F1 VISA funding documents for PhD students

Hello everyone.

My course of PhD starts in Fall 2019. The university is offering me a tuition waiver and TA of $12,400 for 9 months. The total estimated cost is $42,000 and they are providing with almost$39,500 including the tuition fee. The rest has been covered by my family and a bit extra. I have already received the I20 which says the funding for a year has been covered .

I am worried that I will have to show proof of funding for 5 years of the course, as I have seen in most of the forums for MS students. So my question is - is it mandatory for PhD students to show documents of funding for 5 years of your course ?

psygeek... just a quick follow up I have a completely funded offer and the stipend exceeds the cost of living (which I think is similar to your case).And on the acceptance letter the department explicitly stated that the funding will be for five years if I'm in good standing. Does that mean I need only the acceptance letter and I20 and not any extra proof of funding ( like a bank statement)?

Edited by dna

On 3/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Psygeek said:

Will ur funding be for each year? I brought the letter I received to prove, the guy checked it and was convinced (although mine was completely funded + some extra).

psygeek... just a quick follow up I have a completely funded offer and the stipend exceeds the cost of living (which I think is similar to your case).And on the acceptance letter the department explicitly stated that the funding will be for five years if I'm in good standing. Does that mean I need only the acceptance letter and I20 and not any extra proof of funding ( like a bank statement)?

6 hours ago, dna said:

Yup. I brought no bank statements and no questions asked.

• 4 weeks later...

guys there is a question in ds 160 : person or entity paying for your trip? options are:  1)self 2) other person 3) organizatio/ company

ON my I 20 it is mentioned that total expences 45645 USD and funds asistanship plus fee waiver = 46129USD. personeal funds =0

so what will I select among the above options for this question

• 7 months later...
38 minutes ago, shoyemiademola said:

What is the process for receiving the i20 if you get admitted into a fully funded PhD program. I'm a fall 2020 aspirant

They mail it to your current mailing address. After you've decided which school to go to, you can contact the international office of the school to ask when you'll receive it etc. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, nitasia said:

I am worried that I will have to show proof of funding for 5 years of the course, as I have seen in most of the forums for MS students. So my question is - is it mandatory for PhD students to show documents of funding for 5 years of your course ?

No it is not mandatory, most of the funded PhD admits I know of (including myself) only showed their i20 and acceptance letter as the proof, even though the i20 only says it for one year. Also, if you are finding that weird, it's probably taken care of by the fact that every time you enter US, your i20 needs to have a signature from your college within the last one year. So that signature essentially acts as the proof that the funding status is continuing for you. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, nitasia said:

On 2/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, GeorgiaTechPhd said:

No it is not mandatory, most of the funded PhD admits I know of (including myself) only showed their i20 and acceptance letter as the proof, even though the i20 only says it for one year. Also, if you are finding that weird, it's probably taken care of by the fact that every time you enter US, your i20 needs to have a signature from your college within the last one year. So that signature essentially acts as the proof that the funding status is continuing for you. 

Just to add to this response. Schools are legally required to update your SEVIS profile on a regular basis and if/when any changes to your student status occur. That's why I am pretty sure you don't have to show funding beyond the first year. I imagine schools update funding info on your SEVIS profile on a year-by-year basis even if you are guaranteed funding for 5 years, mainly because funding amount might change a year later based on your assistantship/fellowship.