Plan B

I had a couple of options, but I probably would have tried to get my SLPA while working and then gone onto apply again(probably retake the GRE to get a higher score if possible). I also could have gone abroad to teach with my certificate from undergrad, but that would've been difficult for my personal situation. 

Edited by slptobe!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, LaceySpeechie said:

Not precisely a plan B, but when I ultimately chose not to apply to grad school immediately after undergrad I ended up teaching English abroad.

Did you teach abroad through a program? And do you have your TESL certification?

2 hours ago, wugglewuggle said:

Did you teach abroad through a program? And do you have your TESL certification?

No, I don't have a TEFL/TESL! I'm in Spain and if you're from the US, basically the only way to work here is through getting a student visa, which means it's easiest to come with a program. I'd recommend BEDA (which is what I'm with) or Auxiliares de Conversación through the Spanish ministry, though there are several other programs too. But I know that there are a lot of opportunities to teach English abroad (and I've got several friends who've done so in Japan, China, South Korea, and Thailand), and if you're still in university it could be worth applying to the Fulbright ETA program (quite prestigious if you get in). Most programs require you to apply anywhere from a year before to a few months before, but perhaps with a TEFL/TESL and depending on where you're trying to go, you could get a certificate now and look for a job in the fall.

• 2 months later...

I applied for Fall, Spring, and Summer admittance to no avail, I was going to allow myself one more chance as well as applying for my plan B (MS in ABA). Found out I was accepted for my plan B and then finally got in grad school for SLP 2 minutes later! Never give up on your goals, if you work hard and persevere, you will get there!