Stay in California or explore New York?

Need help with deciding on schools! I'm still waiting to hear back from other SLP programs, but so far I've been accepted to NYU's ~3-year program and UOP's accelerated 24-month program. For tuition alone, they're basically the same and I really like both programs. Stockton doesn't seem all that fun (but you can correct me if I'm wrong on that), and the idea of going to grad school in NYC is really appealing to me since it's my last chance to study out-of-state in a vibrant place with tons of places to explore, but idk if that makes up for the bad weather, noisy streets, expensive rent & food, not having a car, and being away from friends and family for 3 years. I know the cons of going to NYU really seem to outweigh the pros, but what do you guys think? Is experiencing life in NYC all that great? Would grad school leave me no time to even explore (and so location wouldn't really matter in that sense)? If I go out-of-state, how feasible is it to get licensed and employed (especially in a medical setting) back in CA? Any sort of insight, as well as info for either program, would be appreciated!

Edited by Blossom19

12 minutes ago, Blossom19 said:

Need help with deciding on schools! I'm still waiting to hear back from other SLP programs, but so far I've been accepted to NYU's ~3-year program and UOP's accelerated 24-month program. For tuition alone, they're basically the same and I really like both programs. Stockton doesn't seem all that fun (but you can correct me if I'm wrong on that), and the idea of going to grad school in NYC is really appealing to me since it's my last chance to study out-of-state in a vibrant place with tons of places to explore, but idk if that makes up for the bad weather, noisy streets, expensive rent & food, not having a car, and being away from friends and family for 3 years. I know the cons of going to NYU really seem to outweigh the pros, but what do you guys think? Is experiencing life in NYC all that great? Would grad school leave me no time to even explore (and so location wouldn't really matter in that sense)? If I go out-of-state, how feasible is it to get licensed and employed (especially in a medical setting) back in CA? Any sort of insight, as well as info for either program, would be appreciated!

Agree with you on Stockton, but yeah the cost of NYC is so high (if I had fewer roots where I'm at I'd do it in a second though!). Are there any other California schools you're still waiting to hear from? Your CCC's are enough to let you work in medical settings in CA, it's just working in CA schools that you'd need a state-specific credential for. 

Unless you're great with time management (I'm not!) you probably won't have that much time to explore. I live one town over from the cool college town my program is in. I technically go there all the time for school, but I've been downtown maybe 7-8 times in almost 7 months. I suppose I could get out more than I do, but once I'm done with class the homework begins (and continues into the weekends) and going out just seems exhausting and unproductive.  Also, it's only for two years, so you'll be done before you know it even if the location is ho-hum.

2 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Agree with you on Stockton, but yeah the cost of NYC is so high (if I had fewer roots where I'm at I'd do it in a second though!). Are there any other California schools you're still waiting to hear from? Your CCC's are enough to let you work in medical settings in CA, it's just working in CA schools that you'd need a state-specific credential for. 

Do you know if it’s possible to get the state specific credential without going to a CA school? Or how difficult it is? I got accepted to UW which would be my dream to go, but I would eventually want to move back to California and work here.

41 minutes ago, rosejoy said:

Do you know if it’s possible to get the state specific credential without going to a CA school? Or how difficult it is? I got accepted to UW which would be my dream to go, but I would eventually want to move back to California and work here.

See page three of this document from the state of California about half way down. Looks like you just have to jump through a couple minor administrative hoops. 

3 hours ago, Blossom19 said:

Stockton isn’t amazing, but it’s an hour or so away from lots of fun stuff to do and see!

1 hour ago, Rezzy S. said:

See page three of this document from the state of California about half way down. Looks like you just have to jump through a couple minor administrative hoops. 

Thank you that was really helpful! It's kind of a confusing document though so I may end up trying to call someone and see if they know...

On 3/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Rezzy S. said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from SJSU, CSUEB, Loma Linda, and University of Redlands. If I get into a CSU, it'd save me a ton of money and there are multiple other personal benefits to staying as well. It's just a little hard giving up the opportunity to live in NYC

I also tried to call the speech and hearing association in CA multiple times to ask about state-to-state licensure but they never picked up /:

8 hours ago, Blossom19 said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from SJSU, CSUEB, Loma Linda, and University of Redlands. If I get into a CSU, it'd save me a ton of money and there are multiple other personal benefits to staying as well. It's just a little hard giving up the opportunity to live in NYC

I also tried to call the speech and hearing association in CA multiple times to ask about state-to-state licensure but they never picked up /:

Have you checked out the info on the ASHA website for state reciprocity? That's where I started. I don't know much about CA licensure, since I'm from the Northeast, but NY has very strict requirements for teaching licensure along with your c's to practice. Have you checked on ASHA to see what CA requires and if it's similar to the NY requirements?

(For example, I found out from there that if I want to move back to my state, I need to have a certain number of hours at a public school, which plenty of states don't require, so I'm talking with the externship coordinator at a program to make sure I'll have that ability.)

If I were in your situation, I'd ask myself where I wanted to live and work in the long term. NYU may open up more opportunities for you in New York but may not matter as much if you wanted to work in California. New York State is known to have some of the most rigorous licensing requirements in the country so your qualification may be more easily transferable to other states than the other way around.