2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

4 hours ago, memory_trace said:

I did receive one from Princeton Neuroscience. GPA 3.4, GRE 160/170/3.5, have a BSc outside US this summer, two first author manuscripts, two in preparation.  Worked on a very relevant topic with a PI’s work.

If anyone knows how many invitations this program send each year? Thanks in advance.

Nice!! Congrats! I would love to talk more in details about your profile any time if you dont mind. I didnt get the interview, but I would like to figure it out if I had any chance next year.

I only had one manuscript in preparation, but 3 other co-authorship publications (1 conference paper). 3.4 gpa undergrad, 4.0 Master. Relevant work to a PI, but maybe If I had my manuscript on biorxiv, it would help to show it. I had strong LORs, but a old PI manage to mess up with a letter ?

Still, please let me know if you would like to chat a little bit. Congrats again! :)

6 hours ago, Mimititi said:

Thank you both! Good to know! I did not receive a rejection nor an invitation...does this mean a rejection is imminent?

Does anyone know about Colorado-Boulder (Behavioral Neuro), by the way? 

I think so. I didnt received the rejection too (from Princeton), but by how it was in the last years seems that is the sign heheh.

9 minutes ago, AdamSugi said:

I think so. I didnt received the rejection too (from Princeton), but by how it was in the last years seems that is the sign heheh.

I always wonder why the programs wait to send rejections? I guess they’re gauging the response from their top picks (who likely are the top picks of others). 

37 minutes ago, AdamSugi said:

Nice!! Congrats! I would love to talk more in details about your profile any time if you dont mind. I didnt get the interview, but I would like to figure it out if I had any chance next year.

I only had one manuscript in preparation, but 3 other co-authorship publications (1 conference paper). 3.4 gpa undergrad, 4.0 Master. Relevant work to a PI, but maybe If I had my manuscript on biorxiv, it would help to show it. I had strong LORs, but a old PI manage to mess up with a letter ?

Still, please let me know if you would like to chat a little bit. Congrats again! :)

Sure, I have sent message to you. Thanks and good luck!

3 hours ago, Mimititi said:

I always wonder why the programs wait to send rejections? I guess they’re gauging the response from their top picks (who likely are the top picks of others). 

Top applicants sometimes reject interviews. I know a young professor who got in to Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, and Berkeley who rejected interviews from other programs. So maybe they are waiting to see if they have more spots before sending rejections?

Hi everyone!

I am an international student and I haven’t yet heard about any of the programs I have applied to, not even rejections (which I expect from most of them though, as they are all top league universities) do you think I should be asking them if they have finished sending out interviews or wait until January?

A little more on my background:

international student, no gre, 117/120 in toefl, doble undergrad in pharmacy and biotechnology GPA:3,95/4,00. Graduated as top of my class (1/80 I think, but I’m not sure how many people there are in my program to be honest) , 40/49 subjects in undergrad grades with honors, and my studies were funded completely by my university and regional government. Received other awards and scholarships based on my academic achievements throughout my undergrad

No publications. bachelor thesis graded with honors and 3 years of experience working in a neuro pharmacology lab in my uni with an scholarhip+1 summer internship abroad+ future (starting in March) Erasmus research stay in Karolinska Institute working on Alzheimer’s.

Spent a semester in Uchicago (one of the universities I applied too) and managed to get recommendation letter from one of my professors there (not research related though, she has a law and entrepreneurship background)+ 2 recommendations letter one form my PI in Spain and another from professors in my undergrad.

I know that just good grades won’t get me into any program, so be sincere please on your opinions.

Thank you.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:15 PM, RobertMoog said:

I applied for Harvard as well and didn't hear anything today :( so far a rejection from U Michigan, interview from Caltech. 

I wonder if they have a different schedule for international applicants...? 

CSHL is great, a colleague from my lab worked there, and she liked it :) 

Good luck! 

Did you apply direct to U Mich neuroscience or through PIBS?

20 minutes ago, frannicole said:

Does anyone know what it means if you haven’t heard from a school that has sent out both interviews and rejections? Does that mean you’re “waitlisted” for an interview?

Which ones have you seen send out rejections for neuroscience (besides Northwestern)? I don't feel like any of the ones I've applied to have yet, which puts me in limbo on a bunch. But yes, to answer your question, I'd imagine that to be the case...

1 hour ago, Mimititi said:

Which ones have you seen send out rejections for neuroscience (besides Northwestern)? I don't feel like any of the ones I've applied to have yet, which puts me in limbo on a bunch. But yes, to answer your question, I'd imagine that to be the case...

I saw on the results page UMich sent out a bunch of rejections but also a bunch of interviews. I haven’t heard anything. Also a weird kind of limbo, but even worse if schools you applied to haven’t even sent out rejections...

20 minutes ago, lil_neuron said:

i dont want to put you on the spot but.... how are you organizing all of these interviews your getting??  you are superstar right now

I am 7 for 7 on interviews and I still am waiting on 4 schools. Tbh I did not anticipate this happening so I am kind of beside myself, lol. I may have to turn down interviews. 

1 minute ago, lencarn said:

I am 7 for 7 on interviews and I still am waiting on 4 schools. Tbh I did not anticipate this happening so I am kind of beside myself, lol. I may have to turn down interviews. 

are you an international applicant?

I thought I'd provide a little balance against the dude getting interviews at every school he / she applied to. You know, for those of us with anxiety issues.

I applied to 12 and am currently 2 for 8. 

Interviews at Upenn and Michigan.

No interviews at Harvard, UCSF (rejected), Northwestern (but not rejected?), Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Berkeley (my number 2 RIP )

Waiting on WashU, UCSD, Stanford (lol), and Yale.