April 15: Just how close are decisions made?

HopOnMyCrates

Let me preface by saying that I am a wee baby in regards to how academia operates, including the intricacies of the admissions process. If my question seems naïve, that's because it is. Similarly, I don't know the etiquette of name dropping acceptances and such on here. If you'd like further specification I'd be happy to oblige.

My situation: I've got an admissions offer at a PGR T20 PhD program and am waitlisted at a slightly lower rated school, however I think it might be a better fit. I just got back from the waitlist school's prospectives day and loved everything about it. I'm visiting the other school in early April, and intend to make my decision between the two shortly thereafter. The variable here is in regards to when I might hear back from waitlist school. Obviously this varies  year to year and school to school, but how close to April 15 do people typically hear back from waitlist schools? 

Edited by HopOnMyCrates
Unfinished accidentally submitted

April 15 is the deadline for a first offer (in the US). While most schools will be more or less done admitting by then, they needn't be.

I was admitted from a waitlist on April 18th.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Agent_Causation said:

Maybe a silly question, but, does anyone know if there a particular time on April 15th by which decisions must be made? 11:59pm? Haha

I think this varies by Department. Some say 4 pm which really sucks if that's a school in the East Coast but your waiting for a school in the West Coast! 

1 hour ago, theophaniac said:

Most depts are flexible if you tell them that this is the situation.

Yup! And worth noting that at least some are also happy to be flexible for international folks with unreasonable time differences (although it's not like most of us are able to sleep that night anyway! ?).

On 3/23/2019 at 12:35 AM, HopOnMyCrates said:

Let me preface by saying that I am a wee baby in regards to how academia operates, including the intricacies of the admissions process. If my question seems naïve, that's because it is. Similarly, I don't know the etiquette of name dropping acceptances and such on here. If you'd like further specification I'd be happy to oblige.

My situation: I've got an admissions offer at a PGR T20 PhD program and am waitlisted at a slightly lower rated school, however I think it might be a better fit. I just got back from the waitlist school's prospectives day and loved everything about it. I'm visiting the other school in early April, and intend to make my decision between the two shortly thereafter. The variable here is in regards to when I might hear back from waitlist school. Obviously this varies  year to year and school to school, but how close to April 15 do people typically hear back from waitlist schools? 

PM'd you.

Edited by The_Last_Thylacine