SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

1 hour ago I saw a tweet from Dalhousie congratulating their student for winning the SSHRC Joseph-Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship! I searched "SSHRC" on twitter and looked at the "latest" posts.

Edit: I have looked into it more and I think that it may be the Masters competition..

Edited by psychstudent312
Found more info

Just now, psychstudent312 said:

1 hour ago I saw a tweet from Dalhousie congratulating their student for winning the SSHRC Joseph-Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship! I searched "SSHRC" on twitter and looked at the "latest" posts.

ooh I see that! Can anyone tell me though how the joseph-bombardier scholarship relates to the rest of the doctoral competitions? I can't even remember the difference between PGSM and CGSM or whatever it is...

1 minute ago, psychstudent312 said:

It was for a masters scholarship

1 hour ago, G_G said:

no helpful information from me..... just sharing the pain of having to go through another week(?) with no word of results possibly ?

Take and care try not to let your email control your life like I'm letting mine.... ? 

G

and from my grad awards office "Nothing yet, but, hopefully soon."  At least the wait is less than one week...hopefully.

19 hours ago, sjalava said:

ooh I see that! Can anyone tell me though how the joseph-bombardier scholarship relates to the rest of the doctoral competitions? I can't even remember the difference between PGSM and CGSM or whatever it is...

When you apply for SSHRC doctoral fellowship, you are automatically considered for Joseph-Bombardier CGS-D - which gives you $35,000 (some people call it the big SSHRC or super SSHRC) instead of $20000 (SSHRC doctoral fellowship). So the successful candidates who rank higher get CGS-D. 

26 minutes ago, maplewalnut said:

When you apply for SSHRC doctoral fellowship, you are automatically considered for Joseph-Bombardier CGS-D - which gives you $35,000 (some people call it the big SSHRC or super SSHRC) instead of $20000 (SSHRC doctoral fellowship). So the successful candidates who rank higher get CGS-D. 

Is it also the case that CGS-D is only offered to 1st and 2nd year students? Or is it awarded at higher levels as well (year 3, 4 etc)?

5 minutes ago, elodie said:

Is it also the case that CGS-D is only offered to 1st and 2nd year students? Or is it awarded at higher levels as well (year 3, 4 etc)?

According to https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSD-BESCD_eng.asp, only those who have completed 24 months or less (36 months if you are direct entry from undergrad to PhD) are eligible for CGS-D. So I guess it's only for 1st and 2nd year students. 

Edited by maplewalnut

4 minutes ago, maplewalnut said:

According to https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSD-BESCD_eng.asp, only those who have completed 24 months or less (36 months if you are direct entry from undergrad to PhD) are eligible for CGS-D. So I guess it's only for 1st and 2nd year students. 

The website says under eligibility: have completed no more than 24 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by December 31 of the year of application (no more than 36 months if transferred directly from Bachelors to a PhD or enrolled in a joint program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD);

Is the year of application not 2019? And the year of award would be 2020? So then it would apply to students going into Years 1, 2 AND 3?

14 minutes ago, psychstudent312 said:

The website says under eligibility: have completed no more than 24 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by December 31 of the year of application (no more than 36 months if transferred directly from Bachelors to a PhD or enrolled in a joint program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD);

Is the year of application not 2019? And the year of award would be 2020? So then it would apply to students going into Years 1, 2 AND 3?

I think you're correct, CGS is for those entering year 1, 2, or 3. Students currently in year 3 and up only eligible for 'small SSHRC'.

14 minutes ago, ponteix said:

Hey does anyone know what the difference is between list A and list B in the results from last year?

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

I wonder if it is total applicants, and then the final round, national level competition?  

Edited by JHSinclair

Does anyone know, for the NSERC folks, once they were notified about the Extranet portal and asked to register, how soon after were the results released? I am wondering if we will be asked to register and then wait another day for results, or if we will register and find the results right away? At this rate it feels like we won't know our results until Thursday.

8 minutes ago, elodie said:

Does anyone know, for the NSERC folks, once they were notified about the Extranet portal and asked to register, how soon after were the results released? I am wondering if we will be asked to register and then wait another day for results, or if we will register and find the results right away? At this rate it feels like we won't know our results until Thursday.

1 hour ago, bluesnow said:

Was this sent the day before the results were released? 

1 hour ago, bluesnow said:

Was this sent the day before the results were released? 

It was posted on twitter on the 15th of April so I assume that person got it that day, the day before announcements, but can't be certain.

1 hour ago, Threesisters said:

and 80% of us will wonder why we spent so much mental energy on this deductive reasoning while the other 20% celebrate!

? I’m deliberately frontloading my tasks this week so that I have time to wallow in sorrow if results day goes badly. Hopefully we have better odds than 20%, though. Direct applications might be a bloodbath since there wasn’t a first round for them this year, but I’m told that UofT forwarded double their award quota - so for UofT and probably some other schools it’s theoretically only 50% that will get axed. Not that I’d bet my life on those odds!

31 minutes ago, 70nks said:

Whaaaaat? How ballsy and frankly entitled is that?! And how are they even allowwd/able to do that?! 

Sorry, I should have phrased my post more clearly. Say U of T was (for example) given a quota of 100 SSHRC awards this year. The school then selected their top 200 applications and forwarded them to SSHRC for adjudication, after which SSHRC’s top-ranked 100 U of T applications get the awards.

Edited by angrycrustacean