Gifts appropriate for LoR writers?

CanadianHopeful

Question

7 answers to this question

You definitely don't want to spend a lot (most professors are not allowed to take gifts that are more than a "token"). A coffee mug from the university you were accepted to or something along those lines and a thank you note are more than sufficient. 

I think flowers are great. If that seems inappropriate or unwelcome to give to your professor, maybe food? (Like homemade cookies or an edible arrangement). 

Like the others said, gifts from current students are usually frowned upon (possibly seen as a bribe) and even if you are graduated, it's safe to assume your professor is doing alright financially and not necessarily appreciative of monetary gifts.

I individualized my gifts. I drew the medieval creatures from class for one of my recommenders, got another prof a giant pigeon (it was a class inside joke), and gave another prof a puzzle of the world that was very similar to discussions we had in class. I also gave them each hand-written notes with my non-school email address (in case my undergrad email disappears one day). They seemed to really appreciate the gifts.

Edited by LOiseauRouge

On 3/7/2019 at 2:43 AM, CanadianHopeful said:

I've accepted an offer from my future school but I don't know how to thank my LoR writers, is it appropriate to give all 3 of them a 25-50$ gift certificate?

I didn't think about getting the gifts...I sent handwritten letters detailing my plans for graduate school and thanking them for all that they did for me. I am not sure it is appropriate, but if you do want to give them a gift, I would do/get something personal/individualized instead of just get them gift cards.