I failed my thesis.

Adelaide9216

6 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Just some news: I am resubmitting this week. Two of the three professors gave me their comments already, and they both said they would be highly surprised if I fail again. I hope the examiner will feel the same way!

I still have a few changes to make but nothing major in their opinion. 

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

@Adelaide9216 Thank you for sharing this incredibly challenging moment in your academic life. If you are well known in your field then this is only a temporary set back regardless of the outcome. I've only read a few of the comments but your situation is eye-opening and will absolutely be a teaching moment for others in the forum. Wishing you the best!

Thanks @LEANCO10. It's been a teaching moment for me too. If I pass, I definetly have a lot more skills to persevere at the PhD level and in academia. It was not fun, but I hope it will all soon be behind me so I can move forward with my dream of doing a PhD. 

15 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Thanks @LEANCO10. It's been a teaching moment for me too. If I pass, I definetly have a lot more skills to persevere at the PhD level and in academia. It was not fun, but I hope it will all soon be behind me so I can move forward with my dream of doing a PhD. 

Do you know when you are supposed to get your result?

1 hour ago, TwirlingBlades said:

Do you know when you are supposed to get your result?

It’s 4 weeks at my university. Next week it’s going to be four weeks since resubmission. But on the first submission, the examiner gave her report one month late.

33 minutes ago, LEANCO10 said:

Submitting your evaluation a month later than the deadline and also failing you seems very...deliberate on the examiner's part. 

I am inclined to agree.

Many people around me think the same as you two @telkanuru and @LEANCO10. I really want to believe she has good faith. Worst case scenario, we're going to appeal to get a new examiner. I feel more confident about the quality of my work since three different professors said my thesis is above the standards for a master's thesis. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 2 weeks later...

Can you submit a complaint or have another professor be part of the evaluation process? It seems quite problematic to have a single person responsible for a review. Just speaking as a person from one of the many communities traditionally discriminated against in all industries. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

First deadline was this Wednesday. Then, it was supposed to be today. I still have no news about my grade.

Yeah, but it's summer. Academic deadlines are always more like guidelines than rules, and it's worse in the summer. 

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

She was asked twice by my university if she was available to re-evaluate my thesis this summer, both times she said yes.

There's still a lot of time left until it is the end of the month! I know this probably won't help a lot, but try to stay positive (and otherwise, you have every right to throw a massive fit at your university since they're breaking policy, not you. I had a similar situation and ended up getting $$$ through the ombudsperson, since obviously the uni was at mistake (in my situation))

I'd contact the department head and director of the grad school, personally, to let them know what's going on re: the deadline. No harm in CC'ing General Counsel (the university's legal department) either. If they're breaking their own policies and that causes you to lose your scholarship, that makes them liable. Probably better to contact them now instead of after the deadline. I know that sounds aggressive, but advocating for yourself is really important, and it's better to be prepared by contacting people earlier than having to do it later, IMO. Wishing you luck.

Edited by lkaitlyn