Is anyone else deciding between the two schools? Waiting to hear about funding for both but they are both great programs just feel like NYU has so much information about Speech@NYU online program and not much about on-campus. 

Going to attend open houses, but can anyone share information on either? I want to be in the hospitals as a medical SLP so need to figure out which will be best for me!

Wish I knew someone who is a current student in these programs. I'm from South Florida, so would be a big move. 

I go to TC, what would you like to know? If you want to be a medical SLP I think both schools would be able to help you achieve that goal. TC students get 3 outside placements and I believe NYU students get 2, and both schools have similar placement opportunities.

14 hours ago, zurako said:

I go to TC, what would you like to know? If you want to be a medical SLP I think both schools would be able to help you achieve that goal. TC students get 3 outside placements and I believe NYU students get 2, and both schools have similar placement opportunities.

Hello, thank you for your post here. In regard to tuition, from what I’ve read, funding and financial aid are usually paired with an acceptance email and can be found on be admissions portal.

Aside from that, is there any particular way of getting funding for the program? My biggest deterrent from CU is the fact that it comes out to more than 100k. Additionally, I’m aware that the NYC DoE is able to find you by applying to their program but their contract requires you to work for them 2 years per every year of funding.

i haven’t yet decided whether I wish I do medical or school based SLP but have leaned more toward ganinong medical experience as the transition from medical to school based SLP is significantly easier than the other way around. So the DoE contract is concerning in terms of funding.

4 hours ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

Hello, thank you for your post here. In regard to tuition, from what I’ve read, funding and financial aid are usually paired with an acceptance email and can be found on be admissions portal.

Aside from that, is there any particular way of getting funding for the program? My biggest deterrent from CU is the fact that it comes out to more than 100k. Additionally, I’m aware that the NYC DoE is able to find you by applying to their program but their contract requires you to work for them 2 years per every year of funding.

i haven’t yet decided whether I wish I do medical or school based SLP but have leaned more toward ganinong medical experience as the transition from medical to school based SLP is significantly easier than the other way around. So the DoE contract is concerning in terms of fundi

Yeah basically what it says on the funding letter (scholarship, work study, etc) is what you get. There might be smaller outside funding opportunities that I may not know about, but the DOE scholarship is your best bet. If you can get the scholarship (very competitive, they prefer bilingual candidates) I really think it will be worth it because you'll come out of school debt-free and are free to pursue whatever setting you want after a few years.

5 minutes ago, zurako said:

Yeah basically what it says on the funding letter (scholarship, work study, etc) is what you get. There might be smaller outside funding opportunities that I may not know about, but the DOE scholarship is your best bet. If you can get the scholarship (very competitive, they prefer bilingual candidates) I really think it will be worth it because you'll come out of school debt-free and are free to pursue whatever setting you want after a few years.

Very reassuring, especially the last part. I greatly appreciate* your reply!

Edited by Aspire_to_Be

6 hours ago, felicity_white17 said:

@zurako thanks so much for your feedback! any chance you can tell us a bit more about the culture of the program? would you describe it as collaborative or competitive? and how about the faculty? do you think the class itself is also a bit more diverse? (different backrounds, experiences, ages, etc). thanks so much!

The students are pretty collaborative and there really is no competition because everyone has already made it to grad school. Faculty are all great researchers/clinicians, but some are better at teaching than others... Some classes might be taught by adjuncts but they've been great actually.

I would say we are slightly more diverse than the typical programs due to our bilingual program and being in NYC but still not diverse enough. In a class of 50, there would be around 7 POC, 2 males, and 1 older (~30) students. We do have a lot of people from non-speech backgrounds but they're mostly related disciplines (psych, linguistic, education, etc). Hope this helps! 

@psychslp everyone has to take the prereqs before the grad level classes so there's really no significant difference academically. The only small disadvantage might be knowing about real life stuff like requirements for certification or what setting you want to be in but you'll be fine!

I do complain about minor stuff about TC sometimes hahaha but things work out eventually and overall I am glad I chose to go.

@kamtea

So the cohort after my year got to take a course on being a medical SLP so that's pretty cool. The adult classes are all very good, I learned a lot. We have good relationships with a lot of medical sites and people get at LEAST 1 medical placements out of the 3 we need to do (some people get 2). Some people will be doing their CFs right out of grad school in medical settings!

8 hours ago, zurako said:

@kamtea well I never got to take the medical course so can't comment on that... We have relationships with hospitals, snfs, rehab centers in NYC/upstate/New Jersey. 

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your posts!

Do you happen to know anything about the NYC DoE funding program? I’d like to apply for it in order to avoid a mountain of debt with Columbia but am cautious over their commitment requirements (work for them 2 years per year if funding). As much as I’ve loved seeing children being helped within schools, I’d really like to expand my knowledge in working within medical settings/mix of adults and children so I’m hoping there are still changes of doing medical based SLP regardless of possibly working with the DoE for 4 years

@Aspire_to_Be it's really a great deal since you won't be 100k in debt!!! And since your career is gonna be like 25-30 years 4 years in the school really isn't that much time. I'm sure you can pivot if you work hard to keep yourself relevant for the medical field.

You're required to serve high needs areas (predominantly POC areas and district 75). For TC students they almost only exclusively take Spanish bilinguals because of how expensive our program is. And they really want to see that you care about NYC public school kids.