SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

My school said that SSHRC has traditionally announced the Doctoral competition results are typically released around April 24th annually so we should expect to hear something before the end of April. Last year I got the news on the last day of April.. 

Mmm...lots of varying statements on this of late.

Has anyone heard from SSHRC directly within the past day?

Late last week they told me (a person), not a Tweet, that results would be released through an online system and they expect to do so by the end of April. 

Also... the reason for me contacting SSHRC directly was to ask them if I needed to give a temporary mailing address as I'm with family. They did not take it from me or ask for it. I'm assuming with their online system response that they didn't take my temp address as they were 100% sure of results being online...

•  
Edited by bluesnow

1 hour ago, maplewalnut said:

My school said that SSHRC has traditionally announced the Doctoral competition results are typically released around April 24th annually so we should expect to hear something before the end of April. Last year I got the news on the last day of April.. 

I am wondering if we might hear today since they are not mailing the results but using an online format and today would have been when the mail would have gone out.  Trying to keep busy!

3 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

I am wondering if we might hear today since they are not mailing the results but using an online format and today would have been when the mail would have gone out.  Trying to keep busy!

Was thinking the same thing!! Really have to wonder what time of day they would pick to send all the responses. 

15 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

Yeah...my wishful thinking was that with results being online there is no need to go physically print, put in envelopes, wait for Canada post to process, send notification they have been posted etc., which might mean we get the results quicker. But then again, wishful thinking on my part! LOL

But then again...we would need a first email with how we access the system and results...and that hasn't been sent yet.

Edited by bluesnow

14 minutes ago, Threesisters said:

Last year letters weren't mailed until Apr. 30 - some institutions may have had access to results through their own SSHRC portal before that, but I believe most waited until they knew the envelopes were in the mail to notify their applicants. If you look at last year's thread a number of people heard from their institutions on Apr. 30. I was a direct applicant so I didn't know until I received snail mail on May 5ish - any news we hear before that is ahead of the curve!

Just now, angrycrustacean said:

Last year letters weren't mailed until Apr. 30 - some institutions may have had access to results through their own SSHRC portal before that, but I believe most waited until they knew the envelopes were in the mail to notify their applicants. If you look at last year's thread a number of people heard from their institutions on Apr. 30. I was a direct applicant so I didn't know until I received snail mail on May 5ish - any news we hear before that is ahead of the curve!

I guess I best get back to writing my literature review. Sigh. I hope you'all have a great weekend. I am in the Rockies so at least I have great scenery!

Happy Monday everyone! We made it through the weekend and if all goes according to plan, some or all of us will finally have some SSHRC closure this week. 

...in the meantime (largely speaking to myself here ?),  let’s do our best to attend fully to the people, tasks, and self-care that will be with us long after the momentary adrenaline of our results arriving. 

Edited by angrycrustacean

40 minutes ago, angrycrustacean said:

Happy Monday everyone! We made it through the weekend and if all goes according to plan, some or all of us will finally have some SSHRC closure this week. 

...in the meantime (largely speaking to myself here ?),  let’s do our best to attend fully to the people, tasks, and self-care that will be with us long after the momentary adrenaline of our results arriving. 

I really hope so. Weekend was the longest weekend I've ever had. Best of luck to everyone!

Got a reply back from SSHRC this morning regarding my question about releasing the results electronically and here is the response:

"Good morning,

Thank you for your mailing address.   Yes, SSHRC will be sharing the result electronically this year.  More detail to come this week."

More detail to come this week.. so looks like we could be waiting this week out together as well. Good luck comrades. 

4 minutes ago, sjalava said:

Got a reply back from SSHRC this morning regarding my question about releasing the results electronically and here is the response:

"Good morning,

Thank you for your mailing address.   Yes, SSHRC will be sharing the result electronically this year.  More detail to come this week."

More detail to come this week.. so looks like we could be waiting this week out together as well. Good luck comrades. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and yes! Best of luck to everyone ❤️)

9 minutes ago, sjalava said:

"Good morning,

Good to know. This actually aligns with what the user SpiderfromMars earlier posted, having found a now-deleted reference on the SSHRC site:

"SSHRC Extranet for Applicants: Due to the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, SSHRC has put in place a new process to communicate results to applicants. This includes a new platform: the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. This secure site will allow applicants to access the results of their SSHRC funding applications. Applicants will receive an email with information on how to activate their account. Once results documents have been uploaded, applicants will receive a subsequent email invite to view the results."

So if that holds true, the "more detail" is likely an invitation to sign up for Extranet, after which I guess we have another unknown length of time to wait.

Edited by angrycrustacean

I just got a reply from my school that they haven’t heard back yet either, as of 45min ago. So i guess at least we don’t have to stress that some people are aware of the results and that they’re just not telling us, lmao. :(

6 minutes ago, 70nks said:

I just got a reply from my school that they haven’t heard back yet either, as of 45min ago. So i guess at least we don’t have to stress that some people are aware of the results and that they’re just not telling us, lmao. :(

I suspect our schools will know before we will be able to check for our results on the new extranet portal. I guess contacting our school remains our best bet to get the answer ASAP.

1 hour ago, ponteix said:

I suspect our schools will know before we will be able to check for our results on the new extranet portal. I guess contacting our school remains our best bet to get the answer ASAP.

Have you tried with your school? 

I checked last week and they didn't know anything... 

1 hour ago, ponteix said:

Yes, although you're at the mercy of the institution's rules. Last year on Apr. 30 I e-mailed the school of graduate studies at UofT after seeing some folks on here having heard from their departments at the same school. I got a curt response that "results haven't been released yet" and "we don't release results directly to students." 

I think that sometimes people hear early from sources in their department (e.g. dean or whatever) that have access to the info but aren't officially supposed to say anything yet. Now that I'm not a direct applicant I'm hoping that will happen to me. 

53 minutes ago, angrycrustacean said:

Yes, although you're at the mercy of the institution's rules. Last year on Apr. 30 I e-mailed the school of graduate studies at UofT after seeing some folks on here having heard from their departments at the same school. I got a curt response that "results haven't been released yet" and "we don't release results directly to students." 

I think that sometimes people hear early from sources in their department (e.g. dean or whatever) that have access to the info but aren't officially supposed to say anything yet. Now that I'm not a direct applicant I'm hoping that will happen to me. 

I'm at UMontreal and the person in charge of grants and bursaries told me she would let me know the moment she got word of any results. However, considering everyone is working from home, it's possible they aren't checking the SSHRC portal every day.