoSLP

@SopranoSLP Hi! I was just accepted into the UW Post Bac program, and I see that you also did a Post Bac yourself...did you take a gap year in between Post Bac and graduate school or did you apply straight away? I understand that the UW post bac program starts in the summer and that only leave 2 quarters to get to know professors for LORs before the application process starts for grad schools, so I'm a little worried about this.

13 hours ago, jchen25 said:

@SopranoSLP Hi! I was just accepted into the UW Post Bac program, and I see that you also did a Post Bac yourself...did you take a gap year in between Post Bac and graduate school or did you apply straight away? I understand that the UW post bac program starts in the summer and that only leave 2 quarters to get to know professors for LORs before the application process starts for grad schools, so I'm a little worried about this.

Congrats! :) I applied for grad school right away, as did at least half of my postbac cohort. Your point is a good one though, and I was definitely stressed about having so little time to make an impression. The thing is, it’s anxiety-inducing for the students, but it’s totally normal for the faculty because the postbacs are in that position every year. If you’re engaged in your coursework, research, volunteering, etc., faculty members will get to know you quickly enough to write a good letter on your behalf. I’m pretty sure everyone in my cohort who wanted to go straight through to grad school got in somewhere (and 6 of us stayed at UW). 

Does that help? 

3 hours ago, SopranoSLP said:

Congrats! :) I applied for grad school right away, as did at least half of my postbac cohort. Your point is a good one though, and I was definitely stressed about having so little time to make an impression. The thing is, it’s anxiety-inducing for the students, but it’s totally normal for the faculty because the postbacs are in that position every year. If you’re engaged in your coursework, research, volunteering, etc., faculty members will get to know you quickly enough to write a good letter on your behalf. I’m pretty sure everyone in my cohort who wanted to go straight through to grad school got in somewhere (and 6 of us stayed at UW). 

Does that help? 

@SopranoSLP your answer helped so much, thank you! I was also wondering--If you were to do it over again and had the chance to go straight to a graduate program (that had the prerequisites within it) after undergrad, would you attend that school instead of doing a postbac and then applying again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!!

On 3/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, BurritoConnoisseur said:

So UW (MedSLP) has been my dream school along with MGH. I got accepted to MGH, however, got waitlisted for UW. I really thought my heart was set for MGH but once I received the decision from UW I realized how much I actually wanted to go to UW!! I've consulted with friends who currently go to UW and they told me to go to the open house as they might take note of my attendance despite only getting waitlisted. It's a pretty cheap plane ticket to go, but I don't know if it's going to be worth it. My grad student friends told me that they've had a good amount of people in their cohort who were once waitlisted, so it might be worth taking the shot. But I'm so undecided! What do you folks think is the right course of action!? 

Please share your thoughts!! And if there are other people waitlisted for UW, please share what you are planning to do!

A lot of people get in off the waitlist! (I think there are at least 5-7 in our current cohort.) If you can swing the plane ticket, come check it out and demonstrate your continued interest. :) 

2 hours ago, jchen25 said:

@SopranoSLP your answer helped so much, thank you! I was also wondering--If you were to do it over again and had the chance to go straight to a graduate program (that had the prerequisites within it) after undergrad, would you attend that school instead of doing a postbac and then applying again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!!

Hmm. I did initially consider going the 3-year masters route because it seemed more efficient. I chose to do the UW postbac because I really wanted to stay in Seattle. I appreciated that UW gave me a comprehensive background in speech & hearing science so that I'd feel extremely prepared wherever I wound up for grad school. But if they had had a 3-year option, I would have been thrilled to skip the stress of applying for the masters program!! ?

I guess my advice would be, don't choose a 3-year program at a school you don't love just to save yourself the hassle of more applications in the future. But if you could really see yourself spending 3 years there, it's a pretty efficient way to go.

1 hour ago, SopranoSLP said:

Hmm. I did initially consider going the 3-year masters route because it seemed more efficient. I chose to do the UW postbac because I really wanted to stay in Seattle. I appreciated that UW gave me a comprehensive background in speech & hearing science so that I'd feel extremely prepared wherever I wound up for grad school. But if they had had a 3-year option, I would have been thrilled to skip the stress of applying for the masters program!! ?

I guess my advice would be, don't choose a 3-year program at a school you don't love just to save yourself the hassle of more applications in the future. But if you could really see yourself spending 3 years there, it's a pretty efficient way to go.

thank you so much! you have no idea how much this helped me haha good luck with everything!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, rosejoy said:

Congrats! I was accepted too. I am also interested in information about Seattle (I’ve been having a hard time finding apartments that aren’t like $1500+). 

I was also wondering if anyone knows how financial aid, specifically with FAFSA, works. Do we find out what we get after we accept or before? 

Hi!!! Did you (or anyone) ever figure out this info about FAFSA? I need to call the financial aid office and chat with them but also don't want to ask super obvious questions. I feel really in the dark about all of it though! 

41 minutes ago, lilyslp said:

Hi!!! Did you (or anyone) ever figure out this info about FAFSA? I need to call the financial aid office and chat with them but also don't want to ask super obvious questions. I feel really in the dark about all of it though! 

Ugh I feel that lol. I emailed them kind of asking indirectly, but they said that we should get our financial aid package by April 15. Other than that, I don’t know anything else. I feel like at this point all we can do is just wait for it?

They also told me that departmental scholarships were sent out with the initial offers, but they may offer them to others if they get turned down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, BADASSALICE said:

Has anyone waitlisted heard from UW?? 

I would like to know as well! I’m also waitlisted and hoping to hear something soon??

23 hours ago, SLP224 said:

I would like to know as well! I’m also waitlisted and hoping to hear something soon??

I emailed them asking when the waitlisted would hear. They said that we will definitely hear one way or another before the end of next week. I saw on the result page that someone got off the waitlist for med slp on the 17th though. ?

Edited by BADASSALICE

On 4/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, BADASSALICE said:

I emailed them asking when the waitlisted would hear. They said that we will definitely hear one way or another before the end of next week. I saw on the result page that someone got off the waitlist for med slp on the 17th though. ?

Oh wow that’s scary and exciting at the same time haha hopefully it’s good news!

On 4/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, BADASSALICE said:

Have you heard any news? I got an email last week saying their cohort was full, but I’m still on the waitlist for spring and summer in case someone drops. I’m wondering how likely that is??

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:10 AM, SLP224 said:

Have you heard any news? I got an email last week saying their cohort was full, but I’m still on the waitlist for spring and summer in case someone drops. I’m wondering how likely that is??

Hi, I am also on the waitlist for the MedSLP program and I emailed them to let them know I am still interested in their program. They asked me to be one of their "go to students" should someone drop out of their program during the summer. They also asked if either program would be okay for me even though my priority was MedSLP.  Did they ask you this as well? I'm wondering where I stand with the other students. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, Vanessa94 said:

Hi, I am also on the waitlist for the MedSLP program and I emailed them to let them know I am still interested in their program. They asked me to be one of their "go to students" should someone drop out of their program during the summer. They also asked if either program would be okay for me even though my priority was MedSLP.  Did they ask you this as well? I'm wondering where I stand with the other students. 

Hi, yes that is the exact email I got! I’m also curious how many other students are “go to”?