SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

10 hours ago, magicsana said:

Saw this on FB. Does this mean the results are out since it says 2019-2020?

2040553917_ScreenShot2020-04-17at10_34_55PM.png.47e48f46997e2bf6d3cc009510f4ff2c.png

2019-20 is last year's competition. It probably means she was on the waitlist and was bumped up to an award. It can take that long - I know someone who was bumped up from SSHRC to CGS after almost a year. ??‍♀️

10 hours ago, smallaxe said:

2019-20 is last year's competition. It probably means she was on the waitlist and was bumped up to an award. It can take that long - I know someone who was bumped up from SSHRC to CGS after almost a year. ??‍♀️

I'm not sure that's right -- wouldn't applications in Fall 2019 (so the results coming out soon) be part of the 2019-20 competition? 

Edited by kindnessprevails

The year refers to the year that you begin holding the award, not the year when you apply. Last year’s applicants began receiving funds in the 2019-2020 academic year, so it was considered the 2019-2020 competition. I applied this year and all communications from my awards office have referred to this cycle as the 2020-2021 competition.

Does anyone know whether or not unsuccessful applicants receive rejection letters/emails? Or is it just radio silence if you are not chosen for the award?

Just trying to mentally prepare myself...

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, lolplsfundme said:

Does anyone know whether or not unsuccessful applicants receive rejection letters/emails? Or is it just radio silence if you are not chosen for the award?

Just trying to mentally prepare myself...

Thanks in advance!

I was a direct applicant last year and received a physical rejection letter along with my "how the heck did I even get through to nationals" low score. ? It sucked, but it was clear.

11 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

The year refers to the year that you begin holding the award, not the year when you apply. Last year’s applicants began receiving funds in the 2019-2020 academic year, so it was considered the 2019-2020 competition. I applied this year and all communications from my awards office have referred to this cycle as the 2020-2021 competition.

Ah, got it. Thanks!

18 hours ago, angrycrustacean said:

I was a direct applicant last year and received a physical rejection letter along with my "how the heck did I even get through to nationals" low score. ? It sucked, but it was clear.

If it helps, your SSHRC score is made up of 2 scores. In the past couple years when I was rejected/waitlisted (with a low score each time! 10ish) I was surprised that one committee member would give me a high enough score to be awarded (6.5), and the second committee member would give me a really low score (3.6) (up until a 2.9 point difference between members doesn't require a committee review per SSHRC rules). So we may have one member who loves your project and a second member who just doesn't. I try not to take the score too personally. To a certain extent it comes down to the reviewers subjective take on your project. 

I just heard from my department's grad chair that SSHRC doctoral results are going to be released this week. Last year I was mailed a letter, but also had my school email me when they were told the results. I assume this year with everything being electronic that everyone will receive word from their school as soon as they're released hopefully.

9 minutes ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I just heard from my department's grad chair that SSHRC doctoral results are going to be released this week. Last year I was mailed a letter, but also had my school email me when they were told the results. I assume this year with everything being electronic that everyone will receive word from their school as soon as they're released hopefully.

Oh gosh, I am not ready, y'all ?but also SSHRC, please save us from the misery that is waiting for our results. ?

1 hour ago, displaynamesarehard said:

Oh really?? I hope they are going to be released this week. No-one seems to have a concrete date for it...

11 hours ago, elodie said:

If it helps, your SSHRC score is made up of 2 scores. In the past couple years when I was rejected/waitlisted (with a low score each time! 10ish) I was surprised that one committee member would give me a high enough score to be awarded (6.5), and the second committee member would give me a really low score (3.6) (up until a 2.9 point difference between members doesn't require a committee review per SSHRC rules). So we may have one member who loves your project and a second member who just doesn't. I try not to take the score too personally. To a certain extent it comes down to the reviewers subjective take on your project. 

Thank you! Yes, that's a good point and worth remembering if any of us get some less desirable numbers in the next couple of weeks. Keep the faith, everyone - the wait will be over so soon, and no bad luck at the hands of adjudicators will erase or invalidate the hard work we all did to get here.

10 hours ago, angrycrustacean said:

If you log into the SSHRC application portal, there is now a "messages" tab at the top. I think that that wasn't there before (anyone recall?). I would hazard a guess that our results will be sent there - probably an e-mail will direct us to go check.

Actually, I think it was always there. I actually just noticed I had a message from my university on it that dates from October 2019... I'm not sure it ever sent me an email to let me know, but that might be my bad memory.

45 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

Actually, I think it was always there. I actually just noticed I had a message from my university on it that dates from October 2019... I'm not sure it ever sent me an email to let me know, but that might be my bad memory.

My guess is the application could reappear under " List of Application Forms" since there is an "action" column. Good luck everyone! 

edit: I thought I saw Vanier dates for students to accept was April 22, I think SSHRC is almost always after Vanier students confirm, but I could be wrong if anyone knows better?

Edited by elodie

I'm a Canadian completing my PhD in the US; as such I don't expect to hear back from my institution about any results. I still keep checking my mailbox every day though. ?‍♀️

Edited by CarefreeWritingsontheWall

Any wild reality where today's announcement from the feds trickles down to SSHRC awarding more applicants??  

- extend expiring federal graduate research scholarships and postdoctoral fellowships, and supplement existing federal research grants, to support students and post-doctoral fellows, by providing $291.6 million to the federal granting councils. In addition, the government intends to enhance work opportunities for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows through the National Research Council of Canada.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/04/22/support-students-and-new-grads-affected-covid-19

Just now, elodie said:

Any wild reality where today's announcement from the feds trickles down to SSHRC awarding more applicants??  

- extend expiring federal graduate research scholarships and postdoctoral fellowships, and supplement existing federal research grants, to support students and post-doctoral fellows, by providing $291.6 million to the federal granting councils. In addition, the government intends to enhance work opportunities for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows through the National Research Council of Canada.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/04/22/support-students-and-new-grads-affected-covid-19

I was just thinking the exact same thing! I doubt it but again, we are living some wild times so I am now expecting the unexpected hahahaha

I got an email today asking for a mailing address because I guess I didn't provide one. They are in the process of sending out the results. I was hoping it would be electronic this year as alluded to before so I inquired about that and I'll let you guys know if I get a response!

Hi everyone,

I just came across this update posted on SSHRC's COVID-19 response page suggesting that results will be communicated electronically this year.

I have included the link and corresponding quote below for reference.

Good luck to everyone out there, fingers crossed!

"SSHRC Extranet for Applicants: Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRChas put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive an email with information on how to activate their account. Once results documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email invite to view the results."

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/covid-19-eng.aspx

47 minutes ago, SpidersFromMars said:

Hi everyone,

I just came across this update posted on SSHRC's COVID-19 response page suggesting that results will be communicated electronically this year.

I have included the link and corresponding quote below for reference.

Good luck to everyone out there, fingers crossed!

"SSHRC Extranet for Applicants: Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRChas put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive an email with information on how to activate their account. Once results documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email invite to view the results."

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/covid-19-eng.aspx

Hilariously, they removed this statement shortly after posting it. 

7 minutes ago, sjalava said:

Hilariously, they removed this statement shortly after posting it. 

Could it be that they are currently in the process of sending the results? 

If the results are going to come in this week, it's either today or tomorrow I suppose...