SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

Just now, sjalava said:

When they asked for my mailing address I was so tempted to beg them to just rip the bandaid off and reject me right that very second!

At least the grieving can start once we have our answer.

Was it a real person who emailed you about your address? Maybe they need a mailing address for the letterhead of the acceptance/refusal letter, which would indeed mean they are about to send them out. 

Just now, ponteix said:

At least the grieving can start once we have our answer.

Was it a real person who emailed you about your address? Maybe they need a mailing address for the letterhead of the acceptance/refusal letter, which would indeed mean they are about to send them out. 

It was a real person, she explicitly stated that they are in the process of preparing the result document for mailing!

Just now, sjalava said:

It was a real person, she explicitly stated that they are in the process of preparing the result document for mailing!

Oh wow! great! 

I'm still perplexed as to why they are telling some people it will be by email and others by mail. Maybe they are confusing the semantics of the word "mailing" out of bureaucratic rigor.

Just now, ponteix said:

Oh wow! great! 

I'm still perplexed as to why they are telling some people it will be by email and others by mail. Maybe they are confusing the semantics of the word "mailing" out of bureaucratic rigor.

It's hard to say, maybe the internal communication is poor so the messages are getting mixed up?

Just now, ponteix said:

Oh wow! great! 

I wonder if maybe they realised they couldn't actually create a portal in time for this wave of results? I mean, this is SSHRC that we are talking about... We still had to mail in our application last year ?

Just now, sjalava said:

It's hard to say, maybe the internal communication is poor so the messages are getting mixed up?

Wow. This indeed is confusing! Did they write back to you yet to explicitly answer if they would be physically mailed or electronically emailed?

Goodness....

Just now, inableakvision said:

I wonder if maybe they realised they couldn't actually create a portal in time for this wave of results? I mean, this is SSHRC that we are talking about... We still had to mail in our application last year ?

Just now, sjalava said:

Could be both at this point! 

If you're not a direct applicant there's also a good chance your school will let you know your results before you receive direct communication from SSHRC. There's an online portal that the schools have access to where SSHRC releases the results. Depending on your school they might notify you once they know, I know my school does from last year.

Edited by displaynamesarehard
typo

You know, she didn't actually say they were mailing the results, she simply requested a mailing address for the results document. Here is the exact email:

"Good morning,

We are in process of preparing the SSHRC Doctoral competition result document.  In the application that you have submitted to SSHRC, you did not identify a mailing address.  Can you please reply to this email and provide me with a mailing address?"

She has not responded to my follow up asking if they were mailing or releasing the results online this year. As Ponteix mentioned before, this could be for the letterhead of the results document and does not necessarily imply that they are mailing it out. Anyways, I'm probably overanalyzing this as usual!

Just now, displaynamesarehard said:

If you're not a direct applicant there's also a good chance you're school will let you know your results before you receive direct communication from SSHRC. There's an online portal that the schools have access to where SSHRC releases the results. Depending on your school they might notify you once they know, I know my school does from last year.

Usually they only let the successful applicants know. At least, that's what my school did last year. ?

Edited by inableakvision

Just now, sjalava said:

You know, she didn't actually say they were mailing the results, she simply requested a mailing address for the results document. Here is the exact email:

"Good morning,

We are in process of preparing the SSHRC Doctoral competition result document.  In the application that you have submitted to SSHRC, you did not identify a mailing address.  Can you please reply to this email and provide me with a mailing address?"

She has not responded to my follow up asking if they were mailing or releasing the results online this year. As Ponteix mentioned before, this could be for the letterhead of the results document and does not necessarily imply that they are mailing it out. Anyways, I'm probably overanalyzing this as usual!

Indeed, it could be for the letterhead. She did say "result document" afterall. And yeah, I was going to say that I am DEFINITIVELY overanalyzing this. Why am I like this?

1 minute ago, inableakvision said:

Usually they only let the successful applicants know. At least, that's what my school did last year. ?

My school let everyone know. They definitely let successful people know first but us less fortunate were soon after. 

1 hour ago, SpidersFromMars said:

Hi everyone,

I just came across this update posted on SSHRC's COVID-19 response page suggesting that results will be communicated electronically this year.

I have included the link and corresponding quote below for reference.

Good luck to everyone out there, fingers crossed!

"SSHRC Extranet for Applicants: Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRChas put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive an email with information on how to activate their account. Once results documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email invite to view the results."

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/covid-19-eng.aspx

Is this on the page anywhere? i can't find it...

8 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

Indeed, it could be for the letterhead. She did say "result document" afterall. And yeah, I was going to say that I am DEFINITIVELY overanalyzing this. Why am I like this?

I agree, why am I like this... I guess I'm utterly incapable of handling the unknown! ?

Just now, bluesnow said:

Yes...I'm the same...I'm now even more nervous about this!!! I've been checking on this every hour of the past three weeks (eeek).

Has anyone tried contacting their department to see if they know results now?

Same here. I contacted my grad admin yesterday and she has heard nothing. I tried the awards office today and haven't heard back yet.

Just now, bluesnow said:

Yes...I'm the same...I'm now even more nervous about this!!! I've been checking on this every hour of the past three weeks (eeek).

Has anyone tried contacting their department to see if they know results now?

oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one checking multiple times a day. And no, I haven't yet... as much I am looking forward to being free from the unknown, I'm honestly too scared to actually know my results.

Hi all, 

This is the message that our scholarship admin officer received from SSHRC about a week ago:

"Due to the unexpected circumstances that SSHRC has had to face in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not be releasing via mail the results of the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship and the doctoral Canadian Graduate Scholarship. Instead, we have had to develop a new means of releasing the results via a secure site. While we expect to be able to do so by the end of April, we were not able to release the results at the same time as our colleagues at NSERC."

Much confuse....

18 minutes ago, G_G said:

Hi all, 

This is the message that our scholarship admin officer received from SSHRC about a week ago:

"Due to the unexpected circumstances that SSHRC has had to face in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not be releasing via mail the results of the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship and the doctoral Canadian Graduate Scholarship. Instead, we have had to develop a new means of releasing the results via a secure site. While we expect to be able to do so by the end of April, we were not able to release the results at the same time as our colleagues at NSERC."

Much confuse....

Very confusing! It's hard to understand why they can't just have a fixed date and stick by it.

18 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

Looks like UBC and UOttawa have made a couple of SSHRC doctoral announcements on Twitter. Still waiting at the UofA.

I can't find any for the doctoral competition, only Masters and I think a postdoc. Are you sure that they were doctoral announcements?