SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

34 minutes ago, angrycrustacean said:

Sorry, I should have phrased my post more clearly. Say U of T was (for example) given a quota of 100 SSHRC awards this year. The school then selected their top 200 applications and forwarded them to SSHRC for adjudication, after which SSHRC’s top-ranked 100 U of T applications get the awards.

I thought there weren't any quotas for doctoral bursaries! 

50 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

Same, I thought that if there were any quotas at the doctoral level, they were for the number of applications forwarded, not received.

You're right! My mistake. There are quotas but they are just for nominations by the institution. I was going by a comment from my supervisor that of the number that get nominated by the university, 50% are successful. I took that to mean what I said a few posts ago, but my supervisor might have been making an off-the-cuff estimate, or maybe those are the stats that U of T finds on average.

10 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

I hope it happens either today or tomorrow at the latest. This is absolute torture. ?

at least by being sent out digitally, we don't have to wait for the letters to travel unevenly across the country.  We should all know pretty much at the same time (Assuming the site doesn't crash ?)  Do we know how quick it was for the NSERC applicants?

I was following the NSERC thread religiously and most of them got the extranet information on April 15 and then most got their results on April 16. Maybe we will be getting our accounts today and then the results tomorrow? I feel like they design this to be the most drawn out torturous process that they possibly can lol.

19 minutes ago, sjalava said:

I was following the NSERC thread religiously and most of them got the extranet information on April 15 and then most got their results on April 16. Maybe we will be getting our accounts today and then the results tomorrow? I feel like they design this to be the most drawn out torturous process that they possibly can lol.

This is what I'm hypothesizing, too!

2 minutes ago, psychstudent312 said:

They also just tweeted about the new Extranet so hopefully they will get things moving quickly now? Maybe our results will already be in there once we sign up for the account! The day is young!

now we just need the link to the extranet lol

2 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

My guess is they wait till it's 8:30 am in BC (how I rationalize not checking my email!)

That is an interesting rationale and it is helping me mentally haha

My take what might happen next:

I had a look at the NSERC thread and they received the Extranet communication by email in the morning of the 15th. Looks like we won't be getting that as it's been publicly announced and we will skip directly to receiving our access details which, going by the NSERC thread, should come this afternoon (NSERC applicants started getting their username/password at 2pm EST).

Just received this from my school's awards department. This is the information they received from SSHRC:

Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRC has put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive, via email, information on how to activate their account on the site. Once the result documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email inviting them to view the results.

We will begin rolling the results out in waves beginning tomorrow morning. All results should be available to students by end of day, Friday, May 1st.

Just now, purrito said:

Just received this from my school's awards department. This is the information they received from SSHRC:

Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRC has put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive, via email, information on how to activate their account on the site. Once the result documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email inviting them to view the results.

We will begin rolling the results out in waves beginning tomorrow morning. All results should be available to students by end of day, Friday, May 1st.

Finally, some solid information regarding the timeline!

2 minutes ago, purrito said:

Thanks for sharing this info! Looks like some of us will know tomorrow then, and some on Friday....

And now for that link to set up our result accounts....

8 minutes ago, purrito said:

I guess this means the May 1st start date for funding won't happen.

Just now, SweetP said:

I guess this means the May 1st start date for funding won't happen.

It might happen retroactively! I know that's what happened for my CGS-M a few years ago...  I was too late in telling them which start date I wanted due to illness but they were ok with May 1st nonetheless; I just got the deposit much later than most.