University of Washington (Med or Core)

Hi all! Curious if anyone has spoken with the department or has an idea of when we may be hearing back. It's unfortunate that my expectations are set based on when individuals began finding out last year (3/3). So... what to do besides spend an unhealthy amount of time on this site? Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by lilyslp

Currently waiting for MedSLP... I keep on opening the portal and refreshing the results page... the portal says they'd get us decisions by mid-March, but I'm wondering if that's just a rough estimate and that they said the same things last year?

I'm in a second round of applications after turning down my only offer last year! I was rejected from UW's med slp program last year and found out 3/2 

Not that that's helpful for this year, but that's what I have to add haha. All the PNW schools are mid March decisions and stick to that. So it tracks :) 

Does anyone mind sending their GRE scores and GPA who applied to UWashington? I have a 3.96 cumulative GPA. Verbal:160 Quant: 152 Writing: 4.0.  

I'd love to know if anyone gets in! 

I emailed admissions and she said "mid march. we are hoping to get the letters out soon!" 

Edited by Jen Kelley

11 minutes ago, Jen Kelley said:

I emailed admissions and she said "mid march. we are hoping to get the letters out soon!" 

Ahh mid March is so vague it hurts!! I hope that means we'll be hearing back next week... :')

1 hour ago, Jen Kelley said:

Does anyone mind sending their GRE scores and GPA who applied to UWashington? I have a 3.96 cumulative GPA. Verbal:160 Quant: 152 Writing: 4.0.  

My stats are below and they are lower than yours. I applied here knowing it was a competitive school and more of a reach school for me. I wish you the best of luck!

On 3/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, Jen Kelley said:

Department said it is a letter? I’ve been wondering if they’ll come via email or post mail? I’m in the same boat as everyone here! Mid March is way too vague. This waiting game is definitely the most mentally challenging part of this whole process, of which I was completely unprepared for! I’m hoping next week is the week. Maybe they’ll send out letters today?? One can hope right?! 

On 3/7/2019 at 9:14 AM, Jen Kelley said:

My  cumulative GPA is a good bit lower than yours, but GRE scores are similar.  

I'm also dying waiting.  I'm in the postbac program here, and the closer it gets to the end the more I realize that I just love this place and I'm not ready to leave it! 

31 minutes ago, rosejoy said:

I just got an email for acceptance to the CoreSLP program! I am in disbelief and extremely happy right now!!! Literally in tears haha

Congrats! I was waitlisted for MedSLP but hey I’m pretty stoked about that. :)

54 minutes ago, BioCook said:

Congrats! I was waitlisted for MedSLP but hey I’m pretty stoked about that. :)

Thank you! Congrats on waitlist too - that's still a big deal!

Congrats to everyone!!!! 

1 hour ago, rosejoy said:

I just got an email for acceptance to the CoreSLP program! I am in disbelief and extremely happy right now!!! Literally in tears haha

I *cried* hahaha congrats !!!!! and congrats to everyone else :)))

5 hours ago, rosejoy said:

Congrats!! I got an acceptance email just now as well!!! Are you planning on going to UW??

3 hours ago, Lexie_SLP said:

Congrats!! I got an acceptance email just now as well!!! Are you planning on going to UW??

Congrats to you too!! I’m not sure yet, I hadn’t really considered it because I thought I wasn’t going to get in. But I really would love to go if I can make it work. I am still waiting on some other decisions though.

Hi everyone!

I was recently accepted into UW's CoreSLP program and I was hoping that I could hear about some past experiences of current students! If anyone has any info on the program or wants to share their experiences in the department and/or living in Seattle in general I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!!

3 hours ago, mangomaddness73 said:

Hi everyone!

I was recently accepted into UW's CoreSLP program and I was hoping that I could hear about some past experiences of current students! If anyone has any info on the program or wants to share their experiences in the department and/or living in Seattle in general I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!!

Congrats! I was accepted too. I am also interested in information about Seattle (I’ve been having a hard time finding apartments that aren’t like $1500+). 

I was also wondering if anyone knows how financial aid, specifically with FAFSA, works. Do we find out what we get after we accept or before? 

On 3/10/2019 at 5:01 PM, rosejoy said:

Congrats! I was accepted too. I am also interested in information about Seattle (I’ve been having a hard time finding apartments that aren’t like $1500+). 

I was also wondering if anyone knows how financial aid, specifically with FAFSA, works. Do we find out what we get after we accept or before? 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, mangomaddness73 said:

Hi everyone!

Congrats to you two!! I just got accepted to the CoreSLP program as well! Are you guys attending the preview day? I want to find out more about funding opportunities because I'm a non-residence so it's kinda expensive. 

So UW (MedSLP) has been my dream school along with MGH. I got accepted to MGH, however, got waitlisted for UW. I really thought my heart was set for MGH but once I received the decision from UW I realized how much I actually wanted to go to UW!! I've consulted with friends who currently go to UW and they told me to go to the open house as they might take note of my attendance despite only getting waitlisted. It's a pretty cheap plane ticket to go, but I don't know if it's going to be worth it. My grad student friends told me that they've had a good amount of people in their cohort who were once waitlisted, so it might be worth taking the shot. But I'm so undecided! What do you folks think is the right course of action!? 

Please share your thoughts!! And if there are other people waitlisted for UW, please share what you are planning to do!

Hi!

Congrats on MGH!

I also was waitlisted for UW. I applied CoreSLP. I wasn't really expecting it because I thought I didn't have a strong application (Because a lot of my documents were really rushed) but I was glad I could make it at least into the waitlist.

I've heard from my friends who are already in grad programs that many people from the waitlist are often accepted. I wouldn't give up hope for the program just yet!

If a spot opens up for me, I would definitely consider it. But for now, I was accepted into SDSU and so if nothing changes until April 15th, I'm going to pay the deposit for SDSU (or whatever program gets back to me). I would definitely consider if the spot opened up during the summer since it's such a nice program!

I’m kind of in a similar boat. I was waitlisted from UW (MedSLP) and accepted to MGH. I’m happy to have also gotten into other great programs, but that also means I have more of a headache in terms of decision making. It sounds like you’re really hopeful/excited about UW, so I suggest sticking it out! Definitely put down a deposit somewhere you like so you have a spot - you’d have to forgo $$$ but if you got into UW after the April 15 deadline, but it would be worth it!

I’m currently debating on my options... The more I think about it, the more overwhelming it is for me to move out to the other side of the U.S.! So east coast it is. :3 I’ll wait it out, but there aren’t many dysphagia researchers at UW and that’s another one of my qualms. 

MGH is a great program, and Boston is fantastic. You certainly will enjoy your time if you choose to attend. :) Also, take a pros and cons list and be specific as possible! It might help to visually see what your options are. 

Edited by BioCook
Add info

3 hours ago, Lexie_SLP said:

Congrats to you two!! I just got accepted to the CoreSLP program as well! Are you guys attending the preview day? I want to find out more about funding opportunities because I'm a non-residence so it's kinda expensive. 

Oh yay congrats to you! Where are you from? Your bio says California. UW has a tuition waiver for people in certain states, including CA, so that we can pay in-state tuition, making it MUCH more affordable. Read this link here. Did you apply for the WICHE/WGRP rate in your application?

I would love to attend the preview day, but I'm going to be out of the country during both of the days so I'm gonna try to see if they'll let me visit another time. 

Also, has anyone heard anything about a FB page for UW SLP? If there isn't one maybe I'll just go ahead and make one. I'm excited to meet the other students haha.