CV/Resume & Cover Letter Thread

EileanDonan

Hi folks!

I thought it might be helpful to create a place where those of us who are looking for a new position could critique/swap our CVs, resumes, and cover letters as well as discuss other topics related to applying to jobs. (I realize there is a "Jobs" subforum, but I felt like a thread with a psych-specific focus would be beneficial). I'll start!

I recently discovered the perfect research position (would be my first paid), so I want to do everything I can to put my best foot forward. Some questions I had:

• Research fit is absolutely spot on, but my personal research experience so far is not relevant to this particular focus. Should I be concerned?
  • The application is hosted on a portal that only seems to require a resume. However, I know the name of the PI - would it be appropriate to email them in addition to indicate my particular interest and attach a cover letter? Would that likely be seen as welcome initiative, or desperate and not following direction?
  • I would love a critique of my resume! I'm happy to swap with anyone as well.

Let's make this a productive year! ?

12 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Hi folks!

I thought it might be helpful to create a place where those of us who are looking for a new position could critique/swap our CVs, resumes, and cover letters as well as discuss other topics related to applying to jobs. (I realize there is a "Jobs" subforum, but I felt like a thread with a psych-specific focus would be beneficial). I'll start!

I recently discovered the perfect research position (would be my first paid), so I want to do everything I can to put my best foot forward. Some questions I had:

• Research fit is absolutely spot on, but my personal research experience so far is not relevant to this particular focus. Should I be concerned?
  • The application is hosted on a portal that only seems to require a resume. However, I know the name of the PI - would it be appropriate to email them in addition to indicate my particular interest and attach a cover letter? Would that likely be seen as welcome initiative, or desperate and not following direction?
  • I would love a critique of my resume! I'm happy to swap with anyone as well.

Let's make this a productive year! ?

• Idk if you should be concerned or not. But if you are concerned, simply and briefly outline those potential issues (while not addressing them as issues) in your cover letter
  • That's impossible to answer without personally knowing the PI and his/her personality. For my two paid research assistant jobs I applied directl through the university application portals. That being said, I safely assume most PIs are decent people and imo think this PI wouldn't respond negatively to a little e-mail after you submit your application. Sort of like a baby cover letter, maybe just a "Hi, Dr. So and So, I recently applied for your listed position. I look fwd to u reviewing my app yada yada fit yada yada very interested etc etc."
  • If u want to shoot me ur resume in a PM or have questions about the format/organization of it, I'm more than happy to give u some feedback

Hi! I’m more than happy to critique CV’s and/or cover letters! I have worked at a research lab for almost two years now and will be attending a clinical psych PhD program in the fall. Please DM me!

For my lab, if an applicant applies to both the job portal and sends us a CV/CL then I take that as a good sign and prioritize their application more. That being said, if you call the lab a wrong name or call us/our PI by the wrong names then your mistakes are way easier to point out. 

Also applying for postbaccs atm, went through a few CL revisions before I found 2 or so formats that I basically used for all the jobs with slight tweaks. Good luck, we're in this together, also thanks to the other posters for sharing their knowledge

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an idea of the time frame for the positions? It seems postings that go through HR are slower than others, I'm curious as to the average time that elapsed from application to initial interview.

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

Also applying for postbaccs atm, went through a few CL revisions before I found 2 or so formats that I basically used for all the jobs with slight tweaks. Good luck, we're in this together, also thanks to the other posters for sharing their knowledge

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an idea of the time frame for the positions? It seems postings that go through HR are slower than others, I'm curious as to the average time that elapsed from application to initial interview.

Ha, don't worry about hijacking, I hoped the thread would be a place for general discussion, too. For what it's worth, I'm interested in time frame as well.